SAU Community

Newb Wants To Get A Stagea, What To Look For?

Aegats

Yeah thats what I´m worried about if its a bigger issue than just a slipping fan belt. How does one differentiate if its a slipping fan belt or a deeper problem?

First of all have a look at the condition of them, they are behind the radiator, and there are 2 of em. If they look all cracked/hard and flogged out, they'll be pretty old. On the longer lengths of the belt give em a push down and see how far they deflect (ie move) If they feel soft to push down, then they are prob. loose.

Good trick I learnt to tell noises apart, is grab a shortish bit of garden hose, and hold it next to the thing you want to hear, while you listen to the other end. It cancels some of the other noises out, and can pick up suspect bearings on tensioners and other bits. Warning- you might look like a bit of a retardunsure.gif

Drove the car to about 3500rpm and it sounded good, didnt really hear the noise any more.

You only drove it to 3500rpm...?ermm.gif

Ummmm... go back and flog it. Trust me, they expect it. Just don't drive it like you stole it, or break any obvious laws. Noises will become apparent if you drive it harder.

They sell evo's, so they are use to people driving faster cars.

That being said- Northshore stand by their cars. Honestly, if you get someone like a workshop to look at it, they most likely won't have a clue what their looking at.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all have a look at the condition of them, they are behind the radiator, and there are 2 of em. If they look all cracked/hard and flogged out, they'll be pretty old. On the longer lengths of the belt give em a push down and see how far they deflect (ie move) If they feel soft to push down, then they are prob. loose.

Good trick I learnt to tell noises apart, is grab a shortish bit of garden hose, and hold it next to the thing you want to hear, while you listen to the other end. It cancels some of the other noises out, and can pick up suspect bearings on tensioners and other bits. Warning- you might look like a bit of a retardunsure.gif

You only drove it to 3500rpm...?ermm.gif

Ummmm... go back and flog it. Trust me, they expect it. Just don't drive it like you stole it, or break any obvious laws. Noises will become apparent if you drive it harder.

They sell evo's, so they are use to people driving faster cars.

That being said- Northshore stand by their cars. Honestly, if you get someone like a workshop to look at it, they most likely won't have a clue what their looking at.

Thanks for the tip regarding the garden hose and the belts. Will have a go when I check out the car again.

Yeah only drove the car to about 3500-4000rpm, just the didnt give the car enough push. There are 2 cars there that I´m checking out, so will try them again and this time push it abit harder.

SGIC doesnt seem to be in NSW. NRMA do insure though.

I went and checked a Stagea ARX M35 at North shore presitge and liked what I saw. I´m not in a rush to but so I´ll still keep my eyes open for something. Was down at Japlink and really wasnt too impressed with the cars, looked abit dirty on the outside.

If I do go through with the car will get a mechanic to look over it. There was a small whine from the engine, sounded like the fan belt slipping. The guy there said it was just a case of tightning it. Still I´d rather hear that from some one not biased.

So any one have any ideas if the guys at MTA pre purchase are any good at checking out the car? The thing is I want to buy a car and not really want it to turn it into a moneypit. I´m all for upgrades just not fixing a lot of issues.

LOL, it's fair enough that the cars at JapLink might be dirty - they are parked outside and exposed to the elements anyway so you'd have to remember to factor that in, don't forget. I believe (and people can correct me if I'm wrong) that North Shore park most or all of their cars indoors, so once they're cleaned they pretty much stay that way.

Either way, I'd still recommend BOTH places, so just go with what your instinct tells you - your gut feeling is usually right.

LOL, it's fair enough that the cars at JapLink might be dirty - they are parked outside and exposed to the elements anyway so you'd have to remember to factor that in, don't forget. I believe (and people can correct me if I'm wrong) that North Shore park most or all of their cars indoors, so once they're cleaned they pretty much stay that way.

Either way, I'd still recommend BOTH places, so just go with what your instinct tells you - your gut feeling is usually right.

True Northshores cars did look better as they are kept inside (the one I was looking at was in the shop front and was nice and clean), will pass by Japlink after work on Friday and take a look at them again.

I passed by Japlink last sunday but I was in a rush so didnt really spend time looking at the cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, would you guys buy a car thats been repainted? I was looking at one car and its been repainted, looks good but just wondering why it was done. Would you guys be wary?

With bike for instance they are usually repainted because they've been down and it cost less to repaint it a flat colour than back to the original. So normally for me the first thing that comes to mind if a bike has been resprayed then its been down.

id be checking for some serious damage

maybe its been done well, maybe it hasnt.

unless its cheap, and i mean really cheap, steer clear of it

there are PLENTY of other great condition models around. from dealers and private sales.

Thanks for the tip regarding the garden hose and the belts. Will have a go when I check out the car again.

Yeah only drove the car to about 3500-4000rpm, just the didnt give the car enough push. There are 2 cars there that I´m checking out, so will try them again and this time push it abit harder.

after you've given it a bit of stick, turn it off and pop open the oil filler

a little bit of oil vapour is ok, but if there a moderate amount in there its a heavy breather = worn bottom end

i doubt there would be much, my tractor doesn't have much in there after a good flog so your renault motors should be just as goodwhistling.gif

id be checking for some serious damage

maybe its been done well, maybe it hasnt.

unless its cheap, and i mean really cheap, steer clear of it

there are PLENTY of other great condition models around. from dealers and private sales.

Well the car wasn't cheap, far from it. Also asked the guy about the different dash (I think its the cruise control dash) and he had no clue. Car itself drove well, made sure this time to rev it a bit.

The missus picked up a noise coming from the left had side. Not sure, seemed to be from the passenger side under the passenger feet, not moving noise wasn't there, once start moving could hear it.

Damn this, no good Stageas out there. I've been scouring ebay, carsales, trading point and nothing comes up.

I'll have a look at the oil filler next time I test drive.

Might just have to get an A-RX then.

Edited by Aegats

Ok my search still goes on, had a look at another M35 and seemed ok. Went ahead and got an inspection and the inspector told me that underbody has some thick tar / paint on it, there were also other issues with the car. The tar paint might then be used to cover up rust and if the rust is structural then shit.

So best to be safe than sorry so I will keep on looking.

Pic of under body chassis rail.

post-88448-0-06431500-1320275035_thumb.jpg

post-88448-0-17762100-1320275081_thumb.jpg

Ok my search still goes on, had a look at another M35 and seemed ok. Went ahead and got an inspection and the inspector told me that underbody has some thick tar / paint on it, there were also other issues with the car. The tar paint might then be used to cover up rust and if the rust is structural then shit.

I bet you saw that car at a dealer on Parramatta road?

Run far, run fast!whistling.gif

There's no reason to have that shit all over the place like that, on a10 year old car; unless you're trying to hide something.

Keep looking; the right one will come along.

I bet you saw that car at a dealer on Parramatta road?

Yup. yes.gif

Run far, run fast!whistling.gif

There's no reason to have that shit all over the place like that, on a10 year old car; unless you're trying to hide something.

Keep looking; the right one will come along.

I've got my running shoes on. ninja.gif

As Above.

If its going to be a Rust issue, then it was a Snow car- ie one from waaaayyyyyy up north.

Keep on truckin... you'll find one.

I'm still looking out for the right one. I'm in no rush so I'll wait for the perfect one to come along. thanks.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ok still looking for a M35.

Found one but it has a few issues, just wanted to get your thoughts on them and if they are big issues . How much would it cost to fix/ repair them? I'm going to call mechanics around here and see if i can get quotes.

- FRONT UNIVERSAL JOINT OF FRONT TAILSHAFT IS WORN.

- RHF RACK HAS SLIGHT MOVEMENT ON RACK & PINION.

- BOTH FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM RUBBER BUSHES ARE WORN AT REAR SIDES.

- OIL LEAKING FROM PASSENGER SIDE ROCKER COVER GASKET AREA.

- TURBO INTERCOOLER HOSE LEAKING FROM CLAMP

I've got afew more M35's to look at but damn, these inspection costs are mounting up.

Ok still looking for a M35.

Found one but it has a few issues, just wanted to get your thoughts on them and if they are big issues . How much would it cost to fix/ repair them? I'm going to call mechanics around here and see if i can get quotes.

- FRONT UNIVERSAL JOINT OF FRONT TAILSHAFT IS WORN.

- RHF RACK HAS SLIGHT MOVEMENT ON RACK & PINION.

- BOTH FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM RUBBER BUSHES ARE WORN AT REAR SIDES.

- OIL LEAKING FROM PASSENGER SIDE ROCKER COVER GASKET AREA.

- TURBO INTERCOOLER HOSE LEAKING FROM CLAMP

I've got afew more M35's to look at but damn, these inspection costs are mounting up.

Theres nothing really serious in there, surely the importer would fix them for you? Or is this a private sale?