SAU Community

Massive Effect 3

Yo-Yo

a agree, i played the first dragon age so many times, then the second one came along and was aimed too much at console gamers. No replayable value at all, much like ME3. I started a new character this morning, but its so hard to get into when you know everything goes to shit anyway.

i've already joined that FB group and have been looking into the ending more. im convinced that the end is some sort of hallucination from (spoiler) blood loss from being pwned by harbringer (who didnt speak at all, wtf. he was such an enemy in ME2 then he just drops in and blasts you), or reaper indoctrination. it just doesnt make sense how the catylyst is all "oh by the way, i control the reapers and they're doing the right thing goodbye". and for shepard, as a character, to just accept the end with no objections or anything goes against the entire message of the franchise. also in the "least terrible ending" where you see shepard take a breathe, he's not in a bunch of space like debris and wires like he should be after the citadel blows up around him, he's in a pile of rubble (which uncannily resembles the state of london before he went through the conduit).(spoiler)

you should have a flick through the mass effect section of reddit .

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/

theres some really good and thoughtout input, not like the bioware forums where its just people bitching.

i'd highly reccomend this topic

http://www.reddit.co...e_16_endings_i/

where the guy thinks that the ending was unfinished and was slapped together due to deadlines from EA.

I completely agree.

I never thought I would say this but I really hope this ending is just some massive cash grab by EA to make people buy the DLC to find out what really happend.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^let me know what you think of the ending. im still shocked

Done.

Picked synthesis first. Wasn't shocked, I was disappointed, then confused.

Then I reloaded and went through the other 2.

Disappointment stayed.

It really does feel rough, and unfinished. Felt like I got railroaded more than a little bit too. There was an article earlier which described the ending like a movie that was great up until the last 5 minutes.

Plan was to finish it, and like the last 2, jump right back in for a second serving, but finishing it has left a sour taste in my mouth...

And why in the name of Zues' butthole was the Normandy running away from the battle of all battles? I didn't know I had a crew full of pussies.

i know what you mean. this was one of those games i was suppose to play over and over again with different characters & classes. i've really got no motivation what so ever to play it again until they bring out the inevitable dlc.

one of the game dev's posted on twitter something along the lines of "if you knew what we had in store for you, you'd keep your mass effect 3's forever".

That just means they've got a whole bunch of DLC lined up that we have to pay for for a satisfying ending.

i dont understand what they were thinking, if this isnt the actual "ending" and they were planning on bringing out dlc all along, who thought that putting a game on sale, and not having the ending in said game was a good idea?

and as you said, the crew we've known for the past 5 years wouldnt run away. nor would our Shepard just accept what that gimp hologram kid said without any objection or defiance. I'm convinced that bioware (who are not to blame for this) didn't finish the ending and were forced by EA to meet a deadline as it had already been delayed once.

EA should change their moto to:

EA, it's in the Game DLC

didnt read any of these few pages in fear of spoilers. how many hours of gameplay to the end approx?

If you do all the side quests somewhere between 35-40 hours gameplay total. A bit longer than both ME1 and 2.

didnt read any of these few pages in fear of spoilers. how many hours of gameplay to the end approx?

What franga said. I bombed through the main missions on my first play through in 16h01m

I think it comes down to the class you pick as well, looking at some of my ME2 saves my Vangaurd and Soilder, aggressive frontline classes, playtime is considerably less than my Adept one where I was hanging out at the back providing support for the team.

cpd - I saw a bunch I those at ebgames, the model of the Normandy was pritty cool but expensive.

^^^makes sense. as a soldier you just tank through the battle field, or at least i do.

the funniest ME3 meme i've seen (spoiler alert: dont click if you havnt finished the game or dont know of the ending)

The end of Mass Effect 3, as explained by Xzibit

Too true Xzibit, too true.

Below is a post from Reddit with a theory about the ending I will make the post in white so those who dont want to read dont have to and those that do can just highlight it.

Spoiler Alert. if you haven't finished the game please stop reading.

In light of recent controversy concerning Mass Effect 3's ending I believe people may have overlooked something that I found quite mind blowing.

First I want to present this image that was posted by firexcracker. I also want to bring to your attention the the

. Then I'd like for you to recap this moment in the game. Finally, I want to direct you to the definition of the world crucible. cru·ci·ble: A severe test, as of patience or belief; a trial.

Now there is a lot of deeper meaning built into this. The N7 ending where you can see Shepard waking up is only seen if you select the destroy all synthetic life option, thus ending the reapers. It is interesting to see how all of this held a deeper meaning and how the game pretty much mind f**ked you (indoctrinated you) into choosing the good (save the synthetics) or the neutral options. I can't speak for the ones who chose to destroy the synthetics because you passed the test but it may still be interesting for you to find out why even if you did pick to destroy the synthetics.

In Shepard's last dream you see a sort of underlying message where Shepard and the child embrace, saying "you shouldn't listen to the child because if you do, you will burn." The child at the end was reaper's defense system and the ending was a test whether you've been indoctrinated as a player by invoking your conscious into thinking and caring about other synthetic life. If you did, as you had planned to do as you first set off, which is to destroy the reapers (and tell the child to f**k off), you've won over the indoctrination and thus you end up alive and breathing. If you didn't well... you die for certain.

I just wanted to share this. I think the ending was trying to be profound but the execution was pretty poor hence, all the hate going around. Hopefully, I can add something exciting and positive to the ME3 ending.

TL;DR: The game tried to indoctrinate you as a player.

EDIT: I think there is a seemingly large disconnect between the audience and BioWare's artistic point of view. So, I want to address some issues.

The ending sucked. There were no choices given. Mass Effect is all about choices.

The fact that there were no choices at the ending was because the ending was something that was fabricated by the reapers. Hence, the lack of choice essentially. Infact, the Reapers go through the effort of colouring the choice that saves them as Paragon and the one that destroys them as Renegade.

Those people were with you on earth, some of them were running together with you towards the beam, they could not possibly have gotten on the Normandy AND reached the relay.

Remember, everything between the lazer beam hitting Shepard and you waking up in the end is fake. Do you really think BioWare will end something with a pad full of text saying "Shepard is now a hero"? It is a fake conclusion.

But a Paragon Shepard would never sacrifice and entire race and chose the Renegade option. A paragon Shepard would never sacrifice his ideals

This is a fantastic example of the Reaper indoctrination working on you as a Paragon player. The Reapers use this to their advantage. You have to understand that it is not the game that painted the Red and Blue colours on the choices, the Reapers did. If you had not gone into the mission with a clear head and a clear goal to destroy the reapers, nothing less and nothing more, you'd have overcome this indoctrination attempt. Imagine if those choices were not coloured or even better yet, the colours were reversed.

Rumour has it there is DLC coming out with the title "The Truth", i'm not sure if its just fans getting themself into a tiz or if Bioware is just epic trolling. But I suppose we'll find out in the coming weeks.

Rumour has it there is DLC coming out with the title "The Truth", i'm not sure if its just fans getting themself into a tiz or if Bioware is just epic trolling. But I suppose we'll find out in the coming weeks.

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

I smell a rat...

Finished the game at 6pm this eve, and am still ropeable. I'll post what I posted on the Bioware Forums it does contain what most would consider as spoilers...

SPOILERS FOLLOW...

So I just finished the game, after a week of steering clear of these here forums. I had no idea what to expect, as I've been keeping myself under a rock. Upon finishing, I immediately headed to google to see what the rest of the world thought about it...

I first found an article by one Luis Prada that summed up my feelings to a tee - www.holytaco.com/why-all-the-endings-of-mass-effect-3-are-terrible-a-long-diatribe/

"With Mass Effect, Bioware created a near-masterpiece of a video game

series. Sadly, they botched the ending by booting the game's main

mechanic, the dialogue trees and abilities to choose, to the curb in the

final seconds in favor of a prepackaged nothing-you've-done-matters

ending, as if Bioware woke up one morning and yelled, "The game comes

out tomorrow?! Quickly! Someone write an ending!""

That then lead to a deviantart blog by Arkis that offered a pretty good solution to the problem - arkis.deviantart.com/art/Mass-Effect-3-Alternate-Endings-SPOILERS-289902125

It basically adds a 4th option into the game. One where all of your hard work culminates in a final conflict with the reapers, and the crucible is left unused. Doesn't specify whether it would be a happy or sad ending, but it would have loads more closure than the existing options present.

I think it's inexcusable, and nearly incomprehensible that Bioware created an ending that was easily trumped by a guy munching on cereal after only a nights' sleep to think about it.

I've been a great fan of the series since it's inception, and is something I've grown to be very passionate about. The game was, after a small amount of thought, the best game I've ever played. Birthed from one of the best lore universes ever created. ME3 evoked such strong emotions in me for a video game, through the development of relationships with this handful of brilliant characters. I was totally vulnerable at the very end of the game - putty in the writers hands. And the climax they delivered, the one I chose not 45 minutes ago, left me choked up and gutted.

Alas, hats of to them for some brilliant work, and I really mean that - so many smiles throughout the game. But in my industry, you're only as good as your last day...

Not sure if it's gonna be a cash-grab. Not sure if it's poor writing. Not sure if trolling or serious. I'm just not sure about anything other than I know I'm pissed off about the ending after spending 45 depressing hours on it. I wish I hadn't of bought TOR before finishing ME3... I might still be 70 bucks up...

SPOILERS/End Game Discussion Below. (Don't READ CPD!)

i'm convinced the end of ME3 wasn't actually the original ending. Someone on reddit (pretty sure i linked it in this thread earlier) (spoiler) saying that te textures in the last choose what colour you want your ending area on top of the citadel were off, and that if you turn around and walk to the edge, you get a hall of mirrors effect hinting at lack of play testing. He supposes that someone (*cough* EA *cough*) put a deadline on the release because ME3 had already been delayed once. I refuse to believe that this is the doing of Bioware. From the previous Mass Effect games and Dragon Age 1, it's just not how they roll.Either the ending was unfinished or an equally best bet is the indoctrination theory. That from the point on, from which Harbinger blasted you, is a halucination and didnt exist. It certaintly looks that way when you think about it. It was just poorly executed and not properly revealed. (spoiler)

Bioware say they're still taking player feedback and considering changing the ending. I just hope they're being sensibly selective on what feedback they take on board as there are alot of people around bitching and even attacking the game developers, and that's not what the "true" (for lack of a better term) Mass Effect fans want.

Forbes did some really good articles on ME3 and the controversy surrounding the ending, which is weird cause i didnt even know they HAD a video game section, but the author (david thier) is one of the few critics that aren't slamming us for being whiny, unappreciative douches.

http://www.forbes.co...were-listening/

http://www.forbes.co...or-video-games/

http://www.forbes.co...ffect-3-ending/

http://www.forbes.co...er-entitlement/

http://www.forbes.co...ible-consumers/

plenty of reading there for you if you're bored at work.

I think for a lot of people, the discussion of the ending has brought the attitude of a lot of the mainstream game review sites (ign and such) into question.

Edited by alex182

Spoilers below and in article

Mass Effect 3 row prompts change to add 'further closure'

Now I dont know about you guys but that reads like sorry we f**ked up and now we're going to try fix it because otherwise our rep is ruined and as a smaller dev thats all we really have.

Interesting little tidbit in the first 10 weeks (aka when most of the sales are going to happen) from release Dragon Age 1 it outsold Dragon Age 2 by a factor of two to one, just goes to show fans were already showing their distaste for the new regime at Bioware ages ago.