SAU Community

Washing Your Car With Kerosene

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VNS24 i used to love meg's too, but have a go at some Final Inspection products ... amazing stuff

I am with you here mate, I only use Final Inspection products now

See I hate Meguiars. Refuse to let it anywhere near my car. Anything that contains silicon can geeet owt.

Glad Final Inspection products were mentioned, I'm a big fan of their range.

I haven't heard of that product name before. :P

Alot of positive remarks, so I will give it a try when my Meguiar's products run out.

I believe I can buy Final Inspection products at any local shops?

Edited by VNS 24

Victor - me personally use a "few" megs products for my detailing gig.. the products i use are:

the odour remover (smells good)

dash protectant (smells + looks good without being glossy)

tyre shine (it's super shiney, only use this for customers who have nice rims though, otherwise it's the $4 can if they just have stockies / hubcaps)

paint stuff i don't use meguiars. it's over marketed over priced and has too many "wow" additives and not enough "cleaning" additives.

as martin said - silicone is one of them. it's great for making your paint shine "today" but as soon as rain hits it it turns your wax to milk =/

kerosene on cars, never heard of it... but it sounds like something that your dad would most likely yell at you for doing as a kid. like running with scissors.

curently i'm using a brand from the USA that's a small business called auto magic.. or detail magic..

it's a small business that costs a lot. which appeals to my soul. =/

in further news i've started wearing Butter goods clothing. my friend Garth runs it.

it's a small company that costs a lot. that also speaks to my soul. and you should now all go buy some Butter goods. :)

FI Stuff is available online at Finalinspection.com.au :) haha

Yeah I agree meg's is overpriced for off the shelf products, they do do a good job, but there's tons of better stuff out there

Alot of their stuff smells pretty good though :D

The Megs tyre shine gel is the best I have used to date. Easy to apply with a curved applicator, extrememly high shine and one bottle lasts you a year or more. It used to be black and stain your fingers a lot. But nowadays it is clear and no where near as bad.

I have the gel tyre shine .. I don't have a very good applicator though just use an old sponge ... leads to crappy application and tons of sling all over my guards :( probably due to crappy applicator and crappy application skills

Regarding using kerosene - the trick is not to let it sit for too long - as some rubbers parts could be damaged in the long term.

You should only use it as a "heavy duty" pre-wash.

Roughly 3/4 cup of kerosene to 9 liters of warm water.

Excellent for removing road grime (tar), insects, bird sh*t, stains, water spotting.

---

- Park car in the shade

- Rinse your car with plain water 1st

- Use the kerosene and warm water mix with a fine sponge - rub away any stains

- Then wash the car as per usual etc. etc.

Regarding using kerosene - the trick is not to let it sit for too long - as some rubbers parts could be damaged in the long term.

You should only use it as a "heavy duty" pre-wash.

Roughly 3/4 cup of kerosene to 9 liters of warm water.

Excellent for removing road grime (tar), insects, bird sh*t, stains, water spotting.

Park car in the shade

Rinse your car with plain water 1st

Use the kerosene and warm water mix with a fine sponge - rub away any stains

Then wash the car as per usual etc. etc.

• 4 weeks later...

i also use megs.. have always been happy with the finish, my problem is always as soon as i wash it you can put money on it to be raining the next day.

and midnight purple is not the best colour to clean, and to maintain its finish!!!

im very interested in this "Final inspection" it all looks good, people have left positive feedback! i will definatly give these products a go!!!

i also use megs.. have always been happy with the finish, my problem is always as soon as i wash it you can put money on it to be raining the next day.

midnight purple is not the best colour to clean, and to maintain its finish!!!

im very interested in this "Final inspection" it all looks good, people have left positive feedback! i will definatly give these products a go!!!

i had my car painted 2 pack clear over metallic 3 years ago. from its first wash it received a kerosene wash every few months, it works great, i learnt it from when i used to work washing buses, i always had to wash the buses with kero.

I never had a problem with it damaging anything ever, i spray it on with a spray bottle after then wipe the car with a rag then rinse off, sometimes i used to wash the car with normal car wash afterwards, but no need to really.

i had my car painted 2 pack clear over metallic 3 years ago. from its first wash it received a kerosene wash every few months, it works great, i learnt it from when i used to work washing buses, i always had to wash the buses with kero. I never had a problem with it damaging anything ever,

i spray it on with a spray bottle after then wipe the car with a rag then rinse off, sometimes i used to wash the car with normal car wash afterwards, but no need to really.

If i am doing a proper detail on my car.

(full clay, polish,sealant, wax)

I will use some citrus cleaner diluted in some warm water to remove the old wax and crap.

I wouldnt be using Kero. Just sounds nasty.

If i am doing a proper detail on my car.

(full clay, polish,sealant, wax)

I will use some citrus cleaner diluted in some warm water to remove the old wax and crap.

I wouldnt be using Kero. Just sounds nasty.

Most Sealants need some time before you apply a wax layer on top mate, just be careful of that

I think there's a 72 hour (bonding? cant remember the word) period for FI SEAL before adding another layer or a wax on top

Again in regards to using kerosene I don't think its a great idea ...