SAU Community

tyre width on rear...245 or 225 8" rim? front is 205!

hey guys im in the process of getting rear tyres at tha moment, i currntly have 225/50/16's on the rear and i have just put new potenza g3's 205/55/16's on the front (front rim is 7" wide)

my rear rim is 16x8" and i was thinking of going 245/45/16's rather then 225/50/16's i know they will fit just bulge slightly but my main concern is that there is a large discrepency between front and rear, what should i do, get 225's or 245's for the rear?

any pro's con's??? i have found a good 245/4516 tyre for the rear toyo proxes t1-s or falken grb fk451, 225's easy to find in any tyre!

thanks guys

no problem with different sizes front to rear except on a GTR

I have never encountered a problem with different size tyres front and rear on GTR's, or GTS4's for that matter. Width is obviously irrelevant, the ATTESA doesn't know how wide the tyres are. As for diameter, that's a furphy, otherwise you would have to buy 4 new tyres everytime, because the diameter is around 16 mm different (8 mm of tread depth) between a new tyre and a worn out one.

An example;

Say you use a 225/45ZR17 on the front which is 635 mm in diameter when new

While you use a 255/40ZR17 on the rear which is 640 mm in diameter when new

The 5 mm difference is way less than the tread depth, so it would be the same as running new tyres on the front and half worn ones on the rear.