SAU Community

Tokyo Auto Salon 2012

NYL83R

where are you staying in Tokyo?

check out Toyota Mega Web at Odaiba and Nissan Showroom at Ginza and take a trip to the Nissan Headquarters in Yokohama

also some cool cars at the car museum place in Venus Fort shopping centre Also at Odaiba

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gee, damn, I fly out at 8pm on Friday, would probably be pushing the timeframe a little to make it to Tsukuba.

I'm going to visit the Tokyo Motor Show next week for sure though, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Pity I won't be able to make Nismo Festival this year. I love Dec/Jan - so many great car events on around Tokyo.

Mate its a easy 2hr drive from Tsukuba to Narita airport.

Hire a car at Narita airport have a day at the track head back to Narita around 3ish.

Check in, have a shower, grab a feed, catch ya plne...job done !!

Just found out I am in Tokyo during the Auto Salon. Seems I am lucky with these things, last year I was randomly there by chance during Nismo festival.

Planning to go. No need to pre-purchase tickets is there? Not entirely sure of our exact plans yet (in Tokyo 13th, 14th and 15th) so should make it at some stage.

Interesting to see what elrodeo666 was saying about food. Its a still a little concern. Any particular foods in particular to be cautious of?

this is my first time going to TAS, but I wished I had got a pre-purchased ticket when I went to the Toko Game Show... the line for pre paid was much shorter.... Its easy to buy the TAS tickets online and print them out :)

Food is ok in Tokyo, the supermarkets are not going to sell contaminated food.... strict regulations on that

Mate getting tickets at the gate is not a problem, no big line ups.

As for for strict regulations on food...you wanna bet !!

Japanese government has only just recently got off their sorry arse and started random testing of food across Tokyo and surrounding prefectures.

This has been from the pressure from info from independent testing thats has found contaminated food widespread through supermarkets. Not massively high but still unsafe.

On top of that its seems that weekly, rice and various produce are getting banned from various areas within and outside the f*kushima zone.

Then you have fisherman bringing fish to markets caught in the bad areas and saying its been caught in safe areas. Farmers are doing the same, if they dont they go broke !!

If your careful with what you eat and make sure you buy food thats produced in areas way outside the so called safe zone, drink bottled water , then its relatively safe.

Keep in mind that the J government is still trying to down play all this and shove it under the carpet and are more than happy to say everything is sweet until they get caught bullshitting.

Good links mate !!

Big one is the Japan today link and look when its dated. Nov 8th and the Government starts checking..a bit bloody late...

Heres the latest from today

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/tepco-reveals-new-contaminated-water-leak-at-f*kushima-plant

This link is a real eye opener : http://www.nippon-sekai.com/main/articles/f*kushima-daiichi-nuclear-power-plant-crisis/nhk-special-collaborating-to-create-a-radioactive-fallout-map/

I've been back here in Japan and Korea since 20th March and only back to Oz for 7 weeks total in that time.

Pretty much been buying Hokkaido only produce, imported bottled water and imported foods through Costco.

We pretty much new things were going to be bad but how bad was always a matter of ones own research.

For most Japanese , because the government has said its all ok they pretty much believe what they are told except the smart ones.

Your first link is a good one..just use common sense and drink Sapporo beer as brewed in Hokkaido ,the rest use Honshu water.

• 3 weeks later...

Heya NYL83R!!

You picked the Sat or Sun yet??

I'm heading to TAS on the Saturday as I fly out that evening.

I'll be catching a 'burret train' to Hiroshima to check the Mazda museum and the memorial down there in the week leading up to TAS, as well as hopeful trips to Toyota and Nissan (haven't organised just yet, still planning)

You keen to head out for a look-see to any of them??

I'm flying out this Thursday but if you wanna chat we can PM and go from there.

Anyone else keen to come out??

Mark :)

I'll sent ya a pm....

Don't forget to check out miya jima while at Hiroshima ;) watch out for the deer ;P

Still not locked in for sat or sun, depends what else is going on, but at this stage i think i'll go saturday

cheers

GOD12A - I would be keen on the Toyota trip (museum or factory?). When do you plan on going there? Sorry about the dodgy reply the website is playing up so I can't reply properly.

Heya *LOACH*!!

I haven't had a chance to plan Toyota yet. I'm interested in both/either.

I think I'll do Mazda / Hiroshima around the 10th or 11th for two days. Then I'll see where the Toyota and Nissan plants and museums are.

Mark :)

Thanks for the reply Mark :) This is the Toyota museum in Aichi which has a lot more stuff than Odaiba (Tokyo). http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/ Aichi is also where Toyota is headquatered and does most of its manufacturing in Japan. Nagoya (the main city in Aichi) is on the Shinkansen and is about 1 and half hours from Tokyo. You can also catch the Shinkansen to Hiroshima from there (or on the way back from Hiroshima you could stop there).

Do yourself a favour an go to Nagoya.

Hit the museum and then have a night in Nagga's and hit the bars and restaurants in the Sakae district.

Kicks arse over Tokyo any day.

One side of main street is all Japanese other is mix, of Brazillian, Filipino, Russian, Hispanic, Indonesian,Thai bars and food joints and more !!

Nagoya has big foreign mix as heaps of cheap labour for factories are sourced from foreign countries.

There's a maze of wicked seedy little bars and cheap eats.

Check out some of the half Brazillian half Japanese chicks , by far in my opinion the hottest mix of women in Japan...

Plenty of cheap business hotels within staggering distance.

Well worth a cecent night out.

Nagoya sounds fun, but I think my days hitting seedy bars and boozing up are over as I have a wife and 2 little girls :)

I will pop in for a looksy at the museum 1 day but prob not this trip ;P

less than 12 hours and I am on my way to Japan :D