SAU Community

Cats.....do They Make A Difference?

All cats are going to cause a restriction, it's just how much. OK, so I am the only one with some data. I'm giving it a go. My cat has been on for 80,000km and is ceramic so I might as well replace it now.

Another bonus is it will make the exhaust sound a bit deeper and louder, and mine is fairly quiet now.

Hopefully I can get a bolt-on from Sureflo.

I swapped my stock cat for a hiflow LOBOKKA (ebay) metal cat with 100cpsi, difference was barely noticeable except in mid-top but even so its bugger all.. Already had a full 3" system from turbo (but dump is stock :( ), 12psi boost, FMIC, Nistune ecu, Walbro fuel pump etc.. The cat made stuff all difference in my ride, maybe my exhaust system wasnt bad to begin with..

stock dump and stock turbo?, I wouldn't expect you'd notice too much with a 3 or 4% increase anyway. It's worth about 1psi in power if you are running 1bar.

Edited by simpletool

I usually say that too but f**k is it lined with gold or something? That's a bit excessive for a cat!

Agreed.

Ron P further up the Mtns had a METALCat on his R34 GT-R and destroyed it within 15 months thru running rich > no warranty

Its definitely very illegal to have it straight through- does anyone know the penalty involved? Rumor is its a pretty damn nasty fine.

My cat is just an xforce 3' high flow job, heard they arent the best but my 33gtst is pretty stock- aiming for 200rwkw so it should cover that.

lol good thing about being in tassy. ive had my car registered for 2 years with an open 3.5 " side pipe from turbo.

been pulled over by the cops plently of times. they dont know what a cat convertor is/does so they dont look for it.

my exhaust exits after the last door so they dont care its a side pipe.

they fail to realise its on the passenger side ( illegal as it points towards footpath)

they have no tools or ways to measure dB levels.

they usually tell me to go home and put a number plate on it or to just take it home its too loud.

the orange wheels and stickers are a pretty good give away it should be at the track. but on the other hand i dont drive it in the cbd because i know the noise would just be unnessarcery. i dont hoon about in it. and im polite and helpful to police and explain im on the way to a worshop or to load car onto trailer... we have it pretty good down here as long as your not a tool

sorry about the rant lol... and if Mr tassy policemans aare reading this... :thanks::cheers:

sell the unused cat you have, find a 3 inch inlet/outlet used or f**ked cat.... bash the guts of it out and run it like that.

if the cops where you live are not likely to even look for a cat then put a decat pipe in perhaps

lol good thing about being in tassy. ive had my car registered for 2 years with an open 3.5 " side pipe from turbo.

been pulled over by the cops plently of times. they dont know what a cat convertor is/does so they dont look for it.

my exhaust exits after the last door so they dont care its a side pipe.

they fail to realise its on the passenger side ( illegal as it points towards footpath)

they have no tools or ways to measure dB levels.

they usually tell me to go home and put a number plate on it or to just take it home its too loud.

the orange wheels and stickers are a pretty good give away it should be at the track. but on the other hand i dont drive it in the cbd because i know the noise would just be unnessarcery. i dont hoon about in it. and im polite and helpful to police and explain im on the way to a worshop or to load car onto trailer... we have it pretty good down here as long as your not a tool

sorry about the rant lol... and if Mr tassy policemans aare reading this... :thanks::cheers:

sell the unused cat you have, find a 3 inch inlet/outlet used or f**ked cat.... bash the guts of it out and run it like that.

if the cops where you live are not likely to even look for a cat then put a decat pipe in perhaps

Haha, thats a killer set up to run on the street, That sort of set up would land you a defect very quick smart where i live (sux for me!)

I second what you said about the cops though, i have only had good experiences with them. If you dont act like a smart ass and be as honest as necessary they seem to treat you with respect- I know over the years they have let me off for tons of things that i should have been fined/lost license for.

yeah the jap cats are super expensive but they do work very well. seen mega power through various jap cats. sard ones seem to work very well in particular.

Agreed.

Ron P further up the Mtns had a METALCat on his R34 GT-R and destroyed it within 15 months thru running rich > no warranty

Interesting, I didn't know you could poison a cat from simply running a rich mixture. Keep in mind any decent cat manufacturer will know their cats will be used in a rich environment.

I thought cats were killed from phosphorous, lead, manganese, silicone, etc. You'll only introduce these things into the exhaust stream if your engine isn't healthy or are using certain additives or leaded fuel. I don't know about E85 though.

200cell is the most high flowing "legal" cat you can really go.

if you want to start going illegal go 100cell.

but in all honesty, most people wont make enough power for a 200cell cat to ever become a restriction!

I usually say that too but f**k is it lined with gold or something? That's a bit excessive for a cat!

Almost - Platinum and other rare materials. The value of platinum is so high that there are stories of people stealing cats from cars overnight etc, for the rare metals inside to sell. So almost lined with gold yeah. :D

Interesting, I didn't know you could poison a cat from simply running a rich mixture. Keep in mind any decent cat manufacturer will know their cats will be used in a rich environment.

I thought cats were killed from phosphorous, lead, manganese, silicone, etc. You'll only introduce these things into the exhaust stream if your engine isn't healthy or are using certain additives or leaded fuel. I don't know about E85 though.

Almost - Platinum and other rare materials. The value of platinum is so high that there are stories of people stealing cats from cars overnight etc, for the rare metals inside to sell. So almost lined with gold yeah. :D

171249d1305080314-wow-4-0-horde-bdf-join-foh-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

think my cat has been 'poisoned', cars been running rich for a while and constantly does small backfires when changing gears and slowing down under engine braking and and is not as responsive as it should be :unsure: , gunna put one of those ceramic catco cats in as not running or ever going to run big power.