SAU Community

R34 Gtt To R32 Gtr Engine Conversion....help Appreciated

elir32

So unfortunately I recently had to say goodbye to my R34 gtt after itcleaned up 3 trees and lost the battle. It was a 4 door with the gtr front end conversion, with the standard engine making just over 300 rwk. I have since bought a new R34 gt auto and was about to transfer all of my engine/manual conversion/ etc etc etc over into the new shell along with a new gtr front end to replicate my old car, only better.

I was just speaking to a friend and he offered me his r32 gtr motor with power fc , loom and gearbox for a fairly nice price, and Im in two minds of what I want to do regarding the new 34. Im very tempted with the gtr motor as I know it has legit low kms and I know its history etc, but not so sure on how big a job it will be to install in to my r34. For instance Im assuming the wiring harness to ecu for dash looms etc will not work with tht r32 gtr power fc, i wil need to change the sump to convert from awd,and will my gearbox bolt straight up? will it be a lot of work and a headf**k to get the engine through regency, as i dont want to do it dodgy... will i hve to upgrade to r34 gtr brakes etc etc etc..... So basically I am after peoples advice and thoughts and experience on the matter and if someone knows what is involved etc

My rb25 neo i was going to put in was making 304 rwk fresh motor, low kms, upgraded injectors, turbo, coilpks,z32afm, fmic fuel pump etc etc,, so was also a very reliabel setup and with a reliable and safe tune, so i maybe be better off sticking with this...but the thought of a r34 4 door gtr with rb26 is also very tempting.....

if anyone has advice and thoughts on this id be very interested to know whats involved and risks/problems, etc......

thanks for ur help in advance,

......and on a side note if anyone needs r34 4 door parts il soon be stripping my wreck so pm if u need anything......

Eli, what you're contemplating is a hell of a lot of work, that will see you off the road for a very long time, that will not get you through Regency, and if none of that phases you and you still go ahead with it, the final product will still be a 34gtt that's worth buggar all

Regency doesn't have a list of what engine numbers correspond to what year, so you could possibly get away with it, as all RB26's have the same engine prefix followed by a unit number. Send in an application to modify, and they will tell you exactly what has to be done, and if it can be done, just write TBA where it says engine number, because that way they won't put anything to the rego of the car. So if you don't do it, it's no drama's.

There's a bit of a loop hole I found in the system to do with engine conversions when I did mine, but that's on a need to know basis :P

Regency doesn't have a list of what engine numbers correspond to what year, so you could possibly get away with it, as all RB26's have the same engine prefix followed by a unit number. Send in an application to modify, and they will tell you exactly what has to be done, and if it can be done, just write TBA where it says engine number, because that way they won't put anything to the rego of the car. So if you don't do it, it's no drama's.

There's a bit of a loop hole I found in the system to do with engine conversions when I did mine, but that's on a need to know basis :P

They'll still sight the number on the day and then cross reference, and by number it'll probably highlight to be from a 32

The bigger problem here is whether its an early/late R32 RB26 (ie does it have the long nose crank or not), otherwise you might be in for a nasty surprise if its an early one and it decides to let go

As you'd have to find a sump etc to convert to RWD, its prob easier to chuck in your turbo Neo motor and be done with it by the sounds

Sorry to hear about the car mate :(

What sort of condition are the plastics in on your old 4 door? The plastic surrounds on my front driverside and passenger side are sun faded so would like to freshen them up with a pair in really good condition.

Just keep the RB25, Can make 300-400kw's on a standard bottom end and they are way cheaper to replace if it goes bang.

Matty I'm pretty sure they dont cross reference, people run into dramas when they take an obviously older engine through (eg RB30 in a R32 onwards). Either way, I'm yet to meet a person who has personally been in the situation of not being able to register an older same-series motor.

But yeah stick with the 25 I reckon, purely for reliability.

RB26's are like s1uts, everyone loves them, and they're a fun ride, but there's usually nasty things that lay beneath the surface.

Thanks for the feedback- this is what i wanted to hear. Was swinging towards keepin the 25 and perhaps going further on that engine. Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the matter and especially regarding the legalities... Read an article on a Perth mob who had an awd 4door 34 in perth ad they did the rb26 conversion along with gtr panels etc etc, kinda got me thinking along the same lines...minus the awd part... Hahaha at dions last comment...

Pete is right it will be a hel of a job and drag out for ages, I'm not looking forward to swapping my current gear as it is... Big CBF factor right now :(

Brett when u say plastics can u be more specific- I have no idea what u r refering to- shoot me a pm.