SAU Community

Relative Maintenance Level Of The Stagea

tomo88

Hi All,

I'm Tom, 23 and just graduated and started full time work so looking to get myself a little present.

Just got back from camping with a few mates that are into Aussie Muscle and long story short one brought up import monster. I had a look through and saw some things I liked then remembered a mate from high school had a Stagea which I never got a chance to see or ride in but had kept my eyes out for them on the road since he mentioned it.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself a car guy; I do a lot of outdoor stuff like cycling, snowboarding etc so the wagon space is great... and it would be nice to get from 0-100 in less than 20 seconds ala my 2002 1.5L Honda Jazz VTI-S (which in its own right is a great car for commuting and still being able to lug a lot of stuff around).

After looking on import monster I thought I'd see if carsales had em which they do and given the costs and hassle of importing it just works out better to buy one off someone locally.

I'm capable of doing my own minor servicing like fluid changes, brake pad checks etc. and having looked through the stickies of this subforum there are a lot of DIY guides on how to do some of the bigger stuff. I'm more than cluey enough to follow instructions to be able to do those things so that's not really a problem.

The great thing about the jazz is that I could just drive and forget. I've had it for a couple years and have performed a minor after 10k km with me and my old man and a second minor is due soon.

What I'd like to know is that obviously there are a few more moving parts than a Honda Jazz here, but if I'm competent enough to do minor services and follow instructions, is this a good choice for me or am I best to steer clear? I have the willingness to learn and definitely want to be able to DIY so will take the time and effort to learn, however if its the type of vehicle which requires specialized knowledge and experience then I may be best to steer clear.

Also, I was very surprised at how many of these were selling on carsales with less than 100k km on the clock within my price range ($8k-$12k - looking to sell the jazz and put in a couple more $k max). Are these genuine readings and would it perhaps be better to buy one within the 120-150k km range that has already done some of the major things like timing belts etc then only requiring me to do the minors for hopefully a few ten thousand km's more, leaving me with a few years of worry free driving.

On the sticky there was a link to Australia Stagea Parts Dealers however the link was expired, this is also a big concern for me having access to the parts. My understanding is that its the same engine as the R33 GTS25t so I'm guessing that there are a lot of 3rd party options out there, given how common the skylines are in Aus?

I understand that the running costs are going to be more significant than the Jazz both in parts and especially in fuel (goodbye 5.5L/100km) but am very interested in getting one and learning as I go, however if I'm way over my head I'd like to know as well!

Cheers guys

I would say that i am about the same level as you as to how much i can do myself and i have found my series 2 C34 quite easy to work on, i did give it to a shop to replace the clutch mostly because of space and tool issues though. as you said the engines and gearboxes are skyline spec, but it's a bit hit and miss with other stuff such as suspension. ie some parts are from r33gtr, some r33gtt etc. i do all of my own servicing though and is easy, i haven't had any problems with mine except the clutch wearing out because of too many hard launches on my part. in all i would say if you like the outdoors stuff and don't mind the odd dirty look, or person waiting by ur car in carparks to find out what it is i would say go for it there is plenty of great stock and mildly modified examples out there. The best piece of advice i can give is make a list of options that you want it to have and wait until you find one with all of them, as they can be slow to move on due to not being that well known by wagon lovers, and shunned a bit by the sports car scene. I guess what i'm trying to say is it's a small market if you decide to sell to get a better spec'd example down the track so make sure you get what you want from the start.

Do it:)

Most are around the 6-7 0-100 so yes much faster

Don't look at ks they're most likely wrong, look at the car, wear on the seats steering wheel door seals key pedals etc

Parts are easy to get, and the RB is a great engine. Keep regular servicing and fluids topped up and you'll be right

Don't look at ks they're most likely wrong, look at the car, wear on the seats steering wheel door seals key pedals etc

I disagree with the statement 'mostly likely wrong'.

You do need to go in with your eyes open as some odo's are tampered with but that's when the overall condition of the car comes into play. Definitely look at buying one from SAU members with mods already done it saves a lot of money and time.

I've got a later model, but I find between the forums and basic common sense its not a hard car to work on. Oil change should be no harder than your Jazz, that's for sure!

For mine, most basic parts are the same part number as something locally delivered, so it's not too hard to get the essentials. In terms of bigger stuff, panels etc, you can always import them if you can't get it locally.

Never imported through Import Monster, but Jesse Streeter is very easy to deal with and very helpful. I've bought a few bits through him, but all smaller stuff.

I'm a terrible mechanic but I've found I'm slowly getting better working on the Stag, and have done most myself. I am lucky that I have a mechanic father that I can use for backup, if I get into trouble, and a hoist etc, but this is all 'nice to have' rather than necessary.

Do it. Buy it. You'll love it!

Mine has only ever gone to a "proper" mechanic for the gearbox servicing because you don't want to mess that stuff up. But my husband works on mine (I wish I could say I did it myself but I'm not much chop at that stuff) and he's changed the coil overs, suspension parts, serviced it etc with no problems and he's a web developer, not a mechanic :laugh:

As everyone else has said, the parts are fairly easy to get and not too expensive and the RB is a great engine. I love my car.

Buy it - you won't be disappointed :)

Thanks guys, decisions made definitely gonna look into getting one. I'm heading off to tassie in a couple days for work and won't be back in Vic for a couple months so I'll start looking then. Appreciate all the feedback about everyone's experiences. That's a good idea to make up a list of the extras I want and try get that first thing even if it means holding out rather than selling again for another. I will want one as stock as possible, not minding a few cosmetic mods (definitely gonna get it rolling on 18"+), and leather seats and the dual sunroofs (not sure if that was option or stock).

So in terms of looking at models selling with 150k-200k km's on the clock, is it still worth looking at them as long as there's been the major things done to them? Or at this milage will the major work required significantly increase?

Cheers again guys, funny about how you'll get the wierd looks and people waiting by your car to ask what it is - I was about to do the same thing yesterday! I was meeting a mate for coffee and I pulled up behind a Stag turning into the shopping centre and I thought oh sweet I'll see if I can park close and ask him how it is. He had those My Family stickers on it but I thought maybe he was just taking the piss. Anyway, he parks and I find something close by and then I see him get out.... then his wife and kid. Not saying there's nothing wrong with that, I was just taken a back. I think people that don't know the car are surprised to see a young guy driving one of them, whereas I expect the driver to like his cars, be a bit younger but was taken aback when I saw a family come out the boot!

I've worked on lots of cars over the years, doing everything from engine swaps to clutches and lots of general maintenance.

I found my old 33 and the Stag to be amongst the easiest. About the only thing which really sucks is getting to the coilpacks and plugs (but once you do it twice you have learn the few tricks so number three is easy). Everything else is simple. I did a clutch in the 33 with the use of a hoist in about an hour. That's going in blind, ie. having never done a clutch on an RB before.

I had a lot of the rear right suspension out when doing the wheel bearing (which I couldn't get off so had to take it to a shop :() and that was all easy to get out and back in. But even then I got charged for an hour to do the wheel bearing which is not much (although the bearing itself was $333 >_<).

They are certainly not noteworthy for being bad.

As for having a wagon, my first car was a wagon (in 96) and the Stag I have now is the only one since. Damn I love having the room to just flip the back, chuck in whatever I want and go. When I go riding there's no removing wheels or seats. It's simply open, insert, go. I love it.

Get one. You won't regret it, especially if you can find a good RS4S!

Oh, I wouldn't be afraid of 150,000ks either, so long as you are confident it's been looked after. There's no reason it won't go well beyond 250,000ks with little to no problems.

I've got my head around them now so if you need a hand looking at anything, let me know and I'll see if I can help out.

Edited by Cowboy1600

Sounds awesome, good to know the engine will still have plenty of life as long as its been taken care of. Really appreciate the offer cowboy, might send you some links to ones I find on carsales when I start looking in Feb and see what you reckon. I've had a quick squizz on the trading post forums here for some but have only found one. Not real keen on the silver/grey but if its a model example of immaculate care for the price then I'd consider it.

There's also some NM35's online, but I think that'll be stretching the budget, range from 15+ from what I've seen, if you aren't strict with your budget you see something nice and think "oh, whats a couple more $k" that couple becomes 5, becomes 10... haha can't let that happen.

Thanks for all the support, good to know there's a friendly community for the car so even if there are a few complicated mechanical jobs, there's someone whose probably been there. Anyone looking to buy a 2002 White Honda Jazz VTI-S? It's rolling on 16" White rims :D

EDIT: speaking of the NM35's/M35's (are they the same thing?) the one's I see on carsales are the 250t RX models which is a different engine to the S1 and S2 models, in keeping with the theme of the thread, relative to the older Stags and given the new 'technologies' that the new engine implements, is self maintenance significantly more difficult?

Edited by tomo88

To answer your M35 question, the S1 and S2 models you're looking at are both C34s. NM35 is the series 1 4WD version of the M35. PM35 is the 2WD version of series 2, and PNM35 is the 4WD version of series 2.

The main differences from a practical standpoint are a longer wheelbase, so more room for your rear passengers, and the VQ25DET (in the NM35s) instead of the RB25DET.

Mods seem to be easier on the C34s, but the M35s aren't significantly more difficult at all. Not much room in the engine bay, but normal maintenance is just as easy (until you go to pull the turbo out, but then I think Scotty's got that down to an hour or two now?).

I bought the M35, as it had a much newer, and IMHO nicer interior, and the extra cabin space. Before I started looking I was going to get a C34.

Before you make your mind up talk to a few people about importing your own, see what the comparative pricing is. I've seen clean M35s for ~$14k, and I've heard of people importing them and with all the costs end up paying closer to ~$12k. Depends on how fussy you are, what features you want and how long you can wait.

Import your own nm35 or pm35 you will not regret it. I paid little over 7k Nz for mine and dealt direct with japan which saved me about 40% compared with local dealers. Mine's an nm35 Late 2002 model 250t RS four v hicas with a genuine 93kms,full service history from Nissan, few small dents on the body which i knew about before i bid but otherwise is in awesome condition. I'm not sure what the import costs are for aus compared with nz but check out pacific coast auto imports website, Derek who runs it is the man (and no I don't work for him I'm just a happy customer of his) They range from 150,000-300,000 yen Plus fees of about 150,000-200,000 yen to get it ready to leave japan. shipping to my door was 1500nzd and the boat stopped in aus on the way so will be less for you. The only other costs were import tax and compliance which will differ for you.

Import your own nm35 or pm35 you will not regret it. I paid little over 7k Nz for mine

BZZZZZ.....next.

Dude, Au and NZ are two very, very different places. You do not have a local car manufacturing industry, ergo it's dirt cheap to import cars. We have lots of little disincentives to importing in the form of $$$ sinks which are designed to encourage you to buy locally instead.

Yes, importing yourself is/can be cheaper, but it can also be a total headfvuk and take an eternity.

I also think he's more int he market for a C34 (although this could be purely budget related).

In Australia, there's no way his budget will extend to a PM35.

It sounds like options are a C34 currently in Aus or importing an NM35.

Both are decent options, depending on what deal he can find at the time and how long it'll take to arrive.

I bought (i think) the cheapest C34 in Aus... paid $4500 for it. It's a bit rough on the outside but interior is beautiful black leather in fantastic condition. Suspension was stuffed so I bought these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110603464887 Installed the fronts last week & she handles very nice. Had a few electrical issues but as I'm well knowledgeable in this area it was sorted quick smart. Next month she'll get a full respray & will look fantastic with new 18's (look like new GTR's).

I use it mostly for work so I like that it's auto as I drive many K's each week. Everyone loves the look of it, young, old, people with Astons & people with Holdens alike.

I have no kids, a good paying job & no debt which leaves me buying lots of stuff for her. I'm really happy with the choice I made but keep in mind they are heavy & economy is good if you baby it but boost is evil & the torque is so nice to play with causing hellish MPG :P

Hope this helps.

Cheers again for all the responses, yea I'd like to stick to the budget otherwise it'll just get blown out of scale haha

I'm surprised that it may be comparitive to import an NM35 compared to buying online, i'll definitely look into it if I can find out for a good price otherwise I'll stick to the C34s locally. As it was mentioned and I could imagine it would be a headfk to deal with importing. I guess with those importers like import monster would make it easier but ill look into it. I'd like to stick to local as that way you can truly check the condition of the vehicles especially things like rust under the side mirrors which is what i read was a common problem.

haha and yea already come to accept the fact that its not gonna be a handa jazz on the fuel efficiency, something that comes with the territory

C34 maintenance is relatively simple and if you are not afraid of some DIY, the major 100,000 Kms servicing of timing belt change, tensioner, idler, water pump, plugs, oils/lubricants, filters oil/fuel/air/cabin, etc will be relatively easy (there are guides on this forum for all these).

There is also an engine service manual that can downloaded (in English) for the both the series 1&2 Stageas (r33 and r34 engines respectively). These also have details of maintenance intervals, specs, and procedures.

There is also Nissan FAST which is proprietary software that dealers use- you will be able to look up part numbers, see which part numbers are common to other models, decoding your VIN/ options etc. I am somebody will be able to hook you up with this also.

From my experience the RB engines are very reliable if serviced regularly, RB30 engines in skylines and VL commodores are known to last well into the 400-600 thousand Km range, before rebuild. I don't see a reason why the RB25DET cannot match or better this lifespan, assuming the engine is looked after well.

The most important thing in my eyes is regular oil changes with quality oil.

I would be looking locally either for a C34 or M35, but if you after something a little more special like I was, look at importing- despite what people may say, it can be very straight forward with the right import broker. I can recommend Jspec Imports from personal experience but somebody like Iron Chef Imports or Prestige Motorsport will probably be fine.

With the depressed auction prices in Japan for these cars, even with the Shitty exchange rate, it makes for some pretty good buying.

I hope this answers some of your questions, there is plenty of help at hand here on these forums for what ever question you have.

Thanks guys, decisions made definitely gonna look into getting one. I'm heading off to tassie in a couple days for work and won't be back in Vic for a couple months so I'll start looking then. Appreciate all the feedback about everyone's experiences. That's a good idea to make up a list of the extras I want and try get that first thing even if it means holding out rather than selling again for another. I will want one as stock as possible, not minding a few cosmetic mods (definitely gonna get it rolling on 18"+), and leather seats and the dual sunroofs (not sure if that was option or stock).

So in terms of looking at models selling with 150k-200k km's on the clock, is it still worth looking at them as long as there's been the major things done to them? Or at this milage will the major work required significantly increase?

Cheers again guys, funny about how you'll get the wierd looks and people waiting by your car to ask what it is - I was about to do the same thing yesterday! I was meeting a mate for coffee and I pulled up behind a Stag turning into the shopping centre and I thought oh sweet I'll see if I can park close and ask him how it is. He had those My Family stickers on it but I thought maybe he was just taking the piss. Anyway, he parks and I find something close by and then I see him get out.... then his wife and kid. Not saying there's nothing wrong with that, I was just taken a back. I think people that don't know the car are surprised to see a young guy driving one of them, whereas I expect the driver to like his cars, be a bit younger but was taken aback when I saw a family come out the boot!

C34 Leather seats, sunroofs are definately options, you can get either or both, except getting both is a bit rare and probably looking at the "Prime Edition" model, which also has woodgrain "look" centre dash highlight and steering wheel. You can find these heavily optioned cars here locally but may not be in the external colour you want (note that white and silver are the easiest colours to get with these options).

And by the way, you can get 4WD and 2WD versions as well, "RS4" is 4WD and "RS" badging is 2WD. This applies to Autos. "RS4S" is the manual version. Most of the ones imported are RS4 so 4WD.

If you want a little extra efficiency and more 'modifiable' factory turbo, go with the Series 2 with the R34 NEO engine. The factory turbo is larger than the Series 1 (R33 turbo) and flows more if you want to hiflow it later.

BTW I have those "My Family" stickers on mine, and have a family and am a bit older than most on this forum as well. Us older guys are allowed to have familes and some Turbo fun too!

BTW I have those "My Family" stickers on mine, and have a family and am a bit older than most on this forum as well. Us older guys are allowed to have familes and some Turbo fun too!

hahah nothing wrong with that at all mate! I was just expecting these cars to be driven by younger people as a majority but I guess that's what's great about them - suits anyone.

Cheers for the importer recommendations as well. After looking at just Import Monster it seemed to be cheaper to buy local but i'll scout prices through all the ones you mentioned. Also being local at least you can get a true idea of the condition the vehicle is in but if people have had positive experiences with true to description imports then I'll be fine with that

hahah nothing wrong with that at all mate! I was just expecting these cars to be driven by younger people as a majority but I guess that's what's great about them - suits anyone.

Cheers for the importer recommendations as well. After looking at just Import Monster it seemed to be cheaper to buy local but i'll scout prices through all the ones you mentioned. Also being local at least you can get a true idea of the condition the vehicle is in but if people have had positive experiences with true to description imports then I'll be fine with that

Yes, import monster would be OK too, I've bought things from Arron before.

BTW all importers will get the car from similar sources local Japanese auction, dealers etc, so price will be similar which ever importer you choose, if you decide to go that way.