SAU Community

Hid's Too Bright! Help

suwidji

I just installed H1 8000K xenon headlights (lo-beams) and tested them out tonight. I didn't receive anyone flashing me or anything but when i walked out of the car and stood a few metres infront of it, i couldn't even see my car and was just blinded! When i'm driving down the motorways, all the signs light up from AGES away and it looks like i have high-beams on constantly.

Could anyone please help me out and let me know if it's normal, or how to adjust the intensity so it's a lot more... "mild" ??

I have a feeling that if i drive it around for a longer period of time, i'll get flashed, beeped at and maybe even pulled over by the cops cos it's too bright :\

Thanks!

You should have a little knob/switch with about 3 settings on the right hand side of the steering wheel near the bonnet release leaver, this dips/raises the lights.

That said, 8000k is very bright and dipping them probably wont help all that much, i believe 4700k or so is optimal for the best driver vision and minimal distraction to other drivers.

uhh ok. yeh didn't do much lol, maybe i'll change to a lower temp one. is the 4700k a white light or standrard yellow/orange? I only got the 8000k ones cos it's a white light :\

Wrong!

4700k are brighter than 8000k HIDs. Also you will find that 8000k have poor penetration in bad weather conditions.

The lower the Kelvin rating the high the Lumen (brightness) is.

Just lower the beam of your light enough so you dont get "as" blinded.

Wrong!

4700k are brighter than 8000k HIDs. Also you will find that 8000k have poor penetration in bad weather conditions.

The lower the Kelvin rating the high the Lumen (brightness) is.

Just lower the beam of your light enough so you dont get "as" blinded.

I was under the impression that the lower the K rating the less (glarey?) it would be for oncoming traffic? Lower K rating also means a more yellow/orange light and higher rating means a more Blue light? Although a more yellow light will penetrate better than the bluer type.

Am i close?

3000k Yellow

4500k White with yellow hue

5000k Pure White

6000k White with blue/purple hue

8000k White with distinct blue hue

10000k Strong blue light

Above that, you are getting into UV/black light territory.

For a street car anything above 6000k is pointless, 4500-5000k has the best light output vs penetration.

For a street car anything above 6000k is pointless, 4500-5000k has the best light output vs penetration.

This is what i was getting at :D

BTW do you still sell kits/globes?

mine are similar, catches every piece of reflective tape/signage.

good to see the back of cop cars from far away.

and mine arnt set too high.

have travelled behind mates who havnt complaid, and when asked said it was ok.

Remove old bulbs, fit in new ones, wire in ballast.

hid-chart.jpg

10000k look really nice, crisp blue. Ive seen them in real, they look awesome but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that colour in the rain, hence why I run 4700 which is perfect.

It is my impression when I was researching them for my tow car & replacements for the KHR30, 4700k was Daylight, 6000k was Super White and anything past that was blue - purple the higher up the Kelvin scale you go and Kelvin is a temperature measure ONLY, nothing to do with brightness of a particular globe rating.

I have genuine Philips 6000K HID in my Jackaroo and cruising at night, Sydney ~ Melbourne & Sydney ~ Gold Coast they are without a doubt genuine 100kph plus lights on low beam and the high beam isn't much advantage over low. Better and more light with a good set of driving lights with good quality globes.

My advice is not buy sh!t ebay ex China/Hong Kong brands for $50 odd dollars. Their wiring kits & ballasts are sub standard and will often catch fire when your least expecting it & loosing the car is a very high possibility.

If they are blinding, lower the beam slightly until you find your not looking straight into the beam, irrespective of your globe choice, but adjusting to NSW RTA specs is absurd. A guide for me is when you're following another car about 20-30m behind and if your low beam isn't above the boot line, or bottom of rear windscreen they are adjusted properly enough to not distract.

JMHO

my lights in the 34 are idjustable :) took my Fn ariund to wire em in but they work a treat :thumbsup: i brought both my hid kits of ebay but yer you get wat you pay for my kits i didnt get any change from 160 '.' but they pay for them self being about to spot things along the road and police cars hi vis stand out like a DD boobies :rolleyes:

A lot of new cars these days come out with 6000k HID standard. Im pretty sure thats the legal limit aswell anything above that is illegal for low beam anyway and at own risk. I put 8000k in my 32 for LB, im not to concerned about the visibility issue as much, they work a treat and light up signs and centre line mint. I just hope i dont get caught pretty much.

They were pointing a little high like suwidji said, but i just adjusted the bulbs down and now they dont flash on coming cars. There is typically 2 or 3 screws in the headlight cases behing the headlight you tweak to adjust the bulb direction. Have a play around, its an easy fix.

From what ive read, Nytsky is right, 4500 to 5000k is the best viewing performance range. I think higher like 6000k 8000k you see signs etc better.