SAU Community

Formatting External Hdd For Ps3

dezz

Formatted my 1TB external as FAT32 through DOS, but after hours of it formatting, I woke up to the message 'the volume is too big for FAT32'

Anyone done it? What did you use?

I'm looking for a full version of swissknife as apparently that's what I need...

I dont really download high def stuff so most movies are 700mb for me, and the rest of my files are tv shows. Don't have the Internet/a network at my new place yet either but might do that when I do. I was using vuze I think it's called at my old place to stream.

Wish the sorting system was better on the PS3's. I've got all my top gear on there. Wish you could make folders to put stuff in but oh well

You can...All my stuff is in folders exactly as it was on my hard drive when it was NTFS

You just have to make these 3 folders

'MUSIC', 'PICTURE' & 'VIDEO'

They need to be in capital letters. From there, put all of your video files in the Video folder (they can be in their respective sub folders, which don't need to be in capital letters...music in music...you get the idea

So basically

VIDEO

-Curb Your Enthusiasm

----Season 1

-Seinfeld

----Season 1

They'll then be sorted in alphabetical order when you browse them on the PS3, and episodes will be in order if all of your files are named properly

This is transferring from an external HDD onto the PS3, making a folder on the ext drive 'VIDEO' then selecting it in your PS3 and copying it across?

Think thats what you meant lol..... Will have to do that anyway, will be lots better :)

This is transferring from an external HDD onto the PS3, making a folder on the ext drive 'VIDEO' then selecting it in your PS3 and copying it across?

Think thats what you meant lol..... Will have to do that anyway, will be lots better :)

Nah my external HDD is hooked up to the PS3, and all the data is on there, not on the PS3 itself.

Not sure if you can add folders to the PS3 HDD, but I'd assume it's possible if you pull it out and hook it up to a computer to do it...

You can't make sub folders on the ps3 and you also can't pull it out and hook it up to the PC and create folders either unfortunately. The easiest way is to just buy an external hdd or have a network setup to stream instead of having them copied on the ps3.

Edited by Dani Boi

You can't make sub folders on the ps3 and you also can't pull it out and hook it up to the PC and create folders either unfortunately. The easiest way is to just buy an external hdd or have a network setup to stream instead of having them copied on the ps3.

Yeah that's all I've been doing. Have all my topgear on the PS3 itself but there in order so no biggy

As for the folders on ext HDD. I don't worry about it, just hit triangle and display all and it comes up with all the folders that are on there anyway

ps3 i found is also a bit picky with regards to what video formats it'll read and what it wont if your playing direct from external (e.g it wont play .mkv files). my guess is sony being a major player in the home entertainment publishing/producing sector they dont wana make it easy for people to play pirated gear.

ive tried a few media servers and i've found ps3mediaserver by far the best one, less of a cpu hog on the computer and generally easier to use from the ps3 end. transcoding is awesome, any format the ps3 wont read, ps3mediaserver will transcode it on the fly in to a format that works. with tversity and Vuze i had troubles with transcoding they were quite unreliable. ps3mediaserver by far the best solution for watching stuff on ps3 IMO.

ps3mediaserver

I just bought a western digital mybook white light edition. Works faultlessly with the PS3. I didnt have to do any thing other than plug it in as per the instruction booklet. Being a total computer retard this was a very nice feature for me! Seems to encounter less streaming issues than streaming from the Laptop used to as well

So just out of curiosity what program did you end up using anyway? :P

Lol sorry, thought I mentioned it..

it was called fat32format (ironic..) Can't remember where I got it from, but its only a 23kb zip file...

• 4 weeks later...