SAU Community

Need My Guards Rolled!

tobs_r32

Hey all!!

Put some 18x10's on my R32 today and they are scrubbing quite violently haha, looking for someone to roll the inner lip flat, and maybe a slight pull also.. The guards are perfectly standard, and don't appear to have any bog or rust!!

After a good price but someone that wont destroy the paint work! Any recommendations and prices would be sweet!

Cheers, Tobbie

If your r32 has standard paint, with a roll and stretch it will crack... no matter what you do. You'll be doing well to get 18x10's not to scrub on stock guard (with a roll push) r32 without stretching tyres etc.

Go see Marty at mobile mechanics, he has a guard roller-

Cheers

Justin

If your r32 has standard paint, with a roll and stretch it will crack... no matter what you do. You'll be doing well to get 18x10's not to scrub on stock guard (with a roll push) r32 without stretching tyres etc.

Go see Marty at mobile mechanics, he has a guard roller-

Cheers

Justin

That depends purely on the offset, ive got 18x9.5 +35 Vertec's under my 32 with 265s and all i did was roll the lip flat (resulting in cracked paint) and mine never scrub =) Not sure on who to roll the gaurds though as i always do mine the dodgy way and crack the paint, usually because i need it done in a hurry worship.gif

Edited by DanielH

That depends purely on the offset, ive got 18x9.5 +35 Vertec's under my 32 with 265s and all i did was roll the lip flat (resulting in cracked paint) and mine never scrub =) Not sure on who to roll the gaurds though as i always do mine the dodgy way and crack the paint, usually because i need it done in a hurry worship.gif

On the fron too?

Hey buddy, it was re-sprayed in 2004 i think, but one side was only done 12 months ago, hoping it doesn't crack, I think i have someone to do it now who is an actual bodywork's so he can re-spray if it cracks through!! Its running 18x10 +22 on the rear, with a 235/40 tyre stretched onto it.. fitment is sweet just eating the very outside wall of the tyre when going over small bumps :s it would be fine with a little bit of camber, but that inner lip is still standard so i doubt it would scrub half as much if it was rolled flat, and then i'm going to have it flared a bit so as i can go a little lower also :P I'll try and post up some pics when i'm done!!

na 8.5 +15 on the front with 235s

yeah thought so.

Most body works will hammer the lip over. Go see Marty, then if the paint cracks then take it to a bodyworks.

I did the guards on my stagea not long ago, as long as you heat the paint slowly and to the right temp, then you have a better chance of it not cracking with newer paint.

The paint on my 32 gts-t cracked, although Ben did them.

You wont be able to push the guards correctly with a guard roller, you'll more than likely strip the threads on the roller. Try using a bottle jack and blocks to push the guard.

You wont be able to push the guards correctly with a guard roller, you'll more than likely strip the threads on the roller. Try using a bottle jack and blocks to push the guard.

What do you mean push the guards "correctly"?

You can flare most Nissans 50+mm with a guard roller. You don't need blocks or hammers or anything apart from a good quality roller.

To be honest newer paint is almost always more of a pain in the arse as it hasn't been applied as well as genuine Nissan paint or the paint quality itself isn't as good. Every car is different.

tobs I can roll your guards for $55/corner or $70/corner for a flare. Most bodyworks charge $200+ per corner and generally don't heat the paint so they can make more money out of repairing and respraying your quarter panel.

Ben

I agreed with Ben, I've rolled a few guards and I've never had a car with factory paint crack. If it's going to crack, it'll be on cars that have been re-painted. I have however never been game to try a flare :blush:

if you thimk it might crack run a razor blade round the lip only clear deep this will stop the paint cracking and chipping! the reason that resprayed cars crack easier is they use a fast curring hardener and it sets harder. Factory use a slow or normal hardener and blast bake.