SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

More news for ProRawFour

MORE PRIZES ANNOUNCED

Here is some incentive. Rick from Ironedge has provided $1000 in the form of Ironedge vouchers. It will be given to or divided amongst ANY lifter that breaks an All Time Any Fed Australian Total Record. If only 1 lifter manages that, it all goes to them. If its 4 lifters, they split it up.

Here are the All Time Records

RAW MEN

60KG - G. WONG - 425KG (PA)

67.5KG - DOMINC CADDEN - 535KG (PA)

75KG - EMAD NAYEF - 602.5KG (GPC)

82.5KG - MARK BARHAM - 697.5KG (PA)

90/93KG - SCOTT WASSON - 724KG (GPC)

100KG - JASON DURBIDGE - 842.5KG (CAPO)

110KG - RICKY GOODYEAR - 847.5KG (GPC)

125KG - SHANNON FLORISSEN - 860KG (CAPO)

140KG - WAYNE HOWLETT - 900KG (CAPO)

SHW - GEORGE MCLAREN - 930KG (CAPO)

RAW WOMEN

48KG - MARY MACKEN - 307.5KG (PA)

52KG - CORALIE WEIR - 335KG (GPC)

56/57KG - JASMINE HIGGS - 337.5KG (PA)

60KG - TAYLOR YOUNG - 409KG (CAPO)

67.5KG - KATIE FOSTER - 372.5KG (CAPO)

75KG - KATIE FOSTER - 400KG (GPC)

82.5/84KGKG - LUCIE THOMPSON - 385KG (CAPO)

90KG - RACHEL GORMAN - 372.5KG (CAPO)

SHW - ANITA MILLINGTON - 527.5KG (ProRaw)

For those watching, either live or by our live feed, this may help

ProgramGuide

The beginning

Back in 2010, Max and I went to the 2010 WPC Worlds in Idaho, USA. We flew for 14 hours, then drove for another 14, to compete against one other boy. That was rubbish. Instead of whining, I decided to go about correcting everything I didn’t like about powerlifting.

ProRawOne was held in January 2011, it was a feeler to see if it would work. It did, so ProRawTwo was held in October 2011. That competition changed powerlifting in Australia, for good. The standard has risen, amongst all Feds, since that day. It is still the best competition I have attended, and I’ve been to 2 Worlds and 7 Nationals held by 4 different Feds.

The look on the lifters faces when they saw the venue, the equipment, the big screens, the warm up area, that was my favourite bit. That’s the most important area for me, to make sure the lifters have everything they need to perform at their best. Scott, Fuzzy and Chris did. I’ll never forget it. Gregg and Dan also put on a terrific show.

That event convinced me to continue. It hasn’t been easy, but with the support of the lifters, sponsors and some other individuals who prefer to stay in the background, it will continue to go from strength to strength.

Thank you for coming to watch. Please make as much noise as you can, the lifters and I will appreciate it.

Markos Markopoulos

The Rules

I haven’t tried to reinvent the wheel here, in my opinion, powerlifting rules, in raw competition, are mostly the same, regardless of Federation. Here is a brief rundown of the little things, I’ll leave the technical stuff for the lifters. This is for the fans

Each lifter gets 3 attempts at all 3 lifts, the squat, bench press and deadlift. Once he has attempted a weight, he can’t choose a lower weight for his next attempt. If successful, the weight on the bar goes up for their next attempt.

You must perform at least 1 good attempt at each of the 3 lifts. A good attempt is one the judges deem to be good by giving a majority ruling, meaning at least 2 of the 3 judges give the lift a white light. A red light signifies a missed attempt by that judge

Your score is a combination of your best successful attempt in each of the 3 movements. The winner in each weight class is the person who lifts the most weight.

When a lifter makes a good lift, please yell, clap and cheer, it will be appreciated.

The Lifters

I won’t detail every lifters accomplishments, just the highlights of the favourites

Firstly the women. There are not enough competitors yet, so the winner will be decided on score, which is a combination of weight lifted and bodyweight. The calculator we use is the Glossbrenner

Katie Foster and Nina Markopoulos are the 2 favourites. Both girls competed at the 2012 GPC Nationals in Caloundra this year, Nina finished 2nd and Katie 3rd, but that was with age correction. Here they will be going head to head.

Katie Foster, ACT - burst onto the scene with a bang in 2012. Her performance has been breathtaking. She already has 2 All Time Australian Records, in the 67.5kg class and the 75kg class. Her 182.5kg deadlift at Nats was an unbelievable deadlift at a bodyweight of under 75kg. She is the favourite to win the $1000 first prize.

Nina Markopoulos, Vic - has had a terrific year in 2012. She has competed at ProRawThree where she finished second to the great Anita Millington setting a new PB total, another PB total of 310kg at GPC States in March, then “the perfect” comp at GPC Nats, where she made 10 of 10 attempts, set Open Women WR in the deadlift with 140kg and 75kg in the bench press at a bodyweight of 58kg. Her 327.5kg total was also a WR. At Worlds she broke her Open Women deadlift and total record with a 142.5kg deadlift and a 330kg total at 57kg. She will push Katie all the way.

Vicki Jewson, Vic - trains with Nina, and has done all the same comps this year. Her training since Worlds has been excellent and she has broken all her PB’s in training. Vicki is expecting to beat her total PB of 272.5kg.

LIGHTWEIGHT 80kg class men

Ben Bouchereau, QLD -, or Frenchy as he likes to be known, is a red hot favourite to win this class. Franchy usually lifts in the 75kg or 82.5kg class. The 80kg ProRawRecord is 622.5kg held by Emad Nayef who had to withdraw from competition due to injuries. They will meet at Nationals later this year. Frenchy competed at the GPC Nationals this year and totalled 627.5kg, weighing 79kg. I can’t see him getting beaten unless he stuffs up and chokes. His main competitors at this weight are Emad and Michael Brook, who has also totalled 615kg at ProRawThree, both out injured.

Kristos Paponotis SA - is an 18 year old, who by the time he’s finished in the sport will smash most records in the lighter divisions. He is coming in too light to beat Frenchy at ProRawFour, but has his sights set on all the All Time 67.5kg record, which stands at 535kg. Videos of his recent training indicate he will take the record, even though he’s still a teen. Watch this space.

Chris Van Gunst, Vic - is newcomer, competing at his first ProRawEvent. The owner of a 240kg deadlift at under 80kg bodyweight will ensure he finishes in the top half of the field. A 550kg total from Chris won’t surprise.

MIDDLEWIGHT 95kg class men

Matt Brunoli, SA - will be very hard to beat. Matt is a part time powerlifter, spending his winter playing football. This is Matts first official 3 lift comp, and he could break the all time 90/93kg record of 724kg, set this year at GPC Worlds by Scott Wasson. I have seen Matt deadlift 330kg at 92kg bodyweight, a lift that won him the CAPO National Deadlift comp in 2011. Good luck to all the 95kg competitors

Laird Ross, Vic – is un unknown quantity to me, all I know is he’s one of the best benchers in Oz. Laird, Like Kristos, last competed for PA. I think Laird will be around the 700kg mark as well, keeping Matt honest.

Alen Pezerovic, Vic – is possibly just in front of the next bunch, who are around 50-70kg behind the top two. Alen has trained better than he ever has for this event. His previous best total was 590kg, done at GPC Nats in June. Alen will go over 620kg at ProRawFour. His battle with Jonathon Nichols and Wayne Kollen for bragging rights at PTC in the 100kg class is the most intriguing battle of the meet.

Other notables here are Jonathon Nichols and Daniel America, both should go over 600kg

HEAVYWEIGHT 110kg class men

I don’t know how much Nathan Jones is going to weigh, I’m going to guess more than the 110kg cut off. He is unbeatable in Australia at 110kg.

Firas El Achkar, SA – Fuzzy is powerlifter to the core, now, after having started as a bearded 14yo in Olympic lifting. I have known him for 6 years now, and every year he just gets better. He totalled 600kg at his first meet, at my gym, back in 2011. He will go very close to 800kg here at ProRawFour. Fuzzy has never been defeated at Powerlifting, and if Nathan Jones lifts in the SHW class, it will probably remain this way. Watch for his 340kg deadlift.

He will pull whatever he needs to win

Alex Zerba, QLD – is the only lifter capable of beating Fuzzy. If Fuzzy slips up, just a little, Alex will get him. They have only met once in competition, at the GPC Nats this year, where Fuzzy beat Alex by 55kg, 740kg to 685kg. Alex is a better lifter than that, the margin will be much, much closer this year. Alex has a much bigger bench press than Fuzzy, he will need to maximize his advantage there if he is too to hold off the faster finishing Fuzzy. Cant wait for this one.

SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT 110kg + class men

Odell Manual, QLD – wow, what a pick up from PA. Odell is an ex NRL player, having played for the Auckland Warriors and Canberra Raiders from 1999 – 2002. In 2009 he totalled 917kg at the PA nats in single ply gear. His recent training vids indicate he will go close to 900kg via a 350kg squat, 200kg bench and 350kg deadlift, if he has a good meet, Wayne Howletts 900kg 140kg class All Time record will be in jeopardy. With Dan Wright out this year, competition is thin for Odell...............except Nathan Jones might step up to this weight class. If so, it will be a fight worth flying in for.

Nathan Jones, ACT – the reason we are here. If not for this man, ProRaw might just have finished before it started. He believed in the concept from when it was still an egg, and he quit PA where he was a top lifter, to come and lift at ProRawOne. Nathan is a competitive lifter, who loves competition more than winning, a trait he displayed at ProRawThree, where he weighed in at 110.5kg and totalled 850kg. A mere 500gms lighter would have meant it was an All Time Australian Record. A fit Nathan will go close to 900kg at under 120kg, which to me, will make it the best raw total in Australian History.

Jackson Murrie, QLD – is a kid, who is a chance to break the great Gregg Gordons all time biggest total by a teenager in Australia, the 770kg he did at ProRawTwo. Still a teenager, his strength is outstanding, 300kg squats at such a young age are very impressive. A bit of a wild child, he will only improve by competing in such exalted company

ProRawRecords

Because the women don’t lift in weight classes, we use the Glossbrenner scoring system. Here are the Top 10 scores at ProRaw.

WOMEN

1. Anita Millington..................341.16 - PR3

2. Nina Markopoulos..............301.16 - PR3

3. Sussy Kollen........................299.95 - PR3

4. Tara Marshall.....................285.88 - PR2

5. Cami Sadri..........................284.59 - PR2

6. Dimi Strathopoulos............267.78 - PR1

7. Vicki Jewson.......................266.72 - PR3

8. Amanda Woodward...........259.85 - PR3

9. Emma Eaton.......................249.39 - PR3

10. Helen Sidiropoulos...........246.38 - PR1

MEN

Lightweight 80kg class – Emad Nayef – 622.5kg

Middleweight 95kg class – Matt Middleton – 720kg

Heavyweight 110kg class – Gregg Gordon – 770kg

SHW 110kg+ class – Dan Wright – 870kg

Here are the all time Australian Records, raw, all feds

WOMEN

48KG - MARY MACKEN - 307.5KG (PA)

52KG - CORALIE WEIR - 335KG (GPC)

56/57KG - JASMINE HIGGS - 337.5KG (PA)

60KG - TAYLOR YOUNG - 409KG (CAPO)

67.5KG - KATIE FOSTER - 372.5KG (CAPO)

75KG - KATIE FOSTER - 400KG (GPC)

82.5/84KGKG - LUCIE THOMPSON - 385KG (CAPO)

90KG - RACHEL GORMAN - 372.5KG (CAPO)

SHW - ANITA MILLINGTON - 527.5KG (ProRaw)

MEN

60KG - G. WONG - 425KG (PA)

67.5KG - DOMINC CADDEN - 535KG (PA)

75KG - EMAD NAYEF - 602.5KG (GPC)

82.5KG - MARK BARHAM - 697.5KG (PA)

90/93KG - SCOTT WASSON - 724KG (GPC)

100KG - JASON DURBIDGE - 842.5KG (CAPO)

110KG - RICKY GOODYEAR - 847.5KG (GPC)

125KG - SHANNON FLORISSEN - 860KG (CAPO)

140KG - WAYNE HOWLETT - 900KG (CAPO)

SHW - GEORGE MCLAREN - 930KG (CAPO)

The Future

Next year will see ProRawFive take a new turn, the event will be invitation only, with the Top 10 lifters in each weight class being invited. I will include all lifters in Australia that compete in a sanctioned event, if they decline the invite or can’t make it due to injury etc, the next lifter in line gets invited.

This will ensure we get the pick of the absolute best each year. This will help with our efforts to get sponsors, the bigger the event grows, and is attended by the best lifters, the easier it will be to get sponsors. This year we have Ironedge and Total Science helping. Both Rick and Gawain have been supporters of the ProRaw concept from ProRawOne.

So sadly, this will be the last chance for some lifters, unless they get their strong on.

Thank you to everyone that competed, watched live or on the internet, told a friend, spotted, loaded, ran the desk, sponsored, helped a lifter out in the gym.

If we want our sport to grow, we have to start at the bottom and help one another

Most of all

RESPECT MY SPORT

Markos Markopoulos

Did my last heavy session (deadlifts/bench) on Sat... was meant to train yesterday but feeling pretty beaten up so cancelled it and just went and ate a massive parma and chips... will go tomorrow and run through some light warm ups to keep loose

Will ramp up the eating even more now... next two days are going to be awesome... god I love eating

Markos don't read this bit: I better enjoy it because after Sat I'm going to lean up... I've put on good size this year so would like to see the results of the hard work... yes apparently I'm vain!

PTC NEWSLETTER

# 173

PTC/GPC/ProRaw

November 10 looms as an important date on the powerlifting calendar. Firstly, Thomas Lilley is opening the latest PTC gym on the Gold Coast. Thomas is a WR setting powerlifter and a top flight nutrition expert.

He has a passion for strength training, especially powerlifting, and is an active GPC member, competing at the 2012 QLD States and the National titles in Caloundra.

He has trained at PTC Brisbane and is good friends with Scott. He likes what Scott has done for powerlifting in Queensland, it’s really exploded in 2012, and wants to get involved in making it even bigger in 2013.

Currently Queensland is home to some of Australia’s strongest powerlifters and Strongman competitors. Jason Durbidge has the 100kg All Time total record, Scott Wasson has the All Time 90kg record, Coralie Weir has the 52kg All Time women’s record, Australia’s 2 strongest Strongman competitors, Warrick Brant and Derek Boyer live in Queensland. Jackson Murrie and Zach Turner, Australia’s strongest teens, and by a long way, live in Queensland, Scott Hill will also set All Time records this year, another Queensland lifter, Mark Barham and Dave Parmiter, you get the idea, strength overload.

A new fully equipped gym can’t come soon enough. Thomas already has a Monolift, competition bench press, Ivanko plates, 35mm squat bars, deadlift bars, 29mm powerbars, platforms, power racks. All this should be in the gym by the time it opens or just after, as a lot of this gear comes from overseas.

Queensland will now have 2 Monolifts, one at PTC Brisbane and one at PTC Gold Coast. Last year there were none. Monolifts are used in 2 of the 3 Feds in Oz, yet for so long Queensland has never had one. I hear PTC Brisbane may be getting a second one. We are here in Frankston.

The main reason for this growth in our sport can be directly attributed to GPC Australia. In its first year and we’ve already had a Nats with over 90 lifters, the number will be closer to 150 in 2013. Scott up in Brisbane has been flat out promoting our sport up north, and it’s clearly working, he’ll be glad to have Thomas’ help. The crowd at the PTC stand at the recent fitness expo in Brisbane was massive, nudging 1000 spectators at times. The exposure this brings to our sport is priceless.

Queensland is the first state to have 2 PTC gyms, demand is high for friendly welcoming strength gyms, that get results. I’m heading up to Queensland in March/April 2013, will be my first chance to see both gyms.

If you live anywhere near these 2 gyms, go in and check them out.

PTC Brisbane

352 Melton Road

Northgate, 4013

Australia

PTC Gold Coast

Unit 3, 22 Hilldon Court

Nerang, 4211

Australia

As I mentioned earlier, GPC Australia is growing much faster than I or anyone expected. Vicki tells me members are at 150 already, coming in so fast she can’t keep up updating them, I have a few here I haven’t given to her yet, they will swell before the National Push/Pull event on November the 18th as well.

Thank you to all the members who have made GPC a success. The 2013 Nationals are in Victoria, at Rydges Hotel in Bell St Preston. We have had to go to 3 days rather than 2, simply to accommodate all the lifters. More details on this in future newsletters.

PTC’s will now be able to supply soft suits for new lifters, contact your local one if you require one.

ProRawFour is set to go off on November 10 as well, at the Frankston Arts Centre. We have 35 lifters competing, it’s the biggest one yet. The field is exceptional, we have some of the strongest lifters around competing. There are absentee’s but that happens with all comps. I won’t be surprised to see 900kg totals in the SHW class and 800kg totals in the Heavies, 700kg won’t be enough to win the Middleweights and 600kg will be bettered in the Lightweights.

Next year this event is invitation only, so it’s the last free hit for lifters. We have $5000 in prize money, plus prizes from Total Science Protein and Ironedge. These guys have been onboard since ProRawOne, please support those that support our sport.

A few lifters have their sights set on breaking All Time Australian Raw Records, as many as 4, which would make it the most broken in any comp in Australia.

The best part about ProRaw is there are no politics, it’s simply an event that allows lifters from every fed to compete, head to head. Unfortunately one fed in Australia doesn’t allow this, so any member from there has to resign to compete at ProRaw. That saddens me greatly. But I cheer up when I see Nathan Jones, Odell Manual, Laird Ross, Kristos Paponotis, all former lifters from that Fed, that quit simply to compete at ProRaw, all have a chance of winning their weight class.

If you’re in Queensland and you’re not doing anything on Saturday, pop into PTC Gold Coast for their opening.

If you’re in Melbourne, come and watch a great comp in Frankston

Markos Markopoulos

So what do we have here. I havent been on this forum since i owned a skyline yonks AGO. 10+ years.

Good to see the familiar faces.

See u guys at proraw 4!!

Edited by trentzor

hahaha yeah totally! gethugeandjackedolone is great... I inject it straight into my nuts

I wasn't nervous at the novice comps, I guess because everyone were noobs and there were no expectations... I'm pretty much shitting myself right now... eeek

Yeah for sure, good advice... I am focused on my total, been running through the lifts in my head over and over... maybe too much!

about 87.5kg at the moment... at least 88kg by the time I'm finished eating tonight lol

bit nervous about the squat... dunno why... but looking forward to deadlifting and really going all out