SAU Community

Quick Question

hi guys as you can tell i'm new to the forum here, and i just bought myself a v35 350gt-8

i apologize if these questions has been asked before i've done some research and looked through the forum and coulden't find anything :S

anyway like i said i just got myself a 350gt-8 and its my first car

i've always liked cars but never really got into the mechanical side of it and my question is i need to do a major service on it soon and was just wondering is the cvt, transmission and gearbox all the same thing? if so do i just need to service the cvt and then the transmission and gearbox would be done as well? or is it all different parts of the car and i gotta service it all individually?

also where can i buy the cvt oil for the 350gt-8 and how much would it be? as well as a tutorial on how to do this?

also when i bought the car the guy said that the display screen has a loose ground wire so it doesn't work :S where is the ground wire located on the display screen so i can fix that? and is there a tutorial or something where i can do the ipod dock mod? or possibly instead of an ipod dock an android dock mod? seeing as i have an android phone

and the last question is what bulb type does the v35 use? i know the low beam is a hid d2r and the parker lights are t10, but what about the fog lights and high beam lights? i want to change the fog and high beam lights to white bulbs seeing as the low beam has a white bulb

again i'm sorry if these questions has been asked but i'm new to the forum and owning a car lol :S

i know this must have been a long read but any help would be much appreciated

How deep are your pockets? Because that gearbox isn't exactly known for being reliable. The oil for the gearbox is not cheap by all means that's when and if you find it, it's usually on Ebay.

As for the globes I can not remember from doing mine.

Good luck with the CVT mate, if you treat it right it should be fine.

so the cvt, transmission and gearbox is all the same thing? meaning i service 1 then i service all? lol my pockets are deep enough i guess but how deep are we talking about for the oil? and what type of oil is it or the name of it? :S

The CVT gearbox is about $1k and genuine Nissan oil from Nissan is the only way to go. DO NOT service the CVT yourself, unless you are extremely mechanically competent, but sadly there ar eonly a handful of workshops in Australia with any idea about the CVT gearbox at all.

Sadly I think the guy was pulling your leg about a loose ground wire - and if it was that easy to fix, why didn't he fix it before he sold you the car?

The high beam/fog lamp is a H4 dual filament. You will never find a high beam light anywhere near the whiteness or intensity of your low beams, as the low beams are HID. The closest you will find is the Phillips X-Treme Vision, but even they are yellow in comparison to your HIDs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-PAIR-Philips-H4-Headlight-Globes-X-treme-Vision-100-Brightest-Upgrade-EVER-/140747389599?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c532ba9f

Your bible of all things V35 sedan is here:

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/

Every single thing in the world you could ever think of has been covered in the G35 forums!

is there anywhere in melbourne where i can get the cvt serviced?

also with the display screen sometimes it works while i'm driving while most of the time it doesn't any idea what that means?

so the cvt, transmission and gearbox is all the same thing? meaning i service 1 then i service all? lol my pockets are deep enough i guess but how deep are we talking about for the oil? and what type of oil is it or the name of it? :S

Gearbox and transmission are different terms for the same thing. A CVT is a type of transmission, just like a Manual and standard auto are types of transmissions. the only additional item you need to be aware of on a RWD car is the differential, which is at the rear, it also has oil that needs to be changed at specific intervals.

I don't think the CVT is all that bad, there are a couple of horror stories, new fluid is insanely expensive and nissan are the only people who make it. The biggest issue is finding a mechanic who has a clue about them.

Here is an ebay link for the fluid.. not sure how many tins you will need for a full flush, probably 3 at a guess. That said, there was a guy selling 1 tin on ebay for about $350 recently..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyline-V35-350-GT-8-Transmission-oil-KTF-OIL-/220879380863?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336d6fe17f

That link to G35 driver about the sedans came in quite handy man, that site is a pain to navigate. Thanks nightcrawler..

The CVT gearbox is about $1k and genuine Nissan oil from Nissan is the only way to go. DO NOT service the CVT yourself, unless you are extremely mechanically competent, but sadly there ar eonly a handful of workshops in Australia with any idea about the CVT gearbox at all.

Sadly I think the guy was pulling your leg about a loose ground wire - and if it was that easy to fix, why didn't he fix it before he sold you the car?

The high beam/fog lamp is a H4 dual filament. You will never find a high beam light anywhere near the whiteness or intensity of your low beams, as the low beams are HID. The closest you will find is the Phillips X-Treme Vision, but even they are yellow in comparison to your HIDs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-PAIR-Philips-H4-Headlight-Globes-X-treme-Vision-100-Brightest-Upgrade-EVER-/140747389599?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c532ba9f

Your bible of all things V35 sedan is here:

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/

Every single thing in the world you could ever think of has been covered in the G35 forums!

I did a CVT 'Box in a V35 yesterday.

They aren't amazingly hard, just if you put too much in the sensor has a fit.

Little light on the dash came on - haha.

Just sucked the excess out with a pressure sucker.

The reason the oil is so expensive (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the meshing of the CVT gears, not like a standard Trannie, and if you put the wrong oil in you can either ruin your gears by them getting gunked up, or by not being lubricated enough and shredding themselves. That's why you buy the Genuine stuff.

We got it $750 on trade, and we waited almost 2 weeks for it.

Any competent highly regarded Mechanic could do it if you want someone to be sure of (like.. a custom car mechanic, or well reputed workshop.)

But anyone can do it - just be careful, and follow basic logic and you can't really go wrong.

A cvt doesn't have 'gears'. The cvt in the skyline uses two pairs of toroidial rollers. A search on 'extroid' should yield some sites with pictures and a good description. There are very specific friction requirements for these rollers and the Nissan fluid is designed specifically for the extroid cvt. the xtronic cvt in other Nissan vehicles is a very different beast and uses a segmented steel belt. It also has its own specially designed oil. Using a standard auto transmission fluid will destroy a cvt.

thanks for the help but is there any mechanic in melborune that knows about v35 and how to do the cvt service?

GIve Nuwan a call. He will be able to help you with the CVT sevice. He is located in Bayswater.

He is very familiar with V35s and he services my 2006 V35 coupe as well.

His number is 0422807393.

Cheers,

Keith

p.s. If you can make it, pop over to the Garage Cafe in Carlton next Friday 29 June to meet some other V35 owners in Melbourne. (See separate thread).

GIve Nuwan a call. He will be able to help you with the CVT sevice. He is located in Bayswater.

He is very familiar with V35s and he services my 2006 V35 coupe as well.

His number is 0422807393.

Cheers,

Keith

p.s. If you can make it, pop over to the Garage Cafe in Carlton next Friday 29 June to meet some other V35 owners in Melbourne. (See separate thread).

ok thanks for the guys number i'll give him a call when his free any clue to how much he would charge for the cvt service?

about the meet up can you link me to the trend i might drop by

I think FrakMunkie makes a good point too. A normal service on the CVT shouldn't need any special knowledge other than the required fluid type and how to refill to the correct level. A normal auto transmissions service just involves a fluid change and a test drive.

When you need faults repaired you need someone who really knows these transmissions..!

i would do the cvt serivce myself given that there is a tutorial or something on how to service it

but it would be the first cvt service so i want someone to do it properly :S

I think FrakMunkie makes a good point too. A normal service on the CVT shouldn't need any special knowledge other than the required fluid type and how to refill to the correct level. A normal auto transmissions service just involves a fluid change and a test drive.

When you need faults repaired you need someone who really knows these transmissions..!

Is there a filter or mesh to clean and/or replace in these?

That is usually part of an auto tranny service.