SAU Community

R34 GTR in 2WD mode... is it possible?

Done a bit of a search and came up empty handed.

Can anyone confirm if this can be done and back

it up with the exact proceedure to do this?

Looking for a short term answer that doesnt involve

a center diff controller.

I am hoping someone can confirm that the R34 4wd can be temporarily disconnected like the R32 with just the removal of a fuse. I heard this down the grape vine when the R34 was released...

The R33 is definitely different and needs a center diff controller.

As far as I know you basically have to remove the front drive shaft. You can't just pull a fuse in the 34.

If I need to go to RWD I have always removed the front shaft.

• 5 weeks later...

As you can uderstand, I dont want to Give it a shot on a 95,000

car.

This is needed for SEV's testing and they only have a 2wd dyno to do

rolling road emissions. For those of you that dont know, SEV's testing is required

for import compliance plates.

This is why I need to know if it can be temp disconnected. To a more details extent

what happens with the factory computer and what happens on a 2wd dyno.

Another thing I am concerned about is the computer going into limp

mode because the front wheels are not moving but the rears are.

I can put a PFC in it but dam, tunning it for emissions is not like tunning it for power, I can hire I dyno for good rates but if I hire one with all teh emmsions gear (full gas) its nearly $300 per hour! I need to know what I am shooting for.

FYI emissions tuning is a lot more time consuming then power/economy.

If this is for SEVs and your doing emission's testing wouldn't it need to be done on a 4wd dyno, in case there is any extra pressure on the engine and it outputs more to get around that pressure placed on the engine?

Maybe you should check to see if you can use a 2wd dyno for a 4wd car to pass SEVs.

i have popped a 4WD fuse in my car and i had only 2WD at the time.....after i replaced thye fuse the car seemed ok....however i dont know if there is any adverse effect from extensive use of the vehicle with this fuse removed or blown...i have also done the same with a 33 GTR that i had quite some time ago

Benjiman74 have you run a R34 in 2wd mode?

Zagan No one has a 4wd dyno with the correct emmsions gear. Hence 2wd mode. It can not go into limp mode as it will change maps altering emmisions. I have checked and it can be run in 2wd mode for emissions purposes.

yldgtr2 that would be in a R32, R33 and R34 are differnt and you cant pop a fues as far as I knwo.

Minimum the ABS light will come on, whether this will cause a limp mode activation is another story.

Hmm, might have to go to the R34 forum

Benjiman74 have you run a R34 in 2wd mode?

Zagan No one has a 4wd dyno with the correct emmsions gear. Hence 2wd mode. It can not go into limp mode as it will change maps altering emmisions. I have checked and it can be run in 2wd mode for emissions purposes.

yldgtr2 that would be in a R32, R33 and R34 are differnt and you cant pop a fues as far as I knwo.

Minimum the ABS light will come on, whether this will cause a limp mode activation is another story.

Hmm, might have to go to the R34 forum

No i haven't removed the shaft on an r34 as I don't own one. I sugggest you refer to Snowman's post #11 (he owns an r34 gtr) and vspecv's post #16 (he's had several gtr's including r34's). Both have advised you to remove the front shaft.

My personal experience with the r33 is that the ecu will did not go into limp mode, simply adjust your driving style and enjoy. :wassup: