SAU Community

Engineering Certificates

sleptema

Hey guys, there doesn't seem to be much coverage on getting certificates for mods as my car has a few illegal mods that make me piss myself every time a cop drives by. I haven't been pulled over yet, but when I do, I am sure to get a canary..

I read in a previous thread that Welshpool Licensing centre has a list of engineers or something, how would I go about acquiring that list as it doesn't appear to be online..

How do these certificates work? I throw them money and they give me permits for everything?

Here is the list of mods on my car that are defect worthy, if anyone can shed some light on what I have to do..

Too low, exhaust too loud, atmospheric bov, tint too dark (30%), pod filter (I THINK it complies as it is bolted onto the chassis, not freestanding), underglow (which I am not really too concerned about, but would be nice to ricer it up every now and then) and hid headlights (with cable tied ballasts :P).

Cheers.

Edited by voncina

For mods listed above you won't get mod permit.

If your car is too low,too loud etc you will get yellow and you won't pass pits.

P.S Dont even bother calling engineer.

If your car is too low,too loud etc you will get yellow and you won't pass pits.

Cheers for not answering anything.

What Goran is saying it true. Engineering certificates are meant to prove that a cars modifications are still safe if it has been changed from the manufacturers spec. For example, if you take the engine out of your car and put in a twin turbo LS1, you'll need an engineering certificate to prove that the car can withstand the power, the brakes will be sufficient, the engine is fitted properly with proper engine mounts etc, etc. Having an exhaust that is too loud or a car that is too low is not an engineering issue. That is just breaking the rules. Sorry to tell you, but you can't do illegal mods on your car and expect and engineer to just sign them off.

How do these certificates work? I throw them money and they give me permits for everything?

No, they will not give you permit for underglow even if you throw money at them.

mate it seems you haven't listed any modifications on your car that would make it worth your while getting engineering approval.

it's expensive (and painful), for a start;

you will have to lower the exhaust volume, raise the car to the minimum legal height, remove the tint and reapply legal stuff, etc, etc, just to get the engineer to even look at it.

engineering certificates (sadly!) don't provide you with exception or extra allowance for noise and height limits etc

Edited by PIG_31

Cheers for not answering anything.

I think he answered your question quite well. :)

Cheers for the help everyone.

Unfortunately, I plan on going lower, louder and more extreme with my modifications. This is a little disappointing to hear, oh well, makes the daily drive to work all the more interesting.

As said that's not even worth trying to get engineered unless you are defected first. Then, raise it, quieten it, remove/block off BOV & minimise boost however you can, remove tint, and hid's aren't allowed unless they have wipers on the headlights so probably have to remove them anyway. Even so, don't expect it to be easy.

PS - If by underglow you are referring to neons, please park your car in an open area away from everything, and set it on fire.

Cheers

PS - If by underglow you are referring to neons, please park your car in an open area away from everything, and set it on fire.

Cheers

Show me an image of your car and I will single something out and tell you it looks disgusting and you should burn your car for it. f**k head.

Cheers for the help everyone.

Unfortunately, I plan on going lower, louder and more extreme with my modifications. This is a little disappointing to hear, oh well, makes the daily drive to work all the more interesting.

at least to and from work you're less likely to have trouble as police are usually busy elsewhere at peak driving hours

Show me an image of your car and I will single something out and tell you it looks disgusting and you should burn your car for it. f**k head.

Oh the mad.

fkn lol.

Jus' sayin' but you set yourself up for being flamed for something what most of us know (even me who knows f**k all) is a stupid question.

also lol @ underglow.

GET MAD SON

Thanks mate, although maybe if you didn't take everything so seriously you wouldn't come across as such a little bitch! Considering I've had a built car engineered & learnt so much about the process and could have helped you out with what you need to know, I might let you educate yourself about it when you need to.

I said that due to the fact they are just asking for a yellow sticker, and are a very good chance of being illegal.

edit - also if you want to try & pick something about my car, go nuts. One page back in the show n shine thread

Edited by ossie_21

edit - also if you want to try & pick something about my car, go nuts. One page back in the show n shine thread

Your pod filter is a good 3 feet too long? :P

Also it's an R33 :ph34r:

*hides*

Thanks mate, although maybe if you didn't take everything so seriously you wouldn't come across as such a little bitch! Considering I've had a built car engineered & learnt so much about the process and could have helped you out with what you need to know, I might let you educate yourself about it when you need to.

I said that due to the fact they are just asking for a yellow sticker, and are a very good chance of being illegal.

Sick of people ripping me out about them. Each to their own. I don't see why everyone feels a need to tell me how crappy my car is because I enjoy lights on the underside of it. I think 90% of deep dish rims look disgusting, but I can't go up to someone and tell them they make a car look trashy, just because most people like them. I am happy to have any and all information about cars you can throw at me, I can never know enough, and I always want to learn more.

Jus' sayin' but you set yourself up for being flamed for something what most of us know (even me who knows f**k all) is a stupid question.

We all had to start somewhere, and I am sure you asked some stupid questions as well. I didn't purposely set myself up to look like a tool. How else are you supposed to learn if you don't ask questions? You do know f**k all, cause if you had any intelligence at all you would have realized that.

We all had to start somewhere, and I am sure you asked some stupid questions as well. I didn't purposely set myself up to look like a tool. How else are you supposed to learn if you don't ask questions? You do know f**k all, cause if you had any intelligence at all you would have realized that.

Hahahahahaha.

the other thing you need to look at are the ADR's. if they state no to something (eg: no lower that xxcm, tint no darker than xx) then you cant get a cert for that item.

The certs are for things that you can change (engines, brakes, half cage etc) that are not with in the manufacturers guide lines.

Its just to say that it was done correctly and that no extra harm will happen to you or anyone else because of said change/s.