SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

I reckon it will be a dead heat lol

lol.. will pack the ice pack and nurofens

Do you guys ever do bench only comps?

They do sometimes.

but it's usually a PUSH PULL comp where it's bench then deadlift.

Birds, the GPC National Push/Pull is on November 18, all around Australia on the same day

You can do both or simply one, so you can bench only, a lot do as its not a combined total, each event is separate

You can also set National records at this event. Being sanctioned, you must join GPC and wear a soft suit

The Vic leg is being held at my gym, PTC Frankston, 2 Skye Rd

Nick, leave a little earlier so you can warm up properly this time

like a uniform for other sports.

also, allows the judges to see depth in squat, pause touching chest, and hips locked in deadlift.

and it allows us to look sexy

ps - soft suit can't be a compression suit like skins or 2xu etc.

Edited by TTT

Nick, leave a little earlier so you can warm up properly this time

you sound like my old man but you make an excellent point... I will leave earlier

my bro-in-law coming to watch again, been trying to convince him to enter but he's worried about his crappy bench press... I told him it's just the lie down between the real lifts and he had a good laugh... still wussed out though

I don't care if I come last (well maybe a little bit) as long as I beat my lifts from last time I'll be happy

Birds you should enter, last time I did I had done zero actual training for it... I had been doing all three lifts but with nowhere near the frequency or intensity of a proper program... I found it useful to gauge where I stood strength wise

My only reluctance is I'm still recovering from the drop in conditioning that the flu gave me. Right pain in the ass that's been.

Nonetheless, if I have nothing already planned for then and get hold of a soft suit, I'll come along to the Nov 18th comp. Be interesting to see where someone who doesn't have strength goals sits along the scale.

I've been running starting strength for 7 months and I've put on a lot of back size/width, but I do add chins and hanging leg raises once a week maybe twice, you do barbell rows as well (well I do instead of cleans)

Edited by Dani Boi

Birds, you may get a shock and your misconception of powerlifters will diminish

My son Max only deadlifts, rows, shrugs and chins, youll die when you see his back, same goes for Emad, Martin, Jesse, Wayne etc

Most think powerlifters are fat. Maybe the 125kg and up guys are fatter, but the guys under that are quite lean

if your interest is bodybuilding or physique competitions then I wouldn't go balls out to work your 1rms... however running a power lifting program for a few months definitely won't hurt your physique and it could spark some new growth, especially if your old program is a bit stale... its not something to attempt on a calorie deficit though so you need to eat... probably better to tackle during a 'bulking' phase for the physique competitor

Insert pics of Scott, Max, Mike, and Rankin here

I know, it would shock a few hey lol

Triple bodyweight raw squats and deads do tend to take a little bit of muscle to move

One of the comments Max always gets are regarding the size of his traps. They ask him what he does, and he says shrugs. When they repy they also shrug but their traps arent that big, he tells them he uses 220kg lol