SAU Community

Cabinet Maker Or Diy ?

West

Hi guys

I'm renovating my kitchen and i need new cabinet.

Should i buy either Flat Pack, DIY stuffs from major hardware stores or get a Cabinet Maker to do the job? I'm not after a super flashy cabinet, just decent ones are fine. Have any of you done this DIY thing before? Any SAU'er is a Cabinet Maker?

Thank you

Hey mate I'm a cabinet maker. It depends how much your willing to spend on a cabinet maker to put it all together.? It won't cost you all that much just for an install but if you trust yourself and if your pretty handy then just DIY it.

Hey mate I'm a cabinet maker. It depends how much your willing to spend on a cabinet maker to put it all together.? It won't cost you all that much just for an install but if you trust yourself and if your pretty handy then just DIY it.

Awesome, pm you.

I renovated my entire place a few years ago, and the kitchen was the only job I didn't do myself..

We checked out flatpacks, bunnings, armstrongs, online, a heap of different DIY projects, and it was going to cost approximately $5K for the kitchen I wanted. Cheapest, possibly 4.5

However, we used a local kitchen company from the local paper and they came out to do a quote.. The guy was so helpful he even assisted in changing and improving my design.

The total cost, fully installed in ONE morning, was $6000 including a sink and tap and my pre-purchased appliances fitted as well.

Now in my opinion, that $1000 I spent to get everything done, saved me days of messing around and attempting to build my first ever flatpack kitchen that I had no idea where to start! Sure, they're supposed to be easy, but if my walls didn't line up to the right size how many hours would it have taken to get it right, find the flatpack to suit perfectly or trim the benchtops to fit, and how many hours reading instructions and construction and "ohh that's how it goes..lets go again" etc.

The company built it offsite and delivered it ready to install, and had it done in a few short hours. One benchtop was damaged (chipped corner) so they replaced it with a brand new one the next day. If I had of chipped it doing it myself, it would have stayed like that forever.

Before finalising your decision, get one or two kitchen places or cabinet makers out to make a quote, and then weigh up your options.

Cheers

Yeah if you DIY it measurements and level need to be perfect. I've fit kitchens and bathrooms for a few years now and something could be 2 degrees out of level and it'll throw the whole lot out!

I renovated my entire place a few years ago, and the kitchen was the only job I didn't do myself..

We checked out flatpacks, bunnings, armstrongs, online, a heap of different DIY projects, and it was going to cost approximately $5K for the kitchen I wanted. Cheapest, possibly 4.5

However, we used a local kitchen company from the local paper and they came out to do a quote.. The guy was so helpful he even assisted in changing and improving my design.

The total cost, fully installed in ONE morning, was $6000 including a sink and tap and my pre-purchased appliances fitted as well.

Now in my opinion, that $1000 I spent to get everything done, saved me days of messing around and attempting to build my first ever flatpack kitchen that I had no idea where to start! Sure, they're supposed to be easy, but if my walls didn't line up to the right size how many hours would it have taken to get it right, find the flatpack to suit perfectly or trim the benchtops to fit, and how many hours reading instructions and construction and "ohh that's how it goes..lets go again" etc.

The company built it offsite and delivered it ready to install, and had it done in a few short hours. One benchtop was damaged (chipped corner) so they replaced it with a brand new one the next day. If I had of chipped it doing it myself, it would have stayed like that forever.

Before finalising your decision, get one or two kitchen places or cabinet makers out to make a quote, and then weigh up your options.

Cheers

yeah I deliver alot of these flatpacks and unless you can get trade price on the flatpack which is much cheaper, you may as well pay the pro..deopends how much you want done I guess