SAU Community

L24E Heads E88 Vs N47

432-r

Hello all,

I have a question around L24E heads which i was hoping you guys could help with.

Does anyone know the differences between these two heads?

Build a L6 and was thinking of using either a L24E E88 or L24E N47. Were these sold at the same time or one after the other?

I guess i will go for the better of the two or whichever giives me the higher static CR i will go for (standard). Its a non turbo application.

any help appreciated,

Peter

here is some reading for you

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/62691-l6-heads-pics-and-descriptions/

one thing to keep a eye on is that a N47 in the US is a open chamber design, except the ones that came in the maxima, so when you see a reference to MN47, it's the same head the MR30 skylines has ( N47 in Oz )

Nigel

^ didn't know this.

I hope OP doesnt mind.

Without any porting, what head flows better:

E30 from C210 Skyline australia

or

N47 from R30 Skyline Australia

Cause i have a N47 available at home.

I also have a O5L from my C210 L20ET but it's way too much money to get it ported enough to be useful.

When i do the head gasket on my sedan i'd rather change to a better flowing head if the N47 is better flowing.

Edited by Socrates

Im pretty certain the N47 will flow better than the E30

One interesting thing too is the N47 has a small section of steel 'pipe' on each exhaust port, with a gap around it, as it heats up red hot from the exh gas, it glows red. This burns off unused fuel in the exhaust. It also creates a little more heat for a turbo if thats your thing too (most of this info is from hybridz forum in teh USA)

Another factor to take into is what block and capacity are you going to use?? It may need notching for the valves to cleat the top of the bores...

I'll be using my Standard C210 L24 block it came with in 1978.

Will it need notching??

The L24e is notched for the N47 head, I did not notice this when I put the N47 heads on my ( e30 ?) L24 block,

after a minute the valves 'self cleared'

but if you have it apart, I would suggest you do it.

Nigel