SAU Community

New M35 Owner

pomnz

So this afternoon I will finally be picking up my 2002 250t RS four v hicas after importing it myself to NZ. I am starting this thread as I will no doubt have lots of Qs of the coming weeks.

The first of these is what do the side curtain airbags look like? I have noticed these small sorta rectangluar bits at the top of each pillar in between the front and back doors, is this the airbags or does everyone have them? Will try and post a pic if I can.

Also if anyone has any Qs about importing your own motor to Nz then I'd be happy to help

So this afternoon I will finally be picking up my 2002 250t RS four v hicas after importing it myself to NZ. I am starting this thread as I will no doubt have lots of Qs of the coming weeks.

The first of these is what do the side curtain airbags look like? I have noticed these small sorta rectangluar bits at the top of each pillar in between the front and back doors, is this the airbags or does everyone have them? Will try and post a pic if I can.

Also if anyone has any Qs about importing your own motor to Nz then I'd be happy to help

If they are airbags shouldn't they have "SRS" inscribed on them?

AFAIK it was a factory option and not many cars came with them...

Lol I'm sure mine will b fine unless the mrs is driving it, having said that I did write her car off rather spectacularly a few years back, airbags taste quite stingy from what I remember! Other driver ended up in cuffs though so it was definitely not my fault.

I've just been to see my Stag, not getting it until tomorrow now as it failed compliance. Only needs one headlight level adjusting though so it's all good. The place phoned me and opened with" its gonna need some repairs", my wallet winced til he told me what it was lol,

First time I ever sat in one was today, impressed so far and really pleased as I've saved a fortune importing myself.

OK thanks for your help so far guys, the compliance place fixed whatever was up with the headlight for 30 bucks so its all good. Today I actually got to drive the car instead of looking at pictures everyday like she's some dirty girl off the internets :wub:.

First impressions; so smooth, so very smooth and quiet. But then it turns into a beast once the turbo winds up, the grip is just at silly levels. It feels a bit floaty on occasion but I guess that's coz I'm used to driving on hard suspension set-ups?

My Turbo is quieter than I expected, you can hear it but its definitely not loud like I've read many others report but I guess this is a good thing? It does come with full Nissan service history so I'm hoping I'll get some more life out of it yet.

One question, the button that locks all the doors located by the drivers elec window controls does not lock the drivers door is this normal?

$30 - can't have been much of a problem :thumbsup: .

I thought grip was great on mine too. Then I started modifying & it gets heaps better.

You may get years more out of your turbo if you look after it with quality oil & reasonable change intervals. Or you may not.... hard to tell really.

Yes, the door lock is functioning correctly.

Can you post some pics? It's always nice to check out the new guys ride. And welcome to the Stagea forums. We are generally a decent bunch around here.

Edited by Commsman

Well I did my first service today, used some Castrol Edge 0w40 and a Ryco oil filter. Also put a new air filter in there. That tray on the bottom on the engine is a bore to get off but once that's done the sump and filter are easy to access which is good. Air filter took me bloody ages to figure out that you just need to give the airbox a good yank and it comes right out haha. Also had a good poke under the car, no nasty surprises so I'm pleased.

I def do NOT have the side airbags.

Quick n00b question about tyre pressures, should the back be higher presure than the front or the other way around? Have the sticker telling me the pressues but its in jap of course

Have given her a bit of a :spank:and have to say LSD = win; lots of fun. They don't half shift for a big car.

post-88992-0-33395000-1323508933_thumb.jpg

40psi all round :)

I used to run 40, thinking it was on the high end, then more than one tire place told me that was too low. They suggest closer to 50psi as I'll scrub the edges off anyway so might as well wear the middle of the tread with the higher pressure. Ask around as I'm keen to know if it's just a local thing or if it's a widely held belief. BTW, may not be as applicable for different sized tires. Mine are the popular M35 size, 245/50/18.

Huh????why?

"please explain"

Best combination between comfort, economy, tyre wear rate and handling.

Any lower and it felt soggy and I found a noticeable decrease in economy.

You go lower or higher?

Reasoning?

EDIT: I should mention that was with 225/55/17's although I did run the same pressure when I had the Nismo's (234/40/18).

Edited by iamhe77

Hmmm 40 seems kinda high to me, the sticker on the drivers door says 210 kpa. (30.5psi) and 240 kpa (35psi) but I can't tell which is for front and which for rear. I run stock wheels/tyres that are 215/55/17.

post-88992-0-83004300-1323549752_thumb.jpg

Best combination between comfort, economy, tyre wear rate and handling.

Any lower and it felt soggy and I found a noticeable decrease in economy.

You go lower or higher?

Reasoning?

EDIT: I should mention that was with 225/55/17's although I did run the same pressure when I had the Nismo's (234/40/18).

I run in between 34 and 36 on the street for extra grip unless I want to have some fun in the wet!.....Aussie roads are shit so 40PSI would no be a nice ride and imo you get no handling improvement. I always look at tyre pressures as another suspension adjustment.

running 55 series tyre though I can sort of see why you went up in pressures depending on your tyres. E.G. Nankangs felt mushy on the sidewall even at 40+ psi on the track...the Falkens I have only ever gone to 38-40 PSI on the track with bleed off!