SAU Community

R34GTT Vs R32GTR

R34GTT Vs R32GTR

(The R33 is starting to look a little dull...)

R34GTT or R32GTR...both are hoving around the $35 000.00 mark for a fairly good example...

Considaring Age/Km's/Performance/Handling etc etc what would be the better option ?

"Undecided"

GTR would be better for performance and handleing without a doubt.

It depends on whether you want a newer, nicer looking (subject to opinion of course) car with a nicer interior, or an older car that probably done more K's, but has better speed and handleing.

EDIT : just beat me to the post ex-static :D. Yes, my personal preferance would be the R34 as well.

I used to be hung up on the kay thing. But I think thats more a state of mind then a dead car.

I know all (or most) of the power facts and figures of both. I'm just after opinons here. Hopefully someone might of had the same decision to make and could share expirences.

Firstly, i'd like to see you get a good example R34GTT for 35k...???

Personally, the reasons why I chose an R34GTT over an R32GTR were as follows:

* R34 looks and feels fresher - the R32 is getting a little out dated

* R34 has more passenger room than an R32

* R32 is a more expensive car to maintain - costs of repairs would be extremely expensive

* a 7 to 10yr old R32 would be more prone to break than a 4 yr old R34 - something to consider if you like track work like me perhaps?

* R34's are extremely responsive, i consider the R to be quite laggy

Some of things i felt i had to forgo not getting an R32 GTR:

* extremely high HP potential

* is it the ultimate driving machine?

* street credability?

in essence, i think the most motivating factor for me purchasing the R34 was the age of the car and finance. i would say, however, an R34 without a kit looks rather plain compared to a stock R32 GTR...!

i have not looked back on my decision to buy an R34GTT over the R32GTR, or perhaps spend a little more and get an R33 GTR. I'm far more happier with the fresh look and feel of the R34 and will be plenty happy with the performance of it once i add a few bolt on mods such as front mount, inlet plenum and ecu.

cheers, hope this helps....in any case with either car you can't go too wrong :D

franks

HAHhahah oh dear.

This isnt going to be liked but what the, this is an internet forum so ill say what i feel.

The last couple of posts show why this is one of the 'softest' car forums on the net. Post the same question on the NZ SDU sight and the r32 would win hands down.

You cannot go passed an r32 gtr if you love skylines and driving and cars in general.

IF you think they look out dated. try looking at one in the flesh it looks as good today as it ever did. Especially with some DISH.

Ride not comfortable enough? soft.

I believe that motoring reached perfection in 1989, and will probably not be reached again for another 20 years.

You cannot call r32 gtr oldschool, its more or less the same as a r34 gtr under the skin. Or is that oldschool too?

This is why i cringe when i read these boards

fair call lagwagon, but i'm just waiting for my R34 GTR :D

have you ever driven either car? i have, and own 1 of them. it comes down to personal preference, financial situation and risk - being a skyline fan is far from the matter at hand...

sure the diehard driving fan would opt for the R32 GTR, but the question wasn't solely focused on what was the best driver's car...

that said, i believe the question was posed on SDU and im quite sure it wasn't as one sided as you may have suggested.

All points valid...

But for the intended use I think the GTR is the wiser choice. I've got a second car so if it kills it self its a matter of parking it up in the garage and waiting for the repairs to be complete.

Alot of people off the forum have "almost" convinced me that if I was to buy a GTT I might as well use the money on my GTS-t...as the desired result would be improved with the money spendt over purchase and modding a GTT. Of course the body shape of the GTT is much better, agreed...but again...who cares what the car looks like on a race track, or driving through some twisty stuff !!!

Plus....with the R32...I can boste that THIS is the car that was banned from Bathurst...hehehehe :D

Andy.. go the GTR.. you know you want to.

R34s look great on the street, but GTRs have a dominant presence.

In a way, it is a question of show or go, the GTR will always outperform its newer counterpart. Ask yourself, if you are after an almost identical car with some newer bits and pieces, or if you are after a change in driving experience.

Consider too, resale value with the purchase. It is entirely likely that depreciation will occur on a much greater scale with the R34 than the R32. I doubt it would be as extreme as the R33s due to the upcoming change in the import rules, but it would still be on my list when evaluating the two.

You only live once, make the most of the opportunity, go the R :D

Morgs...as always wise......I've always wanted the GTR....but i did have a GTT stage/EVO stage/ etc etc etc......:confused:

wait a second.......

I see a round-da-bout coming up..........

No no... not all show no go.... of course the GTT is no slouch, especially once you warm it up, but the GTR is much more performance orientated. The R34 has other benefits to offer over the GTR, such as refinement, looks, age, and condition. :D

Anyway, im sure this argument has no conclusion, next week Andy will want a WRX :)

doesn't the GTt have the RB25DET Neo? which when compared to its equivalent in previous models is a superior and better tuned engine.

R32 GTR's are nice to do mods on, essentially the same as the new GTR's but just pure machine (not sayin the R32 GTR doesn't have any tech). What I love about the new GTR's is the mix of technology AND mechanics. For example the display in the 34 GTR that shows the G forces... pure brilliance.

For an experienced driver the R32 is a viable buy because they know ther back to front, for others they may want more control and more feedback from the car, in which case the newer models are good.

In order of ease of modifications, i think its r32 which is easiest then r34 then r33.

Personally I'd go for the R33 GTR V Spec over the R34 GTT for power, but for street cred the 34 is always gonna turn more heads than *another* R33 (no matter what's under the bonnet).

I don't know. Modern Cars seem to feel a little lifeless to me (Note:I have not driven a R34GTR..Morgs, Comments please...). I know on my bosses new SS Commodore, it was like a video game, turn the wheel and you get little or no feed back, all the sense of component movement was basically gone.

Where as in the GTS-t I still get a sense of feedback from the steering wheel.

I agree the R33's are getting wayyyyy too common, esp GTR badged ones.

I think a nice clean cared after GTR with some nice mild mods is the go!

I can see your point, that the refinement in never cars has muffled the raw driver feel that something older provides. The commodore is alot different than the Skyline for more than obvious reasons, and often critisised for poor steering feel.

In regard to R32-->R34 GTR, the R34 GTR is much more refined and smoother, it has all the benefits of development whereas the R32 has more raw driver appeal, not to say it is not smooth in relation to say a commodore of the same age. Unfortuantely, you pay for it through the nose :)

R32 GTR with some bolt on bits, provided it isn't teetering on the edge of a rebuild/thrashed, then im sure it'll provide you many km of driving enjoyment :D

Don't so worried about that...As long as the body is all in good nick is my main concern. I intend to keep the car indifintely. I'd perfer to spend money on a good auto daily driver, and at the same time have a classic in the garage...which is what the r32 is.

I've thought about a plan for the R32 (must be silver) if I decide on that. Silver with a little red splashed around (like red silicon/strut braces etc etc.)