SAU Community

Please be careful on the road guys

DJR34

Hey guys, i thought id put up this post because of something that happened a couple of days ago. A good mate of mine recently had $18k to blow on a car and i promptly told him to get a Skyline when he asked what car could he get in that price range that was reliable.

After weeks of looking he bought a beautiful red r33 ser 1 gtst and he was thrilled. He said it was the best car hes ever driven. On saturday he had a bad accident and wrote off his car. He only had it on the road for about a month when this happened. The accident was the result of driving on semi country roads (ie Kangaroo Ground) and apparently a 4wd was flying up the middle of the road and he had to swerve to avoid it. That was when he lost control at speed and hit a tree, writing off his car. Thankfully he is alright and only sustained a broken leg as it couldve been worse.

Its terrible when accidents like this happen, especially to ppl with such beautiful cars, and im urging people to take it a bit easier on the roads. I myself have had an accident in my Skyline, and while it wasnt written off (luckily) it really made me appreciate how fragile these cars can be, and how expensive it is to repair them (and how hard it is to get parts, esp for a ser 2!) While it wasnt my friends fault in this accident, i am aware of other ppl on this forum having bad accidents and its worrying. I sometimes see crashed cars on the way back home from uni and sometimes they are imports. It creates a bad image of import drivers in general and as a consequence, i myself have been pulled over 3 times in the last couple of weeks because of "the car that you drive" (cops words)

So for your own safety and the continued exitence of your own cars, please be careful on the roads guys. The odd blurt every now and then is ok, but dont do anything stupid when u know u shouldnt. Sorry for the long rant but i had to get this off my chest.

Thanx guys

yeah the roads are indeed dangerous. driving down with the white water rafting people in new zealand, i asked whether it were dangerous at all and he told me it was the drive to the start of the river which was the most hazardous part of the whole thing :)

Now that I've grown up my policy is to assume that every **** on the road is trying to hit me. Works wonders.

This is how you do it:

Whenever there is a bit of road you can't see; like over a crest, down a side street, round a bend, WHATEVER; slow down and prepare to brake hard. Assume you are invisible because to some people you are.

I usually get 220 to 260 kms to a tank of fuel (sometimes as low as 180:D) and this works for me. I feel confident that it's not just luck that no one has hit me.

I've had two accidents years ago and if I had employed this theory then one of them wouldn't have happened. The other one was a fifty fifty combo of my stupidity and some other people's negligence.

Look after yourselves peoples because no one else will.

i agree... you can never be too carefull...and there is no such think as too much space inbetween you and the car infront...

i recently ran into the back of some dick because he decided to stop in the middle of burwood hwy.

Just dont drive like a Di(k and you should be allright.

James.

So he swerved to avoid a 4wd?

i bet you didnt get the number plate of the 4wd, nor did the driver stop?

yeah he had to swerve as the 4wd came over the crest and was in the middle of the road and it was a 2 lane road. And no the driver didnt stop apparently and they didnt get the number plate.

Last nite i was stuck in traffic in hoddle st and had a 4wd behind me and the traffic moves bit by bit and i heard this screech behind me and saw the 4wd stop barely an inch from the back of my car. because of that guys lack of concentration in traffic, i almost lost the back end of my car. My heart was hammering.

Guest INASNT
yes thats right folks drive safely, because there are a lot of dickheads on the road....the other day I almost slammed into someone trying to do a u turn on dandenong road...and I wasnt even speeding

LOL image seing this guy driving towards you on Saturday the 3rd of April 2004.

:)

These cars arne't fragile. Its ppl thinking they're invincible in a performance vehicle then they hit something and are suprised what happens to metal travelling at speed hitting a (hard) stationary object.

I myself have had an accident in my Skyline, and while it wasnt written off (luckily) it really made me appreciate how fragile these cars can be, and how expensive it is to repair them (and how hard it is to get parts, esp for a ser 2!)

Thanx guys

I tend to disagree, crumple zones although they save lives have made a lot of newer cars quite fragile. And now that the majority of the exterior of the car is plastic it is even more so. But yeah, people dont realize how much damage can actualy be done at 50km/h

I tend to disagree, crumple zones although they save lives have made a lot of newer cars quite fragile. And now that the majority of the exterior of the car is plastic it is even more so. But yeah, people dont realize how much damage can actualy be done at 50km/h

This is true. i wasnt speeding, i was doing the limit and a split second lapse in concentration is all it took. the bmw i hit had less damage than me and still managed to cost like 10 grand to repair

the front of your car is designed to crumple as is the front of the BMW.

Rear-ending something is quite different. (If thats what you did?)

This is true. i wasnt speeding, i was doing the limit and a split second lapse in concentration is all it took. the bmw i hit had less damage than me and still managed to cost like 10 grand to repair

Guest INASNT

Damn thats a nasty accident!!

U gotta wonder how the crumple zone will actually work with all these aftermarket front bars people have on their cars these days, especially the fibreglass ones coz they break very easily.