SAU Community

Mallala Trackday Course - Oct 25

V35-2005

Hi guys,

It's that time of year when the guys from John Bowe Driving team up with me and Luke (Heslo) to put on a High Performance trackday course at Mallala.

This will be another joint event with SA Supra as it follows on from the very successful Advanced Driving Course 2009 , Advanced Driving Course 2010 , High Performance Drive Day 2009 , and High Performance Drive Day 2010 that we previously organised.

This is the step up course from the (Level 2A) Advanced Driving Course that some of you have previously done with the instructors from John Bowe Driving and is the same format as the previously run (Level 2B) High Performance trackday courses at Mallala.

Those who have attended the previous High Performance driving courses with JB over the last few years or have track experience are welcome to participate in this event. Those who attended the Advanced Driving Courses that I organised with John Bowe Driving in 2009 and 2010 are also eligible for this High Performance Driving Course.

If you are new to the forum and haven't done a defensive driving course or some sort of high speed driver training course before, then you probably shouldn't enrol for this type of trackday. Sorry, but this is a safety consideration. John Bowe Driving are offering a separate Level 1 Defensive Driving course on Friday 21 October 2011 ($199) to get you started - please contact me or Luke (heslo) if you want more information on this.

So if you are interested in taking your car out to this trackday, have some track experience (fully sik drifting doesn't count) or are confident at driving hard and won't endanger the rest of us by being a complete noob, then please contact Luke (heslo) via PM for further discussion. If you fancy yourself as the next F1 driver, then I'm sure that McLaren will be looking to sign you up to replace Lewis for their 2012 season - you'd better go back to waiting for that phone call.

If you have been to trackdays as a participant or a spectator and want to improve your driving with a professional instructor, then you might like to do this type of driving course. You are more than welcome to sign up for this if you have previously attended similar Advanced and/or High Performance courses offered through other organisations.

The discounted cost for SAU members will be $365 for the day (it is $465 for the general public in 2011) and you will need an AS/ADR/Snell approved helmet. A fire extinguisher is optional.

Those who are on the JB Driving mailing list may have received an email invitation from Dean for a High Performance Drive Day on Monday October 24 - this is open to the general public and we have instead set aside Tuesday October 25 for club and import drivers.

Sorry, we can't have spectators on the day as they are not covered by public liability insurance.

This is a great way to prepare for and get the most out of the SAU club track days as the instructors on this take you through the Mallala circuit corner by corner and show you good corner entry-apex-exit technique to maximise your laptimes.

Summary:

------

* 20 places available for SAU and SA Supra members

* cost = $465 $365 for a whole day (0830-1630) of instructor led training

* theory session, track walk through, practice laps, then training

* includes morning tea + catered lunch

* lots of bottled water / softdrinks to rehydrate also provided throughout day

* instructor led (ratio 1:4 instructor:drivers)

* relatively safe unless you're really stupid

* but no insurance cover for damaging your car (you participate at your own risk)

* there will be an ambulance crew there (just in case)

* you will need to bring your own (approved) helmet

* metal valve caps for tire valves are required

* fire extinguisher fitment is optional

* no drifting

* no spectators

* no passengers other than the instructors

* a CAMS licence is NOT required.

* this is a supervised training circuit day with strict and specific rules.

* it is not a race session, nor is it a drift day.

* overtaking on corners or under brakes is not allowed.

* definitely no contact with another car's bodywork!

* everyone has the opportunity to go at their own pace

Places are limited as usual - 20 cars in total for SA Supra and SAU, so please PM Luke or me asap for the enrolment form that we will then email to you. If you don't fill out the form and send in your full payment to John Bowe Driving in the next week, then you'll not secure a spot or the discounted club rate.

This event is two weeks from now, so plenty of time to get your car ready and book some time off from work!

Guys get on this! If you're keen to get a taste of the track in an introductory setting where you'll learn heaps about your car, look no further!

If my car was on the road I'd be attending, I've been to a few of these now and every time I come away learning something new; these instruction days are invaluable

Do one of these then step up to one of our full fledged track days to fully appreciate the track experience.

Some photos from last year's event (March) to show you that every driver wants to get the most out of their car by doing this type of course:

img1297i.jpg

img1306b.jpg

img1331t.jpg

If you own a high performance car, then some professional driver training will allow you to extract even more performance from it (and you)!

So if you are interested in taking your car out to this trackday, have some track experience (fully sik drifting doesn't count) or are confident at driving hard and won't endanger the rest of us by being a complete noob, then please contact Luke (heslo) via PM for further discussion.

oh noes, guess i can't come if that is the case :rolleyes:

these are great!

i did one last year and found it really good! worth the money!

if it wasnt so close to the nov trackday and i had a little more notice i would be doing this!

these are great!

i did one last year and found it really good! worth the money!

if it wasnt so close to the nov trackday and i had a little more notice i would be doing this!

yeah, the timing isn't so great with the Skyline Nationals and Nov trackday coming up, but I hope that the people who aren't going to Sky nats or those looking to get a good foundation for the Nov trackday will take advantage of the discounted course fee offered here.

id definately be keen to attend one of these in the future, unfortunately im laid up with a knee recon at the moment and wont be allowed to drive for at least another 6 weeks. Ive never done any track work before so sounds like an awesome idea to get a start.

Last call for the trackday course on next Tuesday (October 25)

There are a few spots left and we'd love to see some SAU guys out there at Mallala.

Please let me know here or via PM by 3pm tomorrow (Friday) so that I can finalise numbers with John Bowe Driving as they're flying in over the weekend.

Thanks - Kim