SAU Community

Which Would Be The Best Car Value For My 12,000

The other reason Iam doing this research is because these cars Iam looking at got around 150k kms , meaning they have had almost half their life span already, so Iam trying to avoid ridiculous mantaince and fixing costs,but at the same time Iam looking for something stylish

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah planing on having a baby soon so looking into something bit more practical but still look good and thats reliable. Practical worry free motoring I Guess.

At 150,000km, I'd probably let go of the BMW idea Dan unless it's checked over by a technician as mentioned above. Water pumps and side tanks go by then.

My wife is lucky to have a 2003 530i with only 60,000km

It also appears you want something in white lol

As Ian "iplen" said, consider a Mazda 6 or the Honda Euro. Did you know that the Euro will tolerate E95?

Both are better than the boring Camry.

Both have better build quality than the Subie. I see complaints about build quality on the OzFoz forum.

Both have good resale value when it becomes time to sell.

And if you are leaning towards the Honda, check out Hannys Performance at 3/28 Victoria St Smithfield 9725.5115

Just drop in and talk to Robbie or Peter. Really friendly. They might remember that old dude yrs ago with the midnight purple R33 GT-R + Preludes

They allow you to wait whilst servicing is going on.

They allow you to stand under the car whilst hoisted.

They use genuine Honda parts

They charge a very low labour cost/hr

They only accept cash

If you are looking at something practical the Subie is the only one that you can buy in a wagon and not look/feel like a twat...

Oh yeah forgot mazda 6 their great cars!

What do you think of the mitsu 380?

Their pretty cheap I'm quite sure ..

Drove one when I was in the states it felt a bit light/flimsy .. but they look good and all imo

Not too sure if you're into it but its another option i guess

A bit off topic, but i have owned 3 commodores on lpg, a pathfinder on lpg and also a ba falcon we got converted to lpg by ford. Out of the 3 commodores only one has had very minor issues with the system, the pathfinder never had an issue but the falcon was nothing but a pain in the arse from the moment we took it to ford for the conversion. It was cutting out/stalling etc while my mrs was going around roundabouts with my baby girl in the back.. f**k that. It kept going back for months, luckily dad let us use his commodore so it wasnt endangering my little one. So in short, i think if you want a lpg car, that yes you should be prepared for the ocassional hiccup, and in my experience if you get a good one, hold on to it! Also the systems on the commodores CAN make them quite sluggish. I definitely dont think their should be the stigma attached to the lpg, but its something you need to be wary of, and if you arent keen, dont go there imo.

If you are looking at something practical the Subie is the only one that you can buy in a wagon and not look/feel like a twat...

Nope never will never buy a wagon mate regardless how prActical it can be, and hate the bigish mitsubishis they ugly to honest, Anways thanks for the suggestions guys really apreciate

Yeah kinda looks like the BMW dream is dying , leaning more on the Honda euro , doing extra reasearch on that and not many horror stories at this stage looks like a sensible choice, thank you guys really apreciate your input. Keep the ideas rolling guys

I've driven about 4 different euro's and I must say they are a great car! Never driven the auto though, but there 6 speed manual is probably one of the best. The car all in all is just very smooth and comfortable. I've also owned a e46 330i auto, very nice car! Once again cant comment on the 320 but if its chassis is the same as the 330 then in terms of handling and comfort then yes the bmw is just awesome! Expensive when things break as expected. If I had to choose out of the two then euro in manual form but if it's an auto your after then easily the bmw.

if you want an auto get the v6 but I agree hondas rock, they go like stink when the foots down,the build quailty is up there or surpasses any euro ,We have160,000 kms on ours and the only problem its ever had was a left hand door lock actuator, it cost me 40$ from USA..honda australia wanted 300$ fitted :( honda servicing is a jib though so do it yourself if you can

If the Euro is a bit squishy in the back you can get the bigger non euro Accord, its just as good and cheaper as well cause it doesnt have a euro badge and is built in taiwan ( euro is built in japan) i think the euro handles a little better as well but we have the V6.

the camry is easily the cheapest to service and doesnt require timing belt changes every 100k, its a decent car but its no honda, I'd get an aurion if you can.

Suby looks nice and drives nice, reliability is a bit hit n miss..

Accord and camry are americas favourite car they're as common as falcons and commodore are here. So just source all parts over there they are really really cheap. They dont have As many euros (sold as acura) only the bigger v6 style acord but the parts are mostly interchangable .

All that said though every car you listed is still around 20k :unsure:

All that said though every car you listed is still around 20k :unsure:

I was wondering about that ... I just thought in eastern states cars were a whole bunch cheaper lol

Also, have you considered going Korean?

Not too sure what everyones opinion are on these but they arent bad imo .. for a reliable daily car

Got a 06 Accent as the familys small car and nothing ever seems to go wrong with it and services are cheap too

Elantra perhaps?

Holy damn the new one looks nice!

i45 but dont think you can get one <12,000

Kia ...

The new ceratos are nice, not too sure how much they go for these days

And as with i45 the new optima is pretty gorgeous ... but probably above budget

I'd go for the maxima

VQ engine that will just keep going and going (my old A32 Maxima has 330,000km on it and will not die - my father now potters around in it)

They aren't a very good looking car, but they are well built, comfy, and very practical (roomy!)

Old man works at a Nissan dealer and they don't seem to have any problems with the newer Maxima's

Yeah planing on having a baby soon so looking into something bit more practical but still look good and thats reliable. Practical worry free motoring I Guess.

This has Camry written all over it.

This has Camry written all over it.

@ Terry......whats this you say about hondas an e95?

When I had a 5th Gen Prelude daily, I couldn't obtain info on whether that car was able to take E95 on a regular basis > Terry calls Honda and leaves a message.

Technical advisor calls me back to say that the Prelude is able to accept E95 on a regular basis and even both the Accords at the time were able to do the same. Year was 2006

does it require any tuning or will it handle it straight up.. Mine is 7th gen accord, 04 same as 06 model

did you try it?

i have tried searching the net and found nothing but nay sayers and muppets. One American lady got excited by the 2:77$ price tag (for ethanol :woot:) then went as far as to pay 600$ to get Honda to flush their tank/system after accidently filling it with e85 :laugh:

I used the E85 on the Prelude VTiR for many months with no pinging. The only downside was the car could go through a bit more fuel under load; but virtually no difference in consumption via hwy.