SAU Community

Turbo Boosting But Giving Now Power?

SYC-033

so i had my car at the mechanics the other day for a radiator water pump and turbo gasket change he also cleaned the plugs regapped them removed the manifold filed it to... its all back together now and when boost comes on my car gets no power at all the turbo sounds like its working but nothing is happening is it possible he has put it back on wrong its a high mount externally gated gt35/40 any ideas would be great guys use always help :)

I doubt you'll get anywhere near full boost if you had a boost leak, I'd say it would be more along the lines of a timming issue, either ignition timing or cam timing.

You said he changed the water pump, so the timing belt most probably was removed, it's possible one of the cams is out a tooth?

Also check you base timing, if it's retarded the car will feel sluggish. It's possible as the CAS would have been removed to get at the water pump.

Is also check inside the piping.

Mechanics put rags in them so no foreign contaminants get in.

Sometimes they forget to take them out.

Will have boost, with no flow.

As mentioned check the timing belt and cas.

Good luck with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Put it all back together and still has the same problem WTF!!

borrowed a timing light and its out -30 degree ish.. advanced the CAS as far as i can go will put timing to 0 when timing should be 15.

time to pull it down again and check for the 10th time... and try and find where im missing 15degree still.

Could my CAS be rooted??? or maybe i have cam timing right but got the crank a tooth or two out? i got the belt right in the past but this time is doing my head in.

Where are you taking the timing from, the loop at the back of the engine or coil #1?

And what timing light is it (cheap, decent etc)?

Loop at back of engine and timing light is from Snap-on.

Car ran like shit again as i was just aligning the CAS back to the same marks before hand so i borrowed the timing light and when i checked it was so far off it wasn't funny.

Once i advanced the CAS the power was back but now top end power has gone completely..

I have checked compression and all cyl are over 160psi so that gave me some hope its not bent vales ect.

Is it possible for the CAS not to alight correctly even with the key?

I counted that i need 38 teeth between inlet and exhaust cam (or 39 to be one past) to line up the belt but with the crank i didn't count teeth i just slipped it on making sure the exhaust side didn't have any slack.. tonight im going to make sure i have the right number of teeth between exhaust and crank.. which is 47 if i read it correctly.

post-30886-0-94531300-1323064820_thumb.jpg

cheers.gif

Always always check again and again when doing the belt before you tension it, after you tension it, then give it a few more rotation and check again so you know its right. It helps using a mirror when trying to see if the crank mark is lined up as its sometimes hard to see exactly. Use the marks on the belt to line them all up then count again to make sure but yeah it is possible for a faulty cas to retard it like that so that can be next checklist once your 100percent sure the belt is lined up.

Always always check again and again when doing the belt before you tension it, after you tension it, then give it a few more rotation and check again so you know its right. It helps using a mirror when trying to see if the crank mark is lined up as its sometimes hard to see exactly. Use the marks on the belt to line them all up then count again to make sure but yeah it is possible for a faulty cas to retard it like that so that can be next checklist once your 100percent sure the belt is lined up.

yeah i have checked and checked again might even try and take a photo and upload it as i could think its aligned but i actually have it off..

Timing belt does not have any marks except for 3 lines all together (its a gates racing belt) and this is why i am counting the teeth (i think I should be counting the gaps on the belt as the numbers are actually on the cam and crank pulley teeth)

Fingers crossed i have it all right and its possibly a f**ked CAS as ill be changing it if i have it all correct.