SAU Community

Water To Air Intercooler

ARTZ

With a decent rad set-up, it'll take ages to get hot. It's not a backwards step for a street car at all.

End of the day water cools better than air anyway. So on a 30 degree day, even if the water temp is 40 degrees it'll do a better job.

You show some data and i'll take my words back, but water will always cool MASSIVELY better than air. Get a decent size rad, decent sized core

Quite a few manu's from the factory use W2A, I'd take a guess mainly @ space saving vs performance given it would cost more, but hey, the Veyron uses it - can't be to shit! :)

The only disadvantages are weight, more complex installation and the cost. It wouldn't be simple and you would need to use decent parts & fittings for reliability where a A2A doesn't matter.

You'd also need to workout what motor & how much flow, vs the cooling etc.

Water cools better and has more heat capacity, need more heat capacity? add more water, or add more cooling.

If appropriately chosen gear is used it can work fantastically in any scenario, the main issue is the appropriate gear for the engine/turbo combination can often weigh so much it is not worth while, eg a track car.

For a street car if you don't mind adding 100kg of water I can imagine it cooling any system you can dream up, even with a undersized radiator it would take a long time to get heat soaked.

Edited by Rolls

W2A is a good option for a whole lot of reasons but you still need a decent radiator, thermo fan, good quality water pump and a good core.

I have installed a W2A system on a turbo diesel patrol and it is miles ahead of the pissy little A2A system in almost every way except complexity. And it is not that cheap by the time you buy decent silicon joiners for the air side and a good pump and radiator for the wet side (recommend a Bosch Cobra pump)and custom fab everything. Whatever you do don't let any of the eBay style merchants convince you that a little oil cooler sized radiator will work efficiently (unless you have a huge storage thank somewhere for additional water to act as a bigger soak).

Looked into a similar setup on a GTR and it just didn't stack up over A2A.