SAU Community

V35 Insurance Drama

So i'm currently with RACQ insurance and i've just spent over an hour talking to a girl who keeps putting me on hold because she doesn't know what the answers are to my easy questions.

I'm trying to add my Injen CAI and my Kinetix V+ Plenum to my insurace so i'm covered but as i'm under 25 i can only have 1 modification. I'm also trying to find out if i change my orange bumper indicators to black if i'm covered and she thinks i'm not. This is an absolute joke, it's a $20 mod and i won't be covered if i get in an accident. Even suspension or exhaust won't even be accepted. I pay $190 a month for insurance when i can't even get covered for MINOR modifications to the car so i've had enough.

What insurance company are you with, what do you pay and can you add modifications to your insurance if you're under 25?

Edited by Seano350GT

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NRMA. - I pay $120 a month and it automatically covers all mods without even asking what they are.

When I was importing my car I searched around. RACQ 100% refused to even give me a quote. Shannons and Justcar were too expensive and required it 'not to be my main form of transportation'. NRMA was the cheapest and best I could find.

Mine's insured for market price which includes all mods, otherwise you just set the value of the car which would include mods. The only thing about NRMA is high excess.

Edited by sheldon2369

I can't believe that RACQ will even insure an import fullstop. To my knowledge pretty much the only places in Aus that insure grey market vehicles are Just Cars, Young & Cool and I have heard of some people jagging Shannons if they are member of a Cams Affiliated car club, and do less than 10,000km per year (but if you ask Shannons upfront they will say no). As always there are small exceptions to the rule, like if you insure your car under your parents name initially their current insurer might look at your car.

And of course things which make your car unroadworthy like black/clear indicators will make them not insure you. Similar with illegal wheels, exhaust etc - from their point of view if your car is illegal then they are not interested in insuring you. Sadly ALL of our cars are illegal (unless 100% stock), as you only need to make your wheel track more than 10mm wider and your rims are technically illegal, if your exhaust is over 92db it is illegal (and pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is), and if you have lowered your car whatsoever then part of your exhaust will be closer than 10mm to the ground and as such is illegal.

The proof in the pudding is what happens when you have an accident, as technically they can decline to pay insurance if anything whatsoever on your car is unroadworthy. This includes worn tyres. You just never know until you claim.

NRMA. - I pay $120 a month and it automatically covers all mods without even asking what they are.

I can't join NRMA as it's NSW, RACQ is QLD.

I can't believe that RACQ will even insure an import fullstop. To my knowledge pretty much the only places in Aus that insure grey market vehicles are Just Cars, Young & Cool and I have heard of some people jagging Shannons if they are member of a Cams Affiliated car club, and do less than 10,000km per year (but if you ask Shannons upfront they will say no). As always there are small exceptions to the rule, like if you insure your car under your parents name initially their current insurer might look at your car.

And of course things which make your car unroadworthy like black/clear indicators will make them not insure you. Similar with illegal wheels, exhaust etc - from their point of view if your car is illegal then they are not interested in insuring you. Sadly ALL of our cars are illegal (unless 100% stock), as you only need to make your wheel track more than 10mm wider and your rims are technically illegal, if your exhaust is over 92db it is illegal (and pretty much every aftermarket exhaust is), and if you have lowered your car whatsoever then part of your exhaust will be closer than 10mm to the ground and as such is illegal.

The proof in the pudding is what happens when you have an accident, as technically they can decline to pay insurance if anything whatsoever on your car is unroadworthy. This includes worn tyres. You just never know until you claim.

I'm going to look into Just Car, i talked to the chick about rims she said i can be insured for them as it's cosmetic and not a mechanical/engine mod like CAI is.

It's pretty scary, i am insured for 26k when i bought it for 20k so if something were to happen i don't want to do ANYTHING that can jeopardise me getting ALL of my money back so i'm going to be very careful with what i do.

I can't join NRMA as it's NSW, RACQ is QLD.

I'm going to look into Just Car, i talked to the chick about rims she said i can be insured for them as it's cosmetic and not a mechanical/engine mod like CAI is.

It's pretty scary, i am insured for 26k when i bought it for 20k so if something were to happen i don't want to do ANYTHING that can jeopardise me getting ALL of my money back so i'm going to be very careful with what i do.

You can Join NRMA in Queensland, My Girlfriend and her Mum are both insured with NRMA

I've been with Just Cars for the entire time I've had my car, unlimited mods. Some just require a bit of extra on your premium

Apologies, i'm from NSW i should probably know that lol. I just got a quote online for NRMA came back at $237 which includes Windscreen with an agreed value of 26k + an exess of $1000.

I can't find anywhere on the page which mentions modifications, might give them a call.

Talked to a girl from NRMA, VERY helpful she was amazed how bad RACQ was. My monthly feel is an extra $30 but that's nothing when it includes a LOWER exess, windscreen protection (which RACQ won't cover because it's a "unique vehicle"), agreed value of 26k, unlimited mods and if i swap insurer before i turn 21 in Sept i get free "free2go" i didn't fully understand that but i will look into it later.

Thanks for suggesting NRMA Sheldon, will transfer it in a month or so.

Not a problem mate,

I'd suggest not swapping until you're 21 though. Do the online quote again and pretend you're 21 - you'll see a fairly large price drop.

Free2go is just free roadside assistance from RACQ. Usually costs around $100, and I think it'll only last year.

Not a problem mate,

I'd suggest not swapping until you're 21 though. Do the online quote again and pretend you're 21 - you'll see a fairly large price drop.

Free2go is just free roadside assistance from RACQ. Usually costs around $100, and I think it'll only last year.

Mad, yeah the chick said if i swap before i'm 21 i will get it free. But that also means no mods on my car until then, i may as well still buy all the shit i want to do and just keep it in the garage until i change.

Amazed at how much better the NRMA system works, i should of shopped around a bit before i went with RACQ..

get some quotes from other insurance companies first.. I'm with NRMA. They weren't the cheapest, but have a policy to beat competetors quotes by 10%. I pay about $800 a year with glass cover.

I'm paying $112 per month for Just car, living in Brisbane. I'm 36. I did put in all the minor mods like exhaust, rims, suspension...etc, even though I don't have some of them, still the same price.

And I don't recommend having windscreen cover as there's no place in Aust you can find the OEM ones. Which I found out. And only $250 for local made ones with installation, quoted to me by a guy in gold coast mobile windscreen.

Edited by FlyingEL

Your birthdays only just over a month away anyway.

Just save all your mods and on your 21st smash them all into your car at once. You'll be able to feel the gain a lot more this way too.

get some quotes from other insurance companies first.. I'm with NRMA. They weren't the cheapest, but have a policy to beat competetors quotes by 10%. I pay about $800 a year with glass cover.

I'm paying $112 per month for Just car, living in Brisbane. I'm 36. I did put in all the minor mods like exhaust, rims, suspension...etc, even though I don't have some of them, still the same price.

You're both 36 / 37 - For us "Under 25's" we get absolutely hammered with Insurance. I shopped around for ages and nothing came even remotely close to what I pay with NRMA, which is $1400 a year at Market Value.

Edited by sheldon2369

Only thing is it know with every quote i get it's going to be similar because i have lost my licence in the last 2 years..

I am paying an excess of $2,200 or something ridiculous with RACQ, when i swap to NRMA it's going to be $1,400. That's a massive saving if i have a prang.

Yeah your right Sheldon, it would be pretty fun spending loads at once and getting so many goodies around the same time so i might just save like mad for now.

f**k you carry on sometimes.

Shannons will insure your car. Even if it is your daily (as my Stagea is). As long as you list your modifications and said mods are not hazardous/dangerous they can't decline your insurance. An insurance policy is actually a contract between you and the company so just make sure that everything is listed.

Just quote from just car, choose the $600 excess option instead of $400 and they will be cheaper than NRMA.

Then email that to NRMA for their beat by 10% deal and then add in windscreen cover for $60. That way u will be covered for any mods, anyone can drive you car and then your done.

Just quote from just car, choose the $600 excess option instead of $400 and they will be cheaper than NRMA.

Then email that to NRMA for their beat by 10% deal and then add in windscreen cover for $60. That way u will be covered for any mods, anyone can drive you car and then your done.

I have got a quote from Just Car about 5 months ago, ended up being the most expensive insurer for me even with the maximum excess it turned out being around $250 monthly unlimited mods no windscreen/road side assist.

f**k you carry on sometimes.

Shannons will insure your car. Even if it is your daily (as my Stagea is). As long as you list your modifications and said mods are not hazardous/dangerous they can't decline your insurance. An insurance policy is actually a contract between you and the company so just make sure that everything is listed.

I have tried to get a quote from Shannons and they were not remotely interested. Just because you managed to get insurance with them with your Stag - you might have jagged an understanding/import owner consultant and got lucky. Doesn't mean I "carry on". And fyi most insurers rely on a Redbook value of our cars for replacement, and as ours are not in the Redbook means that most insurers won't touch them. Seems that RACQ and NRMA are exceptions, which is good for choice for import owners.

And iamhe77 I can't bloody wait until you have a major accident then come on here and sook that the mean insurance company won't pay you out, as they decide that items on your car made it unroadworthy. Of course they can not pay at their discretion, so me giving that advice is not just "going on". I was just pointing things out to guys on here so that they can make a full and educated decision about their insurance.

When i first joined RACQ it took me 30 minutes to explain to the consultant what type of car it is. "R34 Skyline??" she kept saying i remember it so clearly. NRMA seems way easier, everything online is set out so you can understand it, nothing is hidden it's all in front of you. Plus they actually know what they're talking about.

I'm still amazed that RACQ won't give me windscreen protection because it's a "Unique Vehicle" when i told the chick from NRMA that she had a good laugh, also the fact that RACQ will only cover me for 1 miserable CAI modification..