SAU Community

Front End Shudder Under Power And Steering Lock

180Shauny

Transfer case as in gearbox? That was fully flushed recently.

Checked the Attessa, the reservoir is actually quite overfilled. Planning to get it flushed with Nulon Synthetic tomorrow anyway, is there a drain plug or something that you open? Will get the diffs done as well.

I think I have a random leak that isn't oil which I'm getting them to look at also. I thought it was power steering but the level in the reservoir seems okay.

So I had the diff oil changed (new diff oil) and the attessa and transfer case changed (Nulon 100% synthetic) and the problem is fixed. Good call Scotty!

Incidentally the leak turned out to be a hole in my radiator top tank which I discovered on the way to work today :rolleyes: yay!

There is Matic J in the transfer case also, as well as the gearbox. ;)

The power steering can also cause bad shuddering if it gets air in the cylinder.

The service manual says Matic J in the gearbox (10.3 litres) but Matic D (1.8 litres) in the Transfer case.

Something I'm not clear on though is the atessa fluid, is this the transfer case oil or separate to it? I'm having the same shudder problems as the OP.

I have Nulon synthetic in the power steering, the attessa and the transfer case without issues. The gearbox will have standard Dextron III in it when it comes back from Kewish, they prefer non synthetic fluid for some reason in their rebuilt auto's.

The transfer case has a simple 10mm allen key drain bung, it is separate from the attesa fluid. Make sure you crack the filling bung first. ;)

The service manual says Matic J in the gearbox (10.3 litres) but Matic D (1.8 litres) in the Transfer case.

Something I'm not clear on though is the atessa fluid, is this the transfer case oil or separate to it? I'm having the same shudder problems as the OP.

Yes, and Matic D for the Attessa.

The easiest way is just to use a fluid that is compatible with both Matic D & J in everything - hence the use of Nulon 100% synthetic trans fluid.