SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

Waiting for some legal shit to sort itself out (taking longer than it should), bit of a career change coming up! :)

are you finally writing that book... "How to lose friends and alienate forum members" :P

so how to a practice sitting back more? my knees are well forward of my toes at the bottom, shins should be more vertical yeah?

legal depth? might have gotten away with it there... was my worst lift for the day and I went 9 for 9 so happy enough... I seemed to have pulled up without any injuries other than general soreness so might get straight back into it tomorrow night... see if I can't improve ye old squat technique

post-7369-0-17698500-1349675624_thumb.png

I'm not the best person to ask but here is my understanding of it

Its pretty simple... start off very light, some just use the bar... lots of reps making sure to concentrate on technique... then just slowly start adding plates but just doing a couple of reps every time, making sure to be nice and explosive... you want to be nice and warm but not fatigued... there are percentage based programs out there that give you exact specifics on how to approach it but everybody's different... experiment and see what works for you

I used to train by doing the standard 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 as I went up in weight and with fairly short rest times... then if I had some gas left I'd maybe attempt a 1rm but it never worked very well

much better to go something like 20, 15, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 ... so the 20 and 15 (just rough numbers) done with a very light weight or just the bar... then the rest of the sets your nowhere near fatigue... in fact these should be done with the strictest form and really concentrate on speed (on the concentric portion)

then load up the bar, get a spotter and go for it

Nick - re: sitting back more.

You will need a wider stance.

if your feet are wider, and knees out, it puts the hips in a position to drop down and back.

You also need to have the bar lower on your back.

Only problem with this is that you will also be leaning forward more at the hips (ie your chest close to your knees.)

Rippetoe teaches this method of sitting back and hip drive etc etc.

Up to you which way you go, but as I'm sure Markos will tell you, changing your technique to chase a few KG usually ends up with injuries or losing kgs on another lift.

Give it a try with no or low weights if you want.

first few weeks of wider stance, knees out, arse back, hip drive gives mega pains in the hips, lower back, inner thighs and depending on your bar and hand position, you might get elbow and shoulder pain.

Edited by TTT

yeah cheers, that makes sense... I have watched Rippetoe's squat videos

my wife did say 'why do you have your feet so much closer together than everyone else'... my answer was I did it that way so I wouldn't need a wheelchair to get home lol

I'm not really looking at it from a perspective that I can handle more weight... I just think if mobility and glute strength is an issue I shouldn't train around them, rather work on it and improve... that said I don't think I'll ever squat wide! I'm one of the least flexible people on the entire planet, its pretty bad

even though I'm narrow I do keep the knees out fairly well... I have knees like a rugby front rower, they ain't pretty but seem to be fairly strong lol

funny I taught my wife how to squat and had her narrow like me but she wasn't strong enough to go deep... experimented with her stance and she is much better with a quite wide stance