SAU Community

18 Months Service

Just a question regarding 18months service, on the log book it says to replace transmission and diff oil at 30,000km, does it mean if the car is under 30,000km there is no need for replacement? My car has only done 5000k.

Cheers

Just a question regarding 18months service, on the log book it says to replace transmission and diff oil at 30,000km, does it mean if the car is under 30,000km there is no need for replacement? My car has only done 5000k.

Cheers

Nope its 18 months or 30,000 whichever comes first so Nissan will change it no matter what. If you do kms they would have inspected your fluid at 20K and found it to be OK otherwise they would have changed it then meaning the next inspection would be at 40K and mandatory change at 50K if it checks out OK at 40K. I wouldn't be too fussed either way because a couple years ago the trans fluid change interval for JDM delivered cars went up to 60K. Can't imagine there would be any reason why ours can't be the same.

Edited by fungoolie

Nope its 18 months or 30,000 whichever comes first so Nissan will change it no matter what. If you do kms they would have inspected your fluid at 20K and found it to be OK otherwise they would have changed it then meaning the next inspection would be at 40K and mandatory change at 50K if it checks out OK at 40K. I wouldn't be too fussed either way because a couple years ago the trans fluid change interval for JDM delivered cars went up to 60K. Can't imagine there would be any reason why ours can't be the same.

Thanks fungoolie. Does it mean the aging of the fluids should not cause damage to the car? I just don't like changing things unnecessarily.

Thanks

Thanks fungoolie. Does it mean the aging of the fluids should not cause damage to the car? I just don't like changing things unnecessarily.

Thanks

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. But short of fluids sitting around for years I can't imagine that trans fluid in your GR6 is going to deteriorate measurably in the time period that we are talking. Engine oils might be a different matter especially if the trips have all been short and the motor not warmed up properly to evaporate off the water and acids. If mine had only done 5000 kms and it was 18 months old and had never been very hot as in seen a racetrack the only reason I'd be changing it out is to maintain my warranty and service record.

Edited by fungoolie

When I put mine in for a 5K service they said there was no point until the next service. It's really expensive stuff too at around $1200.

There is no 5K service. It must have been an xx months one? At least they aren't too pedantic on this from the looks of it... I wouldn't know. I do 25000 kms a year...:thumbsup:

Oh and there are alternatives to the Nissan Fluids. Have a look at Willall fluids if you're happy to try something different. Some NHPCs will use them with their blessing apparently.

Edited by fungoolie

Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. But short of fluids sitting around for years I can't imagine that trans fluid in your GR6 is going to deteriorate measurably in the time period that we are talking. Engine oils might be a different matter especially if the trips have all been short and the motor not warmed up properly to evaporate off the water and acids. If mine had only done 5000 kms and it was 18 months old and had never been very hot as in seen a racetrack the only reason I'd be changing it out is to maintain my warranty and service record.

It isn't a matter of the oil deteriorating, more of a matter of contamination.

Not too sure about DSG or auto boxes but I know when change the gear oil in both my Subaru and Skyline there is ALWAYS a fine metallic sludge in there that I presume (and hope :laugh:) is my synchro gears, slowly sacrificing themselves so that I may change gears with some degree of smoothness. The longer periods without an oil change, the more of this sludge ends up in the gearbox, the more chance of the sludge getting caught where it shouldn't be and potentially causing damage.