SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

I foudn week 9 always got me in trouble when I was doing it.

My training log at home actually has "f**k YOU WEEK 9" on one of the pages

yeah I massively overestimated the squat program... was trying to do the 180kg and got to about week 6 and realised I was in trouble... after just squeaking out that 170 squat I'm going starting the 180 program again... but I'm all screwed up as ProRaw4 is in 3 weeks and I'm just starting the PPP cycles again... I didn't get to finish any of them properly before the last comp either, think the closest I got was bench week 9

I want 180/120/230 = 530... but I'll take 520 and be happy... pretty confident I'll get the bench and dead but the squat will be hard... might have to settle for 170-175

I better buy some shoes/suit... does anyone in Melbourne stock this stuff in store? prefer to buy in person so I can get a good fit

Rest as long as you need

When it comes to strength, fatigue is the enemy, you never want to miss a set because you hadnt rested long enough

You wont get leaner resting less, otherwise those fat f**ks supersetting everything with there PT would look like Frank Zane

Alter your diet to alter the way you look

PPP is not about the weight on the scale its about the weight on the bar

Sometimes at a comp you have to wait 20 minutes between attempts, I train my guys to get used to that sometimes

Anywhere between 3-5 minutes on your heaviest sets

On the assistance we rest about 1 minute, depends on the movement, 20 rep SLDL requires over 5 minutes or death becomes a reality lol

We have some guys do them with 2 x bw

Been looking at the PPP and trying to work out where to start, so from those using it some advice please.

Current stats - 5"7 85kg, bodyfat around 20% and have been training for 11 months.

Current 1RM:

Deadlift - 160kg (that was tough!)

Bench - have never done a 1 rep maximum and normally I stop 1" above my chest (that will change with this program and will ensure the bar touches my chest on all lifts). I think I would be able to do 110kg-120kg

Squat - As above but have done 120kg but not what most would call a 'full deep squat' so reckon I should be able to do 100-110kg that goes deep enough.

So firstly, don't flame for the above, secondly what weights are recommended I start for each lift?

Edited by SRS13

no flame here... no great damage done if you under or overestimate a little... just have to be honest with yourself on form and reps

Markos will probably jump in here but for what its worth...

If you got 160, try the 170 program... if you get halfway through and its still easy jump onto the 175

Get someone to spot your bench press and find out what your true 1rm is... then aim 5-10kg over that for your PPP

I wasted a lot of time when I first started in the gym half squatting... I wasn't training powerlifting then, just lifting to get in shape... I didn't have anyone to judge depth and thought I was deep lol... when I went properly deep I could handle a LOT less weight so get someone to have a look at your squat or video it... its really annoying to get a certain weight and then realise your too high so you may as well go lighter and do everything with as much depth as possible... you'll be a lot stronger for it in the long run

read Markos article on squatting if you haven't already http://www.ironedge....-author/markos/

SRS13

there is a PTC in sydney.

I suggest you go there and talk to TRENT (The owner) and tell him you have bought PPP program from markos and want to make sure you are doing the movements right.

He can walk you through squats and bench and deadlift and you can try 1rms there in his gym using good equipment and spotters.

Then look to increase your lifts by 10kg.

run through the 11 weeks.

at the end do your new 1rms and so on.

Edit - I gotta refresh the page before I start typing

Edited by TTT

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Will definitely try and do a 1RM for squat going as low as I can physically go. I'll try the 170 for deadlift. Cant do the bench now as physio has said no benching/chest exercises for a while and I haven't done any for almost 4 weeks now.

Didn't realise there was a PTC here in Sydney - I have to check it out!

Henry is a friend and a class act, great gym too with some very strong boys, hoping a few of them come across for Nats next year

Referred a friend to Henry a few months back, he's blown away by the benefits after he had been training traditional gym style for years. Usual things realised, like how his form was poor on the 3 lifts even though he invested in lots of PT instruction etc..

I just need to convince myself to get myself over there now. Suffering from the standard lack of motivation ( read bull-dust excuses). I know once I start training again the motivation takes care of itself. I'd love to be smashing the PB's of ten years ago at my present age of 40.