SAU Community

Cross Country... Advice

NickM91

G'day,

I'm moving across to WA for a few months and have the option of driving across or having the car freighted. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on taking an M35 across the country.

Things such as breaking down in the middle of whoop whoop Australia would be a bit more of an issue than your average falcodore. Presumably the car is designed for Japan and its conditions, so are things like Dust, potentially average/unsealed roads and that sort of thing an issue with the M35?

Given that my car *touch wood* is in good working order and will probably have a service before hand should I really be concerned?

Just after some thoughts.

Cheers

Nick

I would drive one way just for the adventure and so you can say you did it. Between Adelaide and Perth would be the most concern, but you should be ok. I use my C34 for work and have been from Mt Gambler, Coopers Pedy, Port Lincoln, Ceduna and half way across the Nullabor (separate trips) from Adelaide no worries.

unless you are very unlucky and break down, there would be no issues. and how likely is it to break down on a gentle drive at 100klm/h for hours at a time?

I drove my old r33 gtst from sydney to alice springs about 10 years ago, and had it up there for about a year before bringing it home. Other than finding 98 octane there was absolutely no issues.

You can be sure nissan's engineers looked after the sealing, air con performance etc etc much better than the falcodores' ones did.

Yeah well my motivation for wanting to drive is just for the adventure, helps having some mates doing the same thing.

Would be a bit of fun, but being stuck in the middle of the country wouldn't exactly be an option with work :domokun:

I'd also advise some kind of paint protection - maybe some of that clear stuff for the front bar and bonnet?

I've got some pretty average stone chips after my last Adelaide-Melbourne trip.

ive done the drive several times (even in my old 78 mini) its a drive everyone should do. take about 3 days from adelaide and stop and do it properly. sitting on your dollar 10 or 15 you should have no problem. Dont drive at night unless you have to( you will miss a lot of scenery) put a spare jerry or two in the car if you have room or be prepared to pay $2 plus for fuel. take a couple of bottle of octane booster too.

If you do the drive it will be a memorable experience. If you prepare properly it will be an enjoyable one as well. The idea is to be self sufficient on the road. Like Matt says. Don't drive at night or with the sun in your eyes, (late arvo). I have done this trip across "The Paddock" a few years ago, once in the Stagea east - west, a couple of times in the PC both ways, the road is all sealed & good by most country oz standards. Keep well to the left & back off a few k's when traffic/trucks coming your way to avoid/minimise windsceen damage from stray pebbles flicked out of tyre treads on seemingly stone free sections of highway. Plan to get to where you want to be at the end of each day in good time. I would be taking (& did exactly this) plenty of water for radiator plus drinking, good basic tool kit, extra spare tyre if you can &/or tyre repair kit, (the sticky plug & glue type with plug tools ~ $50 from Auto-One), power steering fluid, your preferred engine oil, a metre or so of general purpose heater hose plus cable ties :yes: spare set of belts, plugs & hoses (top/bottom radiator) or fit new ones on pre-flight service which you must do before you go (keep old belts & hoses if serviceable) , preferably service in plenty of time to get unforseen problems rectified. There are roadhouses approximately every 200km's along the way, they are not all open 24 hours a day. You can check up on this before you set off. A CB two-way on channel 40 is a very handy addition to your kit on a trip like this. You will get tired of roadhouse cuisine but do take the time to pig out in Ceduna. :thumbsup: Long straight empty roads are tempting, don't go batsh*t. The biggest hazard is becoming complacent as the klicks unroll & shredded truck tyres which will stuff yours if you run over them. And the wildlife is to be avoided of course. Amen.

Cheers GW

Cheers for the advice guys.

Well decision day is coming closer I'll post if I decide to do it or not, it'll mainly be a factor of are any of my colleagues doing the same or not..

Cheers

Nick

Edited by NickM91

The first pic is on the far side, nearing Norseman. The second is at the Cliffs, round Nullabor Roadhouse somewhere, whale watching country. The distance is more like 1800kms but I wasn;t counting........probably more than that if you add it all up. Lots more for the whole journey. If that sign was bigger then you could add Wedgies, Emus, Donkeys, Brumbies, Camels & general roadkill. Don't be put off, just take your time is all. And a tyre pump of some description............forgot to mention it earlier. Don't drive at night.

Cheers, GW

post-34341-0-75057900-1335780233_thumb.jpg

post-34341-0-20611600-1335781006_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well Its time again... the trip in reverse is now in planning for a departure in 2-4 weeks

So far planning on camping across with a mate.

In terms of stuff to buy for the car so far my list includes:

• Oil
  • Radiator fluid/distilled water
  • Puncture kit & pump
  • Duct tape ;)
  • Tow strap (just in-case, convoying with mates)

Going to get the car serviced in the next week, hopefully pull out any issues with it.

Check spare tyre etc

Anyway another dilemma I have is I just received a FMIC and new radiator fan etc. Yet to be fitted, it was my intention to fit it next weekend, but I am now wondering if its such a great idea putting mods in with potentially only a week for any issues to crop up. Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

Cheers

This thread wasn't in vein though, it'll come in handy sometime next year when I drive back! :woot:

I wouldn't fit it because of the damage it may suffer behind the road trains.

I wold add a set of ancillary belts to your list, just in case, and all your basic tools.

Maybe an AFM ! :P

After what Craig told me about his coolant bleed valve failing on a trip and seeing how soft and brittle mine was when I changed it doing scotty's coolant mod, I would try and get a spare. I would hate it to fail in the middle of the desert