SAU Community

Mr30 Work Bus?

Union76

Hi All,

I'm in need of a bit of help.

The need for a new work vehicle is here. I am thinking of buying an MR but I need some knowledge from those that Pilot them. Any comments that you make, I Thank You.

I currently run an AU Falcooon, but it's almost shagged out. POS really. Not worth saving now. Too far gone.

I have my eye on a rather STD '84 MR30 Hatch. Well serviced roughly 200k on clock. Auto 4spd.

My Info/Requirements:

- I have limited cash, 2-3k max. Monies being spent elsewhere.........

- I drive 190kms a day, 6 days a week.

- I am in prime FWY 110km zone 95% of my voyage to work.

- I sometimes run a Country Short Cut which is sealed but ruggered, again 110km all the way.

- I need to Tow 6x4 Trailer to Tip/Lanscape Joint.

- Will have to go on LPG.

- Vehicle will have to last me 2years min.

- I am handy with a spanner.

Talk to me about how good an Auto 2.4 MR30 on LPG will be.

Thanks for your time,

Mike.

Hi All,

I'm in need of a bit of help.

The need for a new work vehicle is here. I am thinking of buying an MR but I need some knowledge from those that Pilot them. Any comments that you make, I Thank You.

I currently run an AU Falcooon, but it's almost shagged out. POS really. Not worth saving now. Too far gone.

I have my eye on a rather STD '84 MR30 Hatch. Well serviced roughly 200k on clock. Auto 4spd.

My Info/Requirements:

- I have limited cash, 2-3k max. Monies being spent elsewhere.........

- I drive 190kms a day, 6 days a week. 66yostagea had an 85 MR30 Ti sedatch that expired at about 600,000k, so on that you should get 5 more years at your rate

- I am in prime FWY 110km zone 95% of my voyage to work.

- I sometimes run a Country Short Cut which is sealed but ruggered, again 110km all the way.

- I need to Tow 6x4 Trailer to Tip/Lanscape Joint. Standard tow bar is rated at about 900kg and Factory handbook says 400kg unbraked

- Will have to go on LPG. Rob Ward in Adelaide is getting over 200Kw at the wheels on straight LPG so I can't see that being a problem

- Vehicle will have to last me 2years min.

- I am handy with a spanner.

Talk to me about how good an Auto 2.4 MR30 on LPG will be.

Thanks for your time,

Mike.

Hi Mike

If you're interested in an MR30 sedan, let me know. Series 1, 256000km, auto (3 speed though). Good condition, well looked after, with lots of spares.

Spares include spare L24 engine (done 170000k,), two spare auto trans (3sp and 4sp), VL drive shaft and cross member for 4sp auto, struts, springs, brake disks, calipers, rear drums, set of injectors, efi relays, switches, starter motor, aircon compressor, oil cooler, radiator, full engine gasket set, water pump, alternator, speedo cable, two or three distributors, fuel pump. Almost enough to keep it running forever.

It's currently on club reg. Should pass RWC. Only doubt is repaired chip in windscreen however it passed before in same condition.

I'm moving interstate (overseas actually, Tasmania) and would like to sell the lot. Price $1800 firm. Also have extractors for it (but they're only for sale if Mario doesn't want them) plus a nifty new engine trolley from Rods & Relics. Extractors and trolley would be extra.

JohnH

Hi all,

An R31 - yeah, to be honest I've not really looked at an 31, except the bloody one in my garage with no front shocks going no where............ Wagon would be okay.

Christ JohnH, you're trying to sell me an r30 garage! Maybe a bigger task than I'm looking for with respect - I've got a couple to look at, certainly keep you in mind. And hey, I'm born and Bred Hobartian, let me tell you you Mainlanders (Australian's you call it) don't know the good life until you head down to TAS. Take it easy, drink Cascade Draught - not Boggs.

So, simple questions:

Would a well maintained STD MR30 on LPG with 4spd Auto hold 110km on FWY RPM wise easily and be economical?

Do they run nicely on LPG?

And how about just unleaded - economical?

I'm reading on an old post, 8lt per 100kms HWY AUTO - Anyone actually get this or better/worse?

Or do I just buy a Peugeot 405 Diesel and look uncool?

Cheers,

Mike.

Im born and bred Tassie aswell (not inbred like the northern half though) Lived in the Channel district for 15 years, then Eastern Shore of Hobart for another 5...

Loved the lifestyle, still visit 3 or so times a year!

Boags in a bottle is good.

Cascade in a can is good.

END OF STORY.....

In my eyes, an MR30 is a great car as a daily, occasional commuter. But if it was my bread & butter I wouldnt bet my income on it.

They are old. No matter what you do, there is always something else needing attention at some point in time,

Fuel economy is pretty rubbish, I used to get 12lt per 100 km on mine, and it only had 130,000km too. After I changed the ECU over to Microtech it went into the 8lt/100km on the highway. But on most occasions I still got 380 - 400 km per tank...

If you managet to find a really good example, (like JohnH's) and kept it regularly serviced and fixed everything in time, then yes its a good thing.

But the good examples are very few and far between... I would look at upgrading the springs to King Springs, as this would help your towing. Im pretty sure you could order in a set of std height, but 20% STIFFER.

Oh and the injectors will leak, its a fact of life. If one needs doing, replace the lot as its a big pain doing it 6 times over a year.

Im born and bred Tassie aswell (not inbred like the northern half though) Lived in the Channel district for 15 years, then Eastern Shore of Hobart for another 5...

Loved the lifestyle, still visit 3 or so times a year!

Boags in a bottle is good.

Cascade in a can is good.

END OF STORY.....

In my eyes, an MR30 is a great car as a daily, occasional commuter. But if it was my bread & butter I wouldnt bet my income on it.

They are old. No matter what you do, there is always something else needing attention at some point in time,

Fuel economy is pretty rubbish, I used to get 12lt per 100 km on mine, and it only had 130,000km too. After I changed the ECU over to Microtech it went into the 8lt/100km on the highway. But on most occasions I still got 380 - 400 km per tank...

If you managet to find a really good example, (like JohnH's) and kept it regularly serviced and fixed everything in time, then yes its a good thing.

But the good examples are very few and far between... I would look at upgrading the springs to King Springs, as this would help your towing. Im pretty sure you could order in a set of std height, but 20% STIFFER.

Oh and the injectors will leak, its a fact of life. If one needs doing, replace the lot as its a big pain doing it 6 times over a year.

Thank You for this info. A general summary is what I was after.

So, if I took the time to setup properly it is possible, but otherwise it's a bit of a roll of the dice.

BTW: Down the Channel is Gods Country, I grew up on the Eastern Shore (well 30 odd years!) and like wise I always go home 3-4 times a year.

Thanks.

Mike

What's wrong with the Boag's Mike? Best beer in Oz in my opinion and if their adv is true to form I'm gunna chuck the other half in the river when I get down there soon.

I like those adds Dennis.

However, after you've thrown it into the river try an old school Cascade Lager (Blue Label - it is full strength), only available in TAS been around for years - nice stuff.

Why can't they sell it over here.........

not sure about this think i might have to get our customs to reject you lol

The fresh fruit and veg sniffer dog might discover an illegal consignment of oranges and bananas in my boogie board bag.

Great place Tas. The town where I'm going only has one commercial establishment and they sell all kinds of beer (and cider), http://www.weldborough.com.au/new/

JH

The fresh fruit and veg sniffer dog might discover an illegal consignment of oranges and bananas in my boogie board bag.

Great place Tas. The town where I'm going only has one commercial establishment and they sell all kinds of beer (and cider), http://www.weldborough.com.au/new/

JH

Weldborough - know it well.

Weldborough Pub - know it even better. Ciders, Ginger Beers and Van Dieman Beers.

Fantastic Place, love it. Stayed there last Winter and planning on heading back this Winter to stay again. The people there were so nice, had a great time....

Wouldn't mind heading North to the NorthEast Coast for a look, meant to be magical. In my 30years of living in TAS I've never been right up there.

Take your MR with you, I imagine it would blast through some of those roads esp. the one into Scottsdale (a bit rough now though) and from Weldborough back to Pub in the Paddock and the ST Mary's loop - christ I could go on, they were all lots of fun in my DR.......

Regards,

Mike.

I'm going there for a 25 day 4x4 adventure in March 2012.

Departing my place wee hours of 4th to arrive on the Spirit am 5th & returning 29th.

When you gunna be there John? I have accommodation booked at Derby.

I am doing the Hellyer Rd Distillery at Burnie, the Lark Distillery in Hobart & Boag's in Launceston along the way..

Cheers, D

Edited by Ghostrider

When you gunna be there John? I have accommodation booked at Derby.

I am doing the Hellyer Rd Distillery at Burnie, the Lark Distillery in Hobart & Boag's in Launceston along the way..

Cheers, D

Hi Dennis,

Derby is just down the road. If all goes to plan I'll be there in March. I'll PM you my number.

I've attached a pic of me driving the Falcon up the Lottah Rd to the Blue Tier (and fixing the road on the way!) You'd have no problem in a 4WD,

Take your MR with you

Hi Mike,

Too many vehicles to take over: two cars and one motorbike.

You might recognise this stretch of road:

We should get back to the topic now: LPG and R30 hatch. 4 sp auto.

post-61769-0-43071400-1323944166_thumb.jpg

Of course I'm joking mate :) Was hopeing to get a rise out of Chinna lol!

lol i just think its funny

i live in Tassie but i was born in europe for the inbread calls and stuff don't phaze me

like some other person said u don't know what ur missing. best place ever

Mike, If you really want a Skyline as a work horse, I would go with the works510 suggestion with maybe a wagon. Newer, parts easier to come by etc etc etc

Yeah I'm starting to think that way. The MR idea still has it's merrits and would be cool but.............

You'll have a good time down in TAS Dennis - if you get time (half a day or so) and like a bit of "Off the Cuff Art" go and check this place out, it's 10mins out of Hobart at a Winery and is free http://mona.net.au/ highly recomend it, you'll walk out "effected" - well at least I did.

Also, if you drive past the Shot Tower in Taroona just outside of Hobart, call in. Down below the touristy bit in the Tower is a tea Room. The lady there makes her own Jams, Scones and Cream - christ almighty they're the best I've ever had. Call in everytime I go down. http://taroona.tas.au/shot-tower

I'll stop now! Plenty more though.

Derby is just down the road. If all goes to plan I'll be there in March. I'll PM you my number.

Hi Mike,

Too many vehicles to take over: two cars and one motorbike.

You might recognise this stretch of road:

We should get back to the topic now: LPG and R30 hatch. 4 sp auto.

Derby, great place also.

And too many to take down, I can see how that will add up quite easily $

And Yes, that road looks familiar alright!

lol i just think its funny

i live in Tassie but i was born in europe for the inbread calls and stuff don't phaze me

like some other person said u don't know what ur missing. best place ever

Yes, there was and still is (but maybe not so much now) a Tassie North vs South thing.

But the inbred thing, well - I've worked in a few States now and I gotta say that Tassie is not that bad, trust me.

It's just some dumbarses on the Mainland who will comment on the place and people without even having been there. Think they know it all. Think they're funny......... Used to piss me off, but know I just look at them and laugh - "you dumb f#ck".

Anyway.

Edited by Union76

I dunno about inbred in Tassie, but some years ago I was working, ummmm doing a job for a mate, at Bahlbone Mines out towards Mudgee and had a beer at a quaint little pub at a place called Cullen Bullen and the barmaid had 5 fingers plus a thumb????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

D