SAU Community

Afm Position With Turbo Build

r3volt21

Hi,

I am just finishing my turbo build on my L24e R30 I was wondering where the best place to fit my air flow meter is I was thinking prob after the intercooler before the bov? Not 100% on this just want to make sure before I cut any intercooler pipes up.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

i'm going to assume it's the stock L24E AFM, not sure how it would go under boost pressures so before the turbo.

Pretty sure it would shit itself under boost being a big flap and stuff,

thanks for the reply I didnt think of that only going to run 8psi untill i get a new ecu anyway will try it before turbo and see how it goes I just heard it can cause stalling and idle problems mounted their but thats prob with a bigger turbo then I am using anyway.

After seems to be the new trend. Ideally the afm goes in the bin and u get a good ecu

Let me clarify the above statement - disregard the first suggestion, and follow the second...

:)

The AFM on the R30 is useless, and has a sawtooth resistance curve. Not only that, it's got a rectangular mounting face which is a PITA.

If you must use an AFM, retro fit an SR or RB one (of course this would be if you fit an ECU with an AFM input).

Seriously, don't bother with the factory EFI if you're running a turbo conversion, it's just not worth the hassle.

As Ben says, the stock L24E AFM aint worth a pinch of pelican poop and further to that, the air box is a dudd too! It will all depend on what you have planned, but a stockish look to confuse the NSW law, you will have to have an air box of sorts. The DR30 air box is the best, along with a DR30/FJ20ET AFM would be my pick. The DR30 air box flows heeps more air than the L24E will.

Failing this, you're going to have to enclose a pod filter attached to your AFM.

The ECU is your biggest and foremost issue, as it has to have a feed for the AFM.

My suggestion is find an after market ECU, but it also depends on what state you have to pass registration in.

Cheers, D