SAU Community

Moving To Perth From Melbourne - Some Advice Needed!

DRVSLW

Hi All,

My name's Luke, currently driving a 1999 S14a around Melbourne, doing my best to avoid defects and cop trouble. Some of you may have heard of our new hoon laws which without going in to too much detail - effectively mean driving an import and doing anything wrong, whether intetional or not will land your car in an impound lot at the very least. It's quite a sad time we live in, luckily i'm moving to WA soon!

Although I've read some troubling things regarding modified rides in WA...

Couple of quick questions - I've spoken to WA Transport and transferring rego interstate will be no issue at all, already sorted WA license too and all is looking fine, its more or less how you guys receive and clear defects that I haven't been able to get any clear info on from WA Transport or online. Hoping some of you locals can assist :)

firstly, if defected is it just a matter of fixing the things listed and going to the pits to have these things checked over? OR do they check your entire car as well as the things needing fixing, IE: is it just as big a process as getting a Roadworthy?

secondly, If I get a defect for say, height, running wide wheels (currently running aggresive stance), bride seat and exhaust being too loud (is there any rules on exhaust volume like in VIC?) do I just need to change these things over and go get them ticked off? or do I need to prepare my entire car for a check over/full inspection?

Also, can any one explain the mod-plate/permit situation to me, it was unclear when explained on the phone by WA Transport and their website is rather misleading and is a pretty vague too.

thanks guys, any help would be great!

Hopefully meet some of you once I'm over in a few months. Keen to get involved in the local drift scene and attend some track days and meets, going to be mad lonely haha.

cheers.

welcome, another vic (or shitorian as i am know to some work mates) here.

I have never delt witht he pits personally but its similar to getting a road worthy done. Fix the things they put down and clean anything else up. if you get done for the height and exhaust but think they may pick on something else fix it too, unlike vic if you fail the inspection you have to pay again so best to get everything you can think of done.

Hope that is understandable.

Also for drift most people are on driftwa if you have not already found that site.

Firstly, congratulations on moving to the best state in Australia :thumbsup:

I've had 7 yellow stickers over my many years of driving imports, and to be honest have't ever really found it too difficult to get passed, it's just a bit of time and effort to effectively restore everything to a manner which the pits will accept. Each Pit Inspector is different, so some will let things slide pretty easy, whereas others will make life tough.

I personally don't think you'll have many worries, and the local WA scene will help out with lending you anything you may require to pass the pits (i.e. stock rims or suspension etc)

Yep welcome to WA I say.

About the mod plate \ permits...

Here is the relevant section on Transport website: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20500.asp

Essentially most things will "require approval" to be modified if you want to be squeaky clean.

This involves filling out one of these http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_F_VS_ModificationLightVehicles.pdf

waiting about 4-8 weeks, then probably requiring engineering approval - contracting a consulting engineer to write a report which gets submitted to WA transport then if approved finally pit inspection to gain permits to carry in your car.

Some things...like coilovers, turbo conversions etc you will get away with (most times) on the road and not many people bother to get them engineered.

For example, I took a NA car over the pits with a turbo conversion that was well done and they passed the car without engineering.

But technically, if I get pulled over and the cop is having a bad day, I can get done for no permits for the turbo.

Usually, engineering is used for engine swaps (ie rb20 to 25/26) or cages etc.

I think thats a rough overview covering most stuff for you.

Anyone else feel free to correct me if something isnt right

Thanks for all the help so far guys, really appreciate it. Will have to come to a meet once I'm over and say hello!

It's difficult moving into a new road environment, just want to be worded up on whats what so I know what I'm getting myself into haha.

As bad as it may sound for you all, from what I understand from reading your replies is that WA is still heaps more lenient than VIC. Here, its now near impossible to get a roadworthy with any aftermarket bits in and in most cases, when defected thats what it takes to pass. I have no worries about heading to the pits with my car in "standard" form. IE no bride/raised/wheels off/exhaust off.

In terms of permits - is it really nessecary to go through the hassle of getting permits if you can get defected even if you have them? I suspect with my ride height and fitment I'll attractive unwanted cop attention, but if I'm going to get reeemed no lube, permits or not, i might as well save myself the hassle/money of forking out for permits. Would only need to get permits for coilovers/seat/ecu I think according to what are "permit requiring mods". Probably not worth it.

Can you get done for aggressive wheel fitment? any coppers hate on "wheels protruding outside the guards?" I hear that far too often in VIC :(

Yep welcome to WA I say.

About the mod plate \ permits...

Here is the relevant section on Transport website: http://www.transport...nsing/20500.asp

Essentially most things will "require approval" to be modified if you want to be squeaky clean.

This involves filling out one of these http://www.transport...ghtVehicles.pdf

waiting about 4-8 weeks, then probably requiring engineering approval - contracting a consulting engineer to write a report which gets submitted to WA transport then if approved finally pit inspection to gain permits to carry in your car.

Some things...like coilovers, turbo conversions etc you will get away with (most times) on the road and not many people bother to get them engineered.

For example, I took a NA car over the pits with a turbo conversion that was well done and they passed the car without engineering.

But technically, if I get pulled over and the cop is having a bad day, I can get done for no permits for the turbo.

Usually, engineering is used for engine swaps (ie rb20 to 25/26) or cages etc.

I think thats a rough overview covering most stuff for you.

Anyone else feel free to correct me if something isnt right

^^^ What he said, I think it all comes to pit inspector on final inspection,if you get d..khead it will be painful process.

I had all approvals and still failed.

Say good bye to a decent night life.. :P

hahaha everyone in WA seems to say this, but in all honesty man the nightlife in melbourne isn't that great. I DJ at a fair few clubs over in Perth and back home and the scene in WA is awesome, its getting bigger and bigger and you'd be suprised how well it compares to the east coast. Common misconception about Melbourne haha, too many clubs competing for your attention so there may be more choice but most places are empty, whereas Perth; less choice, but more packed clubs. Plus you've got a good bass scene over there, shits on Melbournes indie kids!

Personally for coilovers, seat and ecu I wouldn't bother getting permits. The process is lengthy and you could still get yellowed.

On the other side, permits show you are doing the right thing and consequently you might get let off for slightly too low or too loud etc if pulled over, provided you weren't driving stupid.

Wheels outside the guards you will probably get done pretty quick. It's extremely easy to spot when they follow you and I have been done a couple times for it.

However I have been let off when its only 5mm or so.

Height wise..if you make sure its 120mm unladen off the ground all round, this will usually save you from further scrutiny

Personally for coilovers, seat and ecu I wouldn't bother getting permits. The process is lengthy and you could still get yellowed.

On the other side, permits show you are doing the right thing and consequently you might get let off for slightly too low or too loud etc if pulled over, provided you weren't driving stupid.

Wheels outside the guards you will probably get done pretty quick. It's extremely easy to spot when they follow you and I have been done a couple times for it.

However I have been let off when its only 5mm or so.

Height wise..if you make sure its 120mm unladen off the ground all round, this will usually save you from further scrutiny

yeah cool cool, thought that would be the case. for the beginning of my relocation chances are I'll just drive as is no permits until I get the time or energy to get it sorted. Might be a good idea as like you said it shows your trying to do the right thing.

thanks for all the info guys, has helped me dramatically. I know ride height will be an issue no matter what or where I go haha, so I can cop that. Winding coils all the way down before track next weekend, removing collar for moar lows too.

As bad as it may sound for you all, from what I understand from reading your replies is that WA is still heaps more lenient than VIC.

From my experience the Cops I encoutered are pretty leninet & don't give out yellows as much as their Vic counter parts do...

Once I got pulled over for speeding (128 in 110 zone), the cop came around, saw all my gauges mounted on the dash (with double sided tape :whistling:), didn't say anything. Then noticed my horn wasn't working (which is 100% defectable) but he decided to just leave it & give me the speeding fine only & said to get it fixed ASAP as he can give me a yellow for it.

Also don't you guys over there have special cop units that do nothing but pull imports over & defect them? I think its called operation Taipan or something?

Yeah mate we have TMU - Traffic Management Unit and they have offshoot operation units who target street racing/modified cars. In the end, they tend to just sit at known drift spots/areas where car meets are held, rock up and defect people. TMU are known to check the net for car meet locations then turn up and threaten defects if people don't leave and go home. It's pretty f**ked here dude, normal cops aren't too bad, but there are TMU everywhere now and they won't let you get away with anything. :rolleyes: