SAU Community

Vq Turbo Build

Hi guys. After days of searches I'm struggling to find the info with built engine so thought I'd start a fresh topic as every other one is 5-8psi on stock engine.

I'm starting a build next month as my engine has seized and I figure might as well do it properly. I am buying Wiseco forged 8.8:1 pistons, eagle rods, arp main & head studs, strengthened head gaskets, 600cc injectors, 255 fuel pump, fpr, OS Giken twin plate clutch, and appropriate machining, tune etc.

My questions I guess are how much boost will this be good for before I need cams/headwork or other? Is 500rwhp achievable with the single hks 3037 turbo? I know that's probably going to need 20psi ish but can hit it at 14psi with the twin.

Any other input would be appreciated by anyone with the know how, experience or has a car similar

Other than the capacity your engine is much like mine, that sort of power is attainable easily once the rods/bolts/studs are changed. There is no "max boost" only cylinder pressure you have to worry about. Too much will cause the head to lift and blow the head gasket. I would suggest the L19 ARP head studs at over 300kw, after talking with a few builders over in the US that's what I went with.

Have you considered leaving the compression a little higher and running e85?

And why the 3037? I think its a little too small for that power on 98, perhaps a gt35 might be a better option?

Check out the new Walbro 416lph pump, not much more coin but flows twice what the 255 does at higher pressure.

I have a spare set of manifolds here if you need them or I could even make you up a kit.

I'm in Perth and don't know how accessible e85 is. Would rather stick to pump fuel anyway. I'm looking at a hks kit soon to buy and like the idea of the smaller turbo for response as its still a street car too. Where di u see that pump? I've been looking on z1motorsports.com I will be going the L19 too.

The only other comp I can find too is 11:1 and not keen on that.

Sorry, your location said Melbourne. No pump ethanol for you. lol.

A gt35 would be fairly damn responsive on the street and would still be in its efficiency at that power level. Are you happy with 300kw from the 3037?

This is relevant to my interests.

Start looking at parts properly. There are many more piston options, and like Scotty, I think something like 9.5 would be really nice. IMO the Hks kit is the way to go as a bolt on option. The little 3037 won't flow 340kw and won't do 20psi either on our motors. Scott is right, look at bolting a gt35 to the kit, with a suitable sized rear housing. I think it would be tight but fit ok. The only other thing you need to go for then would be a bigger inter cooler.

The turbo in the link has a too small rear housing. I'd got for something in a 1.02 range, if not bigger if you can get it.

Are you expecting it to cost you a lot of money?

Ok sweet. Thanks for your help guys. I need to re think targets or am also looking towards gtm twin turbo setup. With the forged bottom end going in I really want to make the most of it.

Have looked on US sites but there is little on the Hks single kit.

Make the most of it? 500hp is nothing, aren't the rods good for over 800hp?

You wont find much info as the HKS kit was around 10 grand to buy. Not many people went that route due to the twin kits being released cheaper in the US, but that doesn't make the single a crappy option. It would give you a much better midrange for daily driving imo and allows you to chose from a myriad of housing options.

I agree, you need to sit down and decide how the car will be used and what power you are after. Have you driven a 400kw car on the street before? Seems a waste to me in a rwd platform.

To be honest I think more than 500whp is a waste. It isn't an everyday car it will be a cruise/occasional track/drift day. Having said that I do want more than guys are getting from stock blocks and I think a good 500whp is enough. For now lol.

You wont find info on the HKS single turbo in the US as it was not released there, wasn't released for Left-Hand Drive. The Kit is good for standard Builds, but not Big power Builder (400+)

I'd start looking into other kits... Momentum, GTM, JWT, GReddy, APS ect.

Ok that sounds like its the go. I've been looking at the gtm twin kit as it looks great quality and lots of options.

Would love to make my own but that would be biting off more than I can chew for sure.

30/37 will not make over 400rwhp on 98, simple as that....

:)

Geez, if that is true then I'll scrap my plans of getting the engine built and stay happy with my 350-360rwhp. No use spending all that money for an extra 50whp.

Why would a built engine make any more power? Which part did you expect would make the 50whp gain?

Sorry, what I meant was I'm currently on 6psi and was hoping to go to 15-18psi with stronger internals to get to a target of hopefully 450ish rwhp. If what OP said is true and that the HKS 3037 kit for the VQ will top out at 400rwhp on pump fuel then spending the money on a built engine and winding up the boost is not cost effective if I can only get an extra 50hp.

Again, sorry if I confused anyone.