SAU Community

Launch Control

Is there any that dont have the anti lag effect that is well known to blow engines and turbo's?

If there isnt is there any that are safer to use than others?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what does the gizmo launch interface do?

anti lag boxes run spark cut and retard timing

which is the killer and does the bang bang boost on tap type arrangement

launch control that lets you consistently get off the line is what you want

pretty much what the powerfc does with its pro control 0km/h launch

ie floor it and revs cap at whatever you like when speed = 0km/h

so all you have to worry about is clutching off the line properly and getting traction

from what i have read the gizzmo is the same as the Bee R which is not what i would like, the power fc would be good but i dont have the pro and dont recall ever seeing one for sale (not that i have searched for it) i am also assuming that there is no way to get this feature on a standard power fc?

That's the only way to have launch control. Well there is one other option that involves your right foot

PFC pro does exactly the same as the bee-r and the others

PFC pro does exactly the same as the bee-r and the others

Not that i was thinking of buying a pfc pro just for the launch control but are you saying that its launch control is anti lag?

Would be happy to have anti lag if it was a bit kinda on the turbo and engine but also has to limit how much boost it makes, pointless making 18psi standing still unless all you want is melted tyres (or are running massive slicks!)

no its not anti lag, its exactly the same as the normal rev limiter (ignition cut on pro) just set to whatever rpm you want, it then uses the normal limiter as soon as you hit 1km/h

2 step limiter and Anti-lag are too completely unrelated things

One uses an AAC valve to let air into the plenum and is setup to pump heaps of fuel into the motor while running massivly retarded ignition timing to crete huge EGTs to turn the turbo.

The other is a rev limiter.

2 step limiter and Anti-lag are too completely unrelated things

One uses an AAC valve to let air into the plenum and is setup to pump heaps of fuel into the motor while running massivly retarded ignition timing to crete huge EGTs to turn the turbo.

The other is a rev limiter.

So what you're saying is the launch control of say Vipec or PFC Dejetro/Pro are 2 step limiter which limits the rev but launch without boost. Whereas something that has anti-lag capability gives you the option of launching with boost? If so, whats the product that allows you to do that? I'm not trying to be a smartass but this is something I'm unsure and would love to know or have some clarification about.

Cheers

A 2 step can and will give boost at wot, anti lag is designed to pressurise the intkaye when the throttle is xclosed, so when you open the throttle at corner exit you already have +ve pressure and cab blast out of the corner without lag.

applogis for the speliing, been drinking

Im intrested in this to, is there an add on for a power fc? since i already have one? or na?

No add on for PFC only the pro version had it, and works nicely I have the pro version and it launches hard well worth the search for one!!

Saying that I believe there is one for sale by "blitz"

A 2 step can and will give boost at wot, anti lag is designed to pressurise the intkaye when the throttle is xclosed, so when you open the throttle at corner exit you already have +ve pressure and cab blast out of the corner without lag.

applogis for the speliing, been drinking

So what understand through here and other research is that a 2 step or any other after market rev limiter have the same effect as anti lag IE: creates boost when stationary by retarding the ignition to a point where the combustion pretty much happens in the manifold which is what spools the turbo.

The only difference between an after market limiter or 2 step and anti lag is that the only time you get this effect with a limiter is when your sitting on the limiter?

The problem is that this is exactly what i wish to do but with out the harsh effect if the ignition retarding so far and doing all the things that cause damage, a little bit of that effect would be fine just not to the point where it will start blowing turbo's, engines and oil pumps or where it will be making 18psi on the line and i will just be turning the tyres on launch.

So far the only set up that i can think of that will be a comprimise would be to use different boost controller settings, my boost controler has 6 settings you can save and i can hook up a button to quickly cycle through these, i guess my best bet would be to set up one setting that is minimal boost to get off the line then the next is more boost for second gear and more again for top of second/third (or with the right tyres just have full boost on the second setting).

This how ever does not eliminate the main part that i want to get rid of, the bit that damages the engine and causes boost, i could go a fuel cut but that runs the risk of leaning out, its looking like if i want to go in this direction im just going to have to risk it and just try to time it so im only on the limiter for minimal amount of time.

So what understand through here and other research is that a 2 step or any other after market rev limiter have the same effect as anti lag IE: creates boost when stationary by retarding the ignition to a point where the combustion pretty much happens in the manifold which is what spools the turbo.

no its not anti lag, its exactly the same as the normal rev limiter (ignition cut on pro) just set to whatever rpm you want, it then uses the normal limiter as soon as you hit 1km/h

as i said the pfc pro launch control does not retard timing like anti lag, its a normal rev limiter that only engages at 0km/h. it'll run whatever timing is in the ignition map at that point

Ok so let me clarify, when I said after market I meant stand alone, ones that are not built into an ecu as I'm sure the likes of motec have the same as the "factory" one I meant.

So just to quickly summarise for every one into one post so it isn't confusing; since the information is in multiple points.

LAUNCH CONTROL: What modern cars have from factory (Think R35 GTR, Ferrari etc). When the car is stationary and launch control is enabled, the car will be limited to a set amount of RPM (example 3000RPM) for launching (through the use of fuel cut mainly) even though the accelerator pedal is flat to the floor. Not damaging and simply allows you to get off the line as quickly as possible.

ANTI LAG: What rally cars use. True antilag is setup with a AAC valve that can flow a lot of air. When the throttle is shut, the AAC valve opens to let enough air in, retards timing and dumps fuel, therefore the engine keeps making boost even though the throttle is shut. Makes bang bang noises.

2 STEP LIMITER: What drag cars use with big laggy turbos. Sometimes also called anti lag, but is is not TRUE anti lag. Retards timing and dumps fuel to make boost (nearly same as above) however only engaged from a launch. Once vehicle is moving it disengages.

So hopefully that sums it up.

Most modern day ECU's (Vipec/Link/Haltech/Motec etc) can do all three.

Thank you Phil, now that it has been clarified once again I will ask the question, is there a standalone launch control?

Edited by W0rp3D

Thank you Phil, now that it has been clarified once again I will ask the question, is there a standalone launch control?

:P

To answer your question there isn't any I can think of. All the ones I can think of fall into the other "damaging" categories.