SAU Community

Dull Carbon Fibre Bonnet

PSI086

Just wondering if there is there such a thing as a product to revive dull/faded spots on carbon fibre? Its gone a bit shitty from being left out in the sun. Or would a wet sand, buff and light cut be sufficient?

Edited by PSI086

Just wondering if there is there such a thing as a product to revive dull/faded spots on carbon fibre? Its gone a bit shitty from being left out in the sun. Or would a wet sand, buff and light cut be sufficient?

how did u go with this?

Haven't touched it since. I did try a good meguires polish on it before starting this thread and it made very little difference.

Is the resin buffed at all when the bonnets are manufactured or is the finish as it is when it cures?

• 4 weeks later...

Carbon bonnets in most cases can be cut and polished just like paint( except dry carbon)

megulars m105

Or farcula and a buffer

Then use some fireglaze in top of a show car glaze applied with buffer ( do not use lambswool pads!!!)

other choice sand up from 4000 to 12,000 grit then above , if the bonnet has cleared paint then sand carefully and repaint with diamond clear from DNA paint

It can be flow coated with a new product that looks like 25 mm of standing water its so shiny but the cost and process is a big one left for a carbon layer , the product has to be imported from USA not sold here but is UV stable and used on jet engines cowl so heat from the sun wont touch it , note real carbon sands real easy and you can buff right thru it in a flash so use care

Most bonnets sold here arent UV stable and get crappy in a few years if left untreated or in sun a lot

Paint it body color for the "its stock look"

Mine is a FRP though , and it has big arse Aerocatch locks on it so its not as stealthy as it once was, but at least now it wont fly up at speed.

Ever since i got a bad recommendation from autobarn and it ruined my cf bonnet, ive used the meguiars plastx cleaner and polish.

It still need to be redone every now and then but the car rarely leaves the shed when its raining so it stays good for a while.

Ive actually just looked at the bottle and its the lowest restoration fix of there products. there is a moderate and severe to try. So until i paint it to match car was going to try the moderate if i can find it.

But it works just like polish and ive never had a problem with it. And when i did use the stuff i was recommended from autobarn the bonnet just about matched the white paintwork so it does its job.

If its sprayed clear , treat it just like a car paint , wax it etc, just remember the clear will be much thinner ( some will be epoxy clear other lacquer which cracks and hazes fast)

You can also get what is called "blushing " kinda a wipe off hazy look thats from non UV stable and possibly chemical reaction still occuring in the epoxy from the heating, in that case let it cook in the sun one hot day then wash with good car soap not kit or some crap like dish soap

And show car glaze and your fav good paste wax

Once again not turtlewax, kit or cheap crap

Using only microfiber towels to wash and dry snd polish not lambs wool for anything or sponges

If you drop the rag grab another one dont use it again

And when you wash rags DO not use fabric softener it leaves a haze on your car and smears

The epoxy used on carbon bonnets is paperthin in most cases so sanding or even a detailer polisher can be dangerous and require a reflow of epoxy or even carbon repair which is paper thin too

Edited by Carbon 34

• 5 weeks later...

depending on how bad it is take it to a mob called aquadip i have seen them fix up faded carbon bonnets just by cutting back the resin and reclearing it again i think it would be better because clear takes alot longer to fade and go that yellow colour than resin