SAU Community

Just A Few Questions.

Well, I don't really know much but this is my reasoning for getting bilsteins rather than BC coilovers or tein super streets.

Most coilover units are made with twin tube shocks, "The main drawback of a twin-tube damper is that its damping force is not as sensitive nor as repeatable as a mono-tube."

So apparently monotubes are a superior type of shock absorber to the twin tubes... this was also covered in a number of different threads on these forums

for virtually the same price, you're getting monos instead of twins?

And my final reason is that by doing this I can first purchase shocks, then springs ... lowering my instant cost .. the shocks alone will cost about 1k at the moment, and I can then purchase the 600 dollar springs at a later time leaving my pockets slightly less damaged in the meantime :)

As I said before I'm not the smartest guy around, I dont know much, but from reading the forums most people have said that monos are better shocks.

However, I reckon both are good enough for street use, just dont go crazy on the stiffness unless you're into that sorta thing .. I doubt at a street level there'd be a large amount of difference? The price difference is minimal also ..

Tons of people have sworn by Tein Super streets, BC BR Coilovers, and others have also loved their suspension set ups from sydneykid. In the end I think their all good options, and I was just pointing out another option to converge :)

I think it all comes down to prefernce. I personally didnt like having a set height with normal springs. So once you have them you cant do anything but live with how it sits. Where as with coilovers if you wanna do a track day just jack her up and lower and tweak away, and for day to day driving you can raise it another 10mm or whatever.

To be honest i wasnt that happy with my bilsteins, when i had kyb agx's on my ae86 they were awesome, i reckon they would be a better option then bilsteins, atleast they have adjustability for bump and rebound.

Anyways the wheel specs look spot on though.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bilstiens can be had with circlip style adjustments like mine, I prefer to have my car set up to handle correctly at all times, the only thing I sometimes change is camber if I will be doing alot of street driving on street tyres and not semi slicks, dont be fooled by thinking that lowering your car will make it handle better, to a point it will but past that point your steering geometery will be affected and your handling will suffer.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/handling-ride-height-low-too-low-19274.html?amp;

All i can say to add to everyone else's input is that i went is that with my experience i went from Stiffer shocks and lowered springs to coilovers and was amazed by the difference. They feel alot stiffer then what i had but aren't as harsh and seem to absord the road better. If that makes any sence. Also if you have coilovers you can set them at a hight which suits where you drive ie; your driveway. Should you move house and it turns out you have clearance issues, it's easily solved with some minor adjustments. If you have lowered springs, you don't have this freedom. Just another thing to make you decision that little bit harder. haha.

Looking forward to see which way you go.

Cheers

I think I might have to go with the BC BR Coilovers, it's pretty much my only option as I need the adjust-ability.

I have a fairly steep driveway, my parents stock height Camry's exhaust will scrape if not on an angle going down......:laugh:

So I guess I will need it pretty high for now, but later this year when studying full time I will be moving down to Melbourne and living in the City, so I can lower it down then :thumbsup:

Hey buddy,

id agree with johnno and converge ,

I have an r33 gtst and i believe ive got the most aggressive offsets and lowering that i can have,

i got 18#9.5 front and back with 245/45 all round, with tein coilovers all round, which sit just above the tyres

all the arches had to be rolled cost bout $50 an arch and worth it, they stick out being 30 offset and on the front they rub abit with a full lock, but not really on the fenders more on the inside cover if you know what i mean, but quite bearable,

so im guessing that would be same on a 34, or if your really conservative and concerned then go no more than 9inch wide on front,

i got the tein coilovers second hand and work well but bit harsh on aussie roads for $800 front and back, and wheels and tyres for $2000 new

hope that helps some...

Thanks for the info guys, Will keep you updated :thumbsup:

Will be ordering my wheels soon, but have a dilemma.

Car is white, should I get Gunmetal or Bronze?

Just so happens someone on the forums has a R34 with MGM CR Kai's :laugh:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/fragmentedperception/Cars/R34%2025GT/Jay-R34-Lowered-091.jpg

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/media/gallery/10/150_full.JPG

Hey buddy,

id agree with johnno and converge ,

I have an r33 gtst and i believe ive got the most aggressive offsets and lowering that i can have,

i got 18#9.5 front and back with 245/45 all round, with tein coilovers all round, which sit just above the tyres

all the arches had to be rolled cost bout $50 an arch and worth it, they stick out being 30 offset and on the front they rub abit with a full lock, but not really on the fenders more on the inside cover if you know what i mean, but quite bearable,

so im guessing that would be same on a 34, or if your really conservative and concerned then go no more than 9inch wide on front,

i got the tein coilovers second hand and work well but bit harsh on aussie roads for $800 front and back, and wheels and tyres for $2000 new

hope that helps some...

not even close to the most agressive specs you can have on a 33

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Small update, ordered some BC BR Coilovers from JustJap yesterday, wheels have arrived and are a good fit!

Might do a Coilover install guide for the R34 as there isn't one (Although it's probably similar to the R33 install), not sure if I will though, as it's my first time and it's gonna take me long enough as it is. :rofl2:

haha awesome. Which wheels did you go with in the end? And i'm guessing you found out which type of coilovers you need? Looking forward to seeing the end result. Oh and i'm also demanding before and after pics for wheels and coilovers. Cheers

haha awesome. Which wheels did you go with in the end? And i'm guessing you found out which type of coilovers you need? Looking forward to seeing the end result. Oh and i'm also demanding before and after pics for wheels and coilovers. Cheers

Ended up with Silver Koya Drift Teks with some Nitto NT05 rubbers on them, not sure what I think of them yet, maybe because the car is too high atm, will have to wait on the coilovers. :D

I'll be sure to get some pics when it's all done. :thumbsup:

hi here is my car with its new project d wheels they look cool but i think the ride still sits to high IMO.

i already have to get the front guards rolled tomorrow due to them scraping when i hit slight bumps.

what are your guys oppinions looks low enough or lower (back looks really high)?

cheers.

post-79758-0-70891200-1309264342_thumb.jpg

looks really high in this pic.

There's something that just doesn't look right, I get the same feeling with mine.

Seems like it's too high or the wheels are too big, something just looks odd.

Can't quite put my finger on it....

EDIT: Maybe try more low?

Edited by Converge