The Wasteland 2011 Edition

Nightcrawler

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^ If you Paypal'd your membership tonight you would be an SAU:SA Member and have access to the Members only forums by tomorrow. That means you could attend our Xmas dinner, have access to our exclusive calendar at a special members price, and I am sure since you are a new member we could even chuck you a free hat, lanyard and sticker at the dinner if you are lucky!

funny how you have a private website but use failbook as a main conduit to communicate, dont want to join failbook to be in the club ? CBF with it

I contemplated rejoining but do I get hit with admin fees , or one off fees again ?

Yeah, not sure I understand the facebook thing.

Not everyone has facebook, and if there is member announcements, etc I'd rather see them communicated in a better way than that.

Unfortunately we have had complaints from members who find it too hard to track event threads so we have tried to make it as easy as possibly for all people to be notified about updates

Sorry Troy a lapsed member has to pay administration fees again, but fee free to email sausa with a submission and each case would be reviewed on a case by case basis

We actually have SIGNIFICANTLY more people on our facebook page than check the members forums. Problem is we have a core group of about 30 people who check the forums and are very active in the club - the remaining people either don't check the forums regularly and/or don't even remember their SAU usernames. We have probably 30 people in this category who don't come to events as they were not forum users (joined the club at a marketing event or similar), and really have no idea how to connect with the club.

I can't believe we are being knocked for trying to connect with our members better. Frustrating.

The rest of the world LOVES FB - I am not sure why the resistance to it - as it is a brilliant media in which to share and connect with others. Your profile is only as public as you CHOOSE it to be - there is lots of misinformation around though unfortunately.

Either way, this week I will also be starting a member email out to try to connect further with our members.

cmon guys, you dont think we are that narrow minded as to just use fb for all club communications? of course all communications will still go through the members section, but facebook is a much easier platform to share images and video to others interested in the club. yes the members section will continue to be updated.

I'm not sure if some of those comments are directed at me or Troy.

Either way, I'm not knocking anybody. The more different methods to communicate to members the better - my concern here is that facebook users may receive different information, etc than those on the member forums or on the SAU:SA website.

As long as the messages, announcements and information is consistent, I'm not concerned at all.

Now a small facebook rant because apparently it's 'bad' for me to show resistance against the collective:

I recognise that many people find facebook a convenient method for communication and keeping track of people. Whilst you can protect your profile from others - that's not where my concern lay. My concern lay with the company Facebook itself. I'm not a user of facebook, and never will be. Consider for a moment that you're getting a supposedly 'free' service from facebook to connect with people. How do you think they pay for their incredibly large server, and networking infrastructure? Can't see the product they're selling? Hint: It's the users, their connections and their information.

Every piece of information you store on facebook is recorded and used by facebook - from photos to communication with other facebook users. Even if you delete data, it's just marked deleted in the databases, not removed. The information on your account is shared with every application you use, too - something many users do not realise. Facebook is more than happy to share your information with third-parties.

Facebook has had a poor history of business practices, privacy and security. Mark Zuckerberg himself has a history of unethical behavior. I'm sure some of you would know about them tracking you visiting other websites, despite having logged out of facebook. I do not feel I can trust facebook, and I'm not comfortable using their service. I do not feel the need to share my life and interactions with a company that will subsequently sell that information on. I do not lose anything in my life from not using their services. I've lived the majority of my life without facebook - nothings changed for me. Please do not confuse me for a technical luddite either - I've been on the internet since 1994 and I work in the IT industry.

Feel free to do some research on your own, but I'll include some links:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2010-05-03/tech/29974530_1_zuckerberg-open-graph-facebook-s-ceo

http://rield.com/faq/why-is-facebook-bad

http://sickfacebook.com/top-10-reason-everyone-should-destroy-their-facebook-account/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063709/Facebook-watches-800million-users-AFTER-sign-off.html

SAUSA has had a facebook group for a long time now, no issues so far have arisen regarding the communication of information. the goal is to use the page as an ADDITIONAL means of information. However, you may find that event pictures and videos will be mainly shared through facebook, only because it is much easier than saving, hosting and linking pics to sau. For any event, links will be given on the facebook page to the appropriate thread in the members section. lists and interest for events will continue to be posted in the members section only, this wont happen via facebook.