SAU Community

R33 Not Running

Have just put the engine back into the car, it starts then instantly dies, when I unplug the afm, it starts and runs, soon as i plug the afm back in, it idles high for about 3 secs then dies.

Its a r33 with s2 engine. Have just installed the following:

-Gt35 turbo

-front facing plenum

-z32 afm

-555cc nismo injectors

-nistune (stock tune with z32 and 555cc injector changes)

-fmic

-040 pump

-timing belt, water pump, spark plugs (7 heat, 0.8mm gap)

Not sure what the problem could be, any ideas? What can I check? Thinking it could be a vac leak, may something to do with aac valve, dont know.

If you plug the AFM in, and the car dies... And you take it out and it idles...

Tried another AFM? Is the AFM throwing a fault code/sensor?

Might be a VAC leak but it'd have to be a rather large one. Sure you've sealed the plenum correctly?

I know when Dvs Jez was tuning my car with the nistune z32 ecu base map for r33's and just updated the afm and injector settings for 555's and z32 afm, it wouldn't really run. He had to fiddle with a few settings to get it to idle properly.

I know when Dvs Jez was tuning my car with the nistune z32 ecu base map for r33's and just updated the afm and injector settings for 555's and z32 afm, it wouldn't really run. He had to fiddle with a few settings to get it to idle properly.

Correct. Its not as simple as selecting the afm and injectors and drive away.

K const needs to be adjusted to get it running

Thing is I bought the nistune 2nd hand, it already had a tune and running on a r33 with more or less similar mods (different turbo and injectors), was having this problem, so I had the base tune loaded and adjusted for 555 injectors, still same issue.

why would that be? if the stock tune is loaded to nistune, it would run just like it would with the stock ecu plugged in. is the K constant to do with the injectors, as in if injectors arent set up correctly, car wont run at all (not even rich or lean)

A Nissan ECU measures the AFM voltage, and uses the VQ curve to convert that to an amount of air flowing. The ECU then calculates the injection time by multiplying the revs by the air flow value by the K value (basically). If you put bigger injectors in, you need to reduce the K value, as you don't want to the bigger injectors to pulse as long as smaller ones. If you change the AFM (physically), then you change the VQ map in Nistune to reflect the different voltage-flow relationship and you have to adjust the K again.

The built in functions for resizing injectors and AFM in Nistune do this for you by simple ratio calculation between known (assumed) sizing of injectors and known (assumed) performance curves of the air flow meters. But such simple maths does not capture the fuzzy edges of the differences between things you change, and worse, with injectors the latency can be quite different, which is not automatically updated when you use the resize functions. End result, it is more normal to have to manually tweak the K value to get it to run properly, fairly common to need to adjust K to get it to run at all, and almost unknown to be able to swap stuff around without needing to touch the K value at all.

That's the point....it is very specific to your setup. Here's my tip. In Nistune, with the basic changes for AFM and injectors done, increase the K value by 10% and see if that makes it better. If not try +20%, +30%, maybe even higher. If none of that helps, try -10% and so on. When you find a change that makes it better, then try 5% changes around that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm a noob so I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread or not, but here goes..

Last night I did the mod where you ground out the boost solenoid on an R33GTSt.

Well I read the entire thread on that before attempting it, & then did it as specified.

When I went to test it on my way to work this morning it would not rev over 2500rpm, just kept coughing until i dropped the revs below 2500.

I freaked out (i only just got the car), & put it back to standard, but it still wont rev over 2500rpm..

Have I broken something? Can I fix this?

So far I have reset the ECU as specified (disconnect batt & pump brakes)

I hot wired the solenoid to see if it works (it does)

& I tried running the car with the solenoid grounded & ungrounded.

Still only 2500 rpm..

Please HELP!!!