SAU Community

Custom Rear Parcel Shelf-Vic

gtsttrk

Hey guys was wondering if any one would be able to fabricate me a rear parcel shelf. I'm after one that has cut outs for four 6x9 speakers/grills. The one I have was botched when my last 6x9s went in (long story). I'm located in hawthorn east melb 3123. If anyone wants to give me a quote or discuss this further please let me know:)

I'm pretty open on price, but in saying that I'm also on a bit of a budget. I was thinking MDF as I thought that would give the best sound. Hadn't thought of alloy. Would that give any significant advantages?

Remove the standard shelf, take off the carpet cover thing, cut a piece of 9mm MDF to it's exact shape, re-fit the vents etc, glue the carpet to the MDF, voila!

Depending on what 6X9's you want to fit will change the required thickness of the spacers. Did mine this exact way and looks exceptional.....

you could always make one up out of mdf & fibreglass n mould the spacers etc into it?

That would be ideally what I'd wanna do. But I'm very limited in my resources and space to do a project like that. And I'd pay through the roof I reckon to get something like that made in a shop.

That would be ideally what I'd wanna do. But I'm very limited in my resources and space to do a project like that. And I'd pay through the roof I reckon to get something like that made in a shop.

post-74990-0-79996600-1323586498_thumb.jpg

Jigsaw, MDF, glue, basic hand tools and time. Large piece of thin foam and some screws if you want to secure it to stop it rattling....

post-74990-0-79996600-1323586498_thumb.jpg

Jigsaw, MDF, glue, basic hand tools and time. Large piece of thin foam and some screws if you want to secure it to stop it rattling....

That looks sweet, I'll have to get started making one of those myself as I've got some 6x9's coming in the mail for me this week. Any tips on making it fit, or would an exact template from the original shelf be fine? What thickness mdf did you use?

That looks sweet, I'll have to get started making one of those myself as I've got some 6x9's coming in the mail for me this week. Any tips on making it fit, or would an exact template from the original shelf be fine? What thickness mdf did you use?

I used the exact cut-out of the factory shelf carpet, and re-fitted the stock vents and rear-wiper motor cover as in the pic. It's made of 9mm, tight fit but sturdy, you could use something thinner though...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...