SAU Community

How often do you get ur brake discs machined?

Hey,

My r32 seems to go through discs pretty fast, i had them done about 8000km ago as there was a heavy vibration under braking, a symptom of ur discs needing machining. The problem was fixed with the machining, as expected.

I fitted some rb74 front pads about 2000km ago, and im already getting the vibration pretty badly again.

So my question i guess is how oftern do you have to get ur brakes machined?

Please state what pads ur using too, std or aftermarket. I dont think i brake excessively hard, but i do quite a few km is my car (500 a week easy) and its going to be damn annoying if i have to shell out $100 each 3 months for machining.

Rhett

the more you machine your discs then the thinner they are which means the faster they stuff up, you should only be able to machine a disc once or twice before you have to change them so be careful. you should machine the discs every time you change your pads.

i use bendix ultimates which stop real good but are real dusty.

Have you had a wheel balance and alighnment lately? I wouldn't expect shaking after only 2000 clicks unless the discs are just bad units, or too thin (although isn't there some law related to this?)

LW.

Yeah i need a balance and alignment, but not sure about taking it to tyrepower or bridgestone or wherever, ive heard a few bad stories about their "attemps" at working on skylines - stuffing up hicas etc.

How is it cheaper in the long run to get new discs?

It could be that my discs are too thin, the guy that did it for me didnt know the minimum thickness, he only had the GTR values, which are different.

Thanks for your replies.

The RB74 pads are quite a harsh pad and will wear out your standard rotors quicker than Nissan/Bendix pads.

if you upgrade your pads your always going to wear out your discs faster make sure u know what your pads are made of before u put them in i went through two sets of discs to one set of pads once

Did you get the disks machined while still on the car? Doing them on the car is the only way to do them 100% correctly as it takes into account the whole mountings etc (if they are slightly out of wack).

I was watching him as he did the fronts, and he was discribing the tolerances that are involed, he put a gauge on the disk so he could see the amount of warp, and it was amazing how little warp he could pick up.

I had mine machined when I had the EBC greens put on, that was about 2 years ago. I've done a few pretty hard stops (160-0) and the disks are still fine, no lips or anything. One reason why I went for the EBC's, they aren't harsh on the discs.

I'd say that you should only get them machined if your changing pads and there is a lip on the disc or if your getting that fibration when you brake. If it ain't broken, it doesn't need fixing :D

J

yeah, only needs machinging if its warped (sort of thrumming feel thru the brakes). but when they machine it they only take a tiney amount off, I've had mine machined at least 10 times before I needed new discs....

What Jay said is correct. The only way to prevent it happening is to machine the discs while they are on the car. Otherwise the difference in tolerances between the workshop's lathe and your axles will cause it go go back to square one before too long.

Here is an interesting article about it. The discs don't really "warp" as such, but get the high spots on the discs knocked off by the pad, even when you're not using the brakes. Which of course is amplified if you use a hard pad like an RB74. Anyway have a read. I only found out about this recently, but I am now 100% sold on getting the discs machined while on the car.

Edit: Erm, speaking of which :) Can someone tell me who does a good job of on-car machining in Sydney, at a reasonable price?

The RB74 pads are quite a harsh pad and will wear out your standard rotors quicker than Nissan/Bendix pads.

Yeh quicker, true dat :) But i have ran RB74s for about 30,000kms with discs that havent required machining, and even doen some hillbilly track work with them, and rotors are fine. I think you may have other problems, vibration in front end??? id see a good susp place, could be worn anything, alignment???