SAU Community

Importing Gtr Over From Uk

UKGTR

Hi Guys,

I am currently based in the UK and thinking about purchasing a 2009 UK model GTR and looking to import it back to Australia as a personal import in 12-18months time. I do not intend to make a quick profit and hope to own the carfor a few years at least. Just wondering has anyone else done this and is it worth it financially?

I have looked at the prices of GTR's for sale in Australia on carpoint and other websites but how realistic are these asking prices are. The below one in NSW is a 2008 model with 8.4km on the clock has an asking price of 142k AUD. Is this price realistic ?

I realise when I come to resell that an imported car will be worth less than an Australian new one , but how much would this discount be?......25-30%

Would t be better to just buy an australian spec car when I arrive instead?

http://www.carpoint....seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294961487 4294963846&silo=1011

Sorry if this has been discussed before but any advice/help would be appreciated.

Edited by UKGTR

Hey Mate,

That car is overpriced typical 09 Aust delivered with under 30kms would go between 115-128k.

Jdm and import models wipe min 10-20k of whatever local car is going for at the moment.

Im not to sure about import costs and if it would be worth your while in that regard, but sure you will do the appropriate research . :)

I imagine compliance costs would would outrageous at the moment as you can still buy ADM GTRs.

My completely baseless guesstimate would be $10-20 thousand.

Factor in a few grand of shipping and another $5k+ in taxes and you need to save yourself say up to $40k on the UK GTR cost over a local car.

Then there's the long wait and stuffing around while the car goes through the process and then you lose another $20k upon resale as its not ADM.

I'm sure there are some people here who KNOW the costs better than I do, so they will be able to clarify and correct me if I'm a long way off.

Can you save ~$50k purchasing a car in the UK rather than Aus?

Short answer, buy locally delivered, otherwise save your personal import for a phantom drop head, bentley gt supersport, or a 458/lp700

guys there is no compliance needed on a personal import. it needs about $800 in paperwork done by an auto engineer and that's it. slap PI plate on and register it.

but no way on earth is anyone paying $140K for an 09 model. $120-$125 for that car is more likely. and JDM cars in the $100-$115 range depending on spec etc.

given you can literally important anything you want as a PI perhaps consider buying something that is not sold or commonly available in australia? enjoy it for the 18mths in the UK, bring it to aus, sell it and then buy the R35 GTR you want.

hmmm interesting, PI rules must have changed, or at least the people that know about it. cos I've asked the same question re some american cars (chevy, stang etc all LHD) and they said nope needs compliance.

Thanks all for your input.

Yes I was hoping to import it as a PI into Australia when I return.

The current cost of one here in the UK is about £35-£37K by the time i land in in Oz it will be about 75k in a years time.

I will look at other options and see what else is worth bringing home.

guys there is no compliance needed on a personal import. it needs about $800 in paperwork done by an auto engineer and that's it. slap PI plate on and register it.

but no way on earth is anyone paying $140K for an 09 model. $120-$125 for that car is more likely. and JDM cars in the $100-$115 range depending on spec etc.

given you can literally important anything you want as a PI perhaps consider buying something that is not sold or commonly available in australia? enjoy it for the 18mths in the UK, bring it to aus, sell it and then buy the R35 GTR you want.

This man speaketh the truth. Spend the equivalent money on a Porsche and you'd probably end up with a much better investment (if not a better car ;) )

No one has mentioned LCT when its here you will need to pay what Customs declare the value as so say 120,000 - LCT threshold of 57,000 = 63,000 x 33% = LCT Payable = $20790 + GST on purchase price of car+shipping etc

My understanding is that the LCT is only payable on the amount over the threshold, so its only 33% on the 6,000= $1980.

My understanding is that the LCT is only payable on the amount over the threshold, so its only 33% on the 6,000= $1980.

Yes + 10% GST and 5% customs duties on the full price.....

No matter how you look at it, it isn't worth importing one.

Bring over an LM002.

That is what will go up in value, even if you don't like them. I personally love them.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes + 10% GST and 5% customs duties on the full price.....

No matter how you look at it, it isn't worth importing one.

Bring over an LM002.

That is what will go up in value, even if you don't like them. I personally love them.

You can buy an R35 in the UK for £35k which is roughly $50k AUD. This is BELOW the LCT threshold and therefore not payable. You pay GST and customs on the price you PAID for the car less any depreciation not its market value in Aus....

So ACTUALLY it is definitely worth importing one. Buy the car for $50k AUD and then allowing $20k for import and all the other costs discussed thats still only $70k AUD and no matter what way you look at it that is CHEAP!

Dearest Beer Baron (Rich) Jedi master :)

I have a friend that lives in Hong Kong, and will be buying a 07 R35 20k on the clock for a killer deal....

He wants to know after he owns the car for 12 months, what would his costs be to personal import it and register it etc etc.... (is it cheaper to do it in certain states?? i.e. SA versus NSW)

the car will cost him 70k Aust currently.

what would the breakdown be i.e. GST, TAX, rough transport costs, rego, etc....

hope your good big guy!!!

You can buy an R35 in the UK for £35k which is roughly $50k AUD. This is BELOW the LCT threshold and therefore not payable. You pay GST and customs on the price you PAID for the car less any depreciation not its market value in Aus....

So ACTUALLY it is definitely worth importing one. Buy the car for $50k AUD and then allowing $20k for import and all the other costs discussed thats still only $70k AUD and no matter what way you look at it that is CHEAP!

From my understanding once you've owned something OS for more than 12 months which for a personal import has to be the case then they will value the car based on what it is worth in Australia, not what you paid for it less depreciation..You only pay taxes on purchase price less depreciation if the car is less than 12 months old but if you haven't owned it for more than 12 months you cant bring an R35 in. Kind of catch 22 really....

Edited by fungoolie

yes the 'dutiable value' will be the sticky point but you could probably successfully argue it as the price paid + freight.

let's assume they agree to his declared value of $70K + $3K in shipping costs.

$73K-$57K=$16K X .33 = $5.3K

he'll also pay 73K X 0.05 = $3.7

plus GST which is levied on the cumulative cost of declared value + freight + duty

so 73K + 3.7K = 76.7K X .10 = $7.67

so you now have:

$5,300 LCT

$3,700 duty

$6,670 GST

$3,000 freight costs

Then:

$200 for customs clearance

$500 in port charges (AQIS inspection, cleaning etc)

$50 for VIA

$200 towing from wharf

then:

$800-$1500 for the stuff needed for personal import plate.

blue slip (approx $400)

green slip (approx $500)

stamp duty (3% of declared value in NSW)

rego (approx $350)

and you're done. there is no 'compliance' done on personal imports so don't listen to anyone who tells you he needs to comply it. my advice would be call DoIT - Vehicle Imports, or even better Customs and discuss how they will determine the dutiable value as if they do deny his claim that it's $70K and base it at $120K then LCT component goes through the roof ($20K), as does GST and to a lesser extent import duty.