SAU Community

Legacy B4 Tt

Hey guys/gals,

I have a 1996 R33 GTS25-T Manual, and being my 6th Skyline i have grown bored of it and ready for the next car:

I have had a SR20DET s14 Silvia, a 1UZFE Soarer, and every type of Skyline excluding a GTR.

I am starting to feel the need for something less 'boy-racer'

What do you guys think of the 1998-2002 Legacy B4's? I know nothing about them except that they are twin-turbo boxer's and they are extremely good looking cars.

Can anyone tell me anything about how they feel to drive and their reliability? I can't test drive one because car dealer's think a 21 year old just wants to thrash them.

I have attached pictures of my current Skyline and the type of B4's i'm talking about (in Australia i think you call them Liberty? I'm from NZ)

post-32048-0-75192400-1305504771_thumb.jpg

post-32048-0-07187400-1305504778_thumb.jpg

Note: In New Zealand these two cars are roughly the same price on the market.

Cheers for any feedback

Edited by rorz

the B4 would be quicker than a regular WRX but Slower than an STi

and yeah the wrx's are single turbo,

But same gearbox/drive line as a WRX, same brakes etc

It's a very well balanced car - AWD

You might wish to get a thicker RSB with HD links for even better cornering

Engine mods might be limited as many other things need to be changed if upgrading propellers.

Sound system from USA is superb.

Beware the "valley of death". The TT's had a laggy hole between the smaller turbo handing over to the larger one.

This can be fixed by ditching the twin setup and its convoluted piping system and chucking a vf23 on it, then itll go good.

Just find a single turbo unit, you will be much happier.

Yeah i've talked to a few people who have said the twin-turbo set up is really distracting when you hit the lag, i wonder if it's worth it when the second turbo kicks in..

The b4s are ok. I used to work on them.

There not quicker then a wrx, dont let the twin turbo fool you. It was designed more for better torque then outright power.

Homestly i wouldnt bother. Youll get bored of it pretty quickly.

They are a nice car though. It will be realiable and comfy but thats about it.

Not to mention that if you want a wagon they're very rare, only available as personal imports.

And yes, the lag before the change to the big turbo is pretty woeful. The Legnum, performance wise, is a much nicer car to live with.

Yeah i had actually thought about getting a Vr4 but i've heard nothing but terrible things about their reliability, especially in the way of lifters and transfer cases.

Yeah i had actually thought about getting a Vr4 but i've heard nothing but terrible things about their reliability, especially in the way of lifters and transfer cases.

Have you heard about the Subaru driveline?

not sure what you are talking about with the valley of death (boost) mine is fine. 1st comes in at 1800 swaps at 3800 and pulls hard to the 6800 cut off. I have that drive line in this:

04012008.jpg

I did trick up the autobox a bit though.

depends.

the early BG5s had the early motor in them with the crap heads. . they swapped in the BH5 to teh WRX style engine and the boxes were geared different. unsure about the toyota ones. I know BG5 and earlier quite well.

So useful information to be derived here: annoying turbo lag, unreliable drive-train?

Hmm.. my Skyline has zero turbo lag and a solid drive-line... starting to back off on the idea of a B4 now..