SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

If there is no money in the tested amatuer division, why cheat, no one will even know you won, or care

I agree with everything except this... guys take heaps of shit just to look better at the beach even though nobody cares... people will still cheat in the amatuer division... because human beings are fckn insecure

But it wont matter.

Back to the amatuer Football thing, half the winning side could be on gear, and no one knows or cares, Swanny's one the one that counts

Thats my point, we dont need to test the minors, insignificant

An interview done by Scott Wasson from PTC Brisbane, with Adam Coe

Adam Coe

Written by Scott Hits: 0

Today, I had the opportunity to speak to a great Australian powerlifter…..

Most powerlifters will know who Im talking about with the following……

“How is it all the way over in SUUUUNNY Perth !@!@”

Actually, almost 20 years since the final deadlift hit the floor at the 93 Australian nationals, he is not just a "great powerlifter" he is Australia’s GREATEST powerlifter of all time......

aHR0cDovL2kxMDk5LnBob3RvYnVja2V0LmNvbS9hbGJ1bXMvZzM4OS9QVENCcmlzYmFuZS9hZGFtLmpwZyZ3PTU4MCZoPTEwMDAmcT05MCZhb2U9MQ==.jpg

Mr. Adam Coe.

Thanks for taking the time to have a chat today Adam, as always, I love our catch ups mate.

Adam, when did you first get involved in powelifting?

Ok; first involvement (on a local or state-level scale...) would be 1985. Probably early '85, prior to the mid-year Victorian Powerlifting Championships I think.

About what age were you then adam? and had you been strength training for a while before that?

22 (turned 23 in June of '85....). The other guys I trained with & myself had been training VERY hard & heavy at the old (now defunct...) Tarzan & Janes Gymnasium, Seaford, Victoria (where I first met the Markopolous clan....).

Prior-to-which, I trained by myself in a converted chook shed in our old backyard. Probably 3 years in total, before which I competed in Olympic Weightlifting as a 15/16 year old schoolboy for Peninsula Boys School, mid-1970's under Roger Crabtree's tutelage.

Can you recall your total at your first meet, what lifts they were and at what approximate weight?

Phew.!

First powerlifting comp. was at Len Wilson's gym in Caulfield, Victoria. Can't recall the squat, new Victorian Junior Bench-press record of 177.5kg & deadlift around 240kg. Total was definitely 622.5kg @ 90kg. Early in 1985 sometime.

Not bad at all for your first comp at all adam, especially as a junior!

What did you think of PL when you started?

First-ever competition I watched (& spotted...), I was completely blown-away. Watched guys I'd met lifting unthinkable weights seemingly easy. Was ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED when Charles Coleiro totalled 702.5kg @ 67.5, 1985 Victorian Titles. I totalled 655kg in the 90's; was ready to give it all away immediately following the competition. Len Wilson explained to me (GREAT words of wisdom...) afterwards that nobody expects novice lifters to go Elite One after one year of training. Ray Rigby congratulated me (I nearly died...) & others had similar comments/compliments thereafter. Its ABSOLUTELY VITAL that we, as a combined fraternity/association, maintain a STRONG ethic of always supporting, encouraging & nurturing ALL lifters who choose to pursue this wonderful sport. I wish each & every lifter, of all creeds, colour & age, the very best in their respective pursuit’s.

At a guess, how many comps do you think you have done since that first one back in 85?

Any world champs?

Len Wilson had been harping-on for months beforehand, telling me I'd do quite well in the sport of powerlifting.

I watched a competition just prior to this above mentioned event & was completely blown-away by the lifters/lifting etc.

I would have lifted every year thereafter, except 2004-onwards. I'm thinking approx. 100 competitions, none of which were World Championships. I remained focused on becoming Australia's highest total record holder, which I eventually succeeded with in November 1993.

So you broke the Australian total record in 1993, and it still remains today as the biggest total in Australian history, almost 20 years on….. You have to be happy with that!

What numbers did you make?

Ok; easy task.!

The-then Australian Records for the 100kg Men’s Open Men’s Division were :

358.5kg Squat (Shane Blood..)

242.5kg Bench (Rod Sylvia..)

352.5kg Deadlift (Vince Simonetta...).

I'd already broken the existing total record (882.5kg, previously held by the great Shane Blood & equalled by Vince...) with a 900kg @ the '92 Victorian Titles (lifts were 335-235-330).

It made sense to increase my low squat & deadlift, in-that I could bust every record out there, including Rod's Commonwealth Record Bench-press. November of 1993 I went 360 Sq., 245 Bench & 355 Deadlift to do the 960kg total at 99kg, breaking the GREAT Ray Rigby's immortal 950kg total which he did in the super heavy weight division.

Can you tell me a little about the day?

Sure. Training lifts indicated a probable total of around 980-985kg. The other guys I trained with were expecting me to come back with numbers around this figure.

I opened with a 322.5kg squat which wasn't really that easy. A disgusting miss with 362.5kg on the second put me in a state of REAL anger. Called for the 370kg on a third & JUST got it (two whites, one red..). I tell ya, if I'd have missed THAT squat, you'd still be hearing about it now.

On the bench I went ok; broke Rod Sylvia's 242.5kg with a limit-lift of 245kg.

I opened with 315kg on the deadlift, 345kg on a second (which gave me the 960kg total record...) & MISSED a 360kg on the final lift...ARGHHH..!!! If this had gone, 975kg total, close-to our prediction. Disappointing indeed.!

HAHA, disappointed with the 960kg total…… Amazing!

What sort of training methods did you employ back then Adam? Was there much science behind your lifting?

Ok; back in the 1980's, training @ Len Wilson's gym, the 'standard' was 5 sets of 5 reps. on our given top weight for the day.

Example - if the training program called for 200kg in the squat, the final 5 sets were completed with 200kg. This was followed by numerous sets of leg curls & calf exercises. Outside of which, for short periods, power rack work (partials...) with HEAVY sh*t, up to 320kg for top-end lockouts. Same for bench & similar for dealdifts (you guys do deficit deadlifts, we called them deadlifts-off-blocks...same/same...).

Lots of assistance work on bench day (Wednesday....) like tricep pushdowns, extensions etc.

Deadlift day (Friday...) assistance was heaps of lat pull downs, bicep curls & some abdominal work. VERY early in the 80's, can you believe we also did a big session on Saturday, like a mini-comp., where we all did ALL THREE LIFTS in the one morning....TORTURE..!!! But....it did produce results (we were seemingly always in a state of being overtrained...), however, our bodies did eventually adapt & become stronger. By 1989, this had become too much for me, so we (my training partners & myself...) started our own little power gym upstairs @ the old motor wreckers where was (then...) employed. Altered the program to the well-known Ed Coan progressive system, & our lifts went UP again.!

Sounds like they were tough sessions

BRUTAL.!! Thank f*ck we were younger back then.!! Impossible to do nowadays. But....with time comes experience & knowledge.!

A lot of people now run all sorts of programming full of science and theory, but still nobody has come close to your 960kg total at 99kg bodyweight which you did in 94..... Do you think they are trying to re-invent the wheel?

I guess I mean, your training was just heavy and hard, and it obviously produced the results..... Is there really a need to find another way to get strong?

Maybe not re-invent, just overly-complicate.

Confucius say "If not broken, no point in trying to fix".

The same weight training programs used by generations of lifters will work JUST AS WELL in 2012 & beyond as they did in 1940. Nothing changes; it all stays the same. Sensible increases, achievable goals & an UNSWERVING belief in oneself are the main ingredients. Never lose sight of your goal.!

Injuries, did you cop any? Any biggens you want to share?

Many & varied!

One has to expect & live-with injuries in this sport. It's extreme, & EXTREME things can, & may, happen.

-I have had numerous torn pecs

-A broken elbow

-both quads torn at various times

-…………And then there was the BIG one in 1998. A broken ankle, broken leg and I somehow detached the quad-from the patella.

Im not to sure how this all happened, however, wouldn't have done/would do anything different even now to prevent this happening.

If I could turn back the hands of time, I'd have tried harder to move up AT LEAST one weight division (always too tall & light for the 100's...) and worked harder in the big two (Squat & Deadlift...) to improve that total.!

The big one, in 1998, is that the reason you stopped lifting

Essentially, yes.

However, after conquering some fears I withheld for sometime afterwards, I lifted @ the Australian Championships, August 2003. The then-Victorian President, Ian Webb, had introduced an unequipped (raw....) section, which got me all enthusiastic.

Supportive apparel in the sport of powerlifting has become an out-of-control monster, & this initiative was a stroke of brilliance.

I lifted in the Masters Section (O/40, 100kg...), where I set records & had a GREAT time.

However, as you're well aware, fell into the trap of excessive alcohol consumption which has only recently ended. I stopped the booze mid-September this year, broke out the old weights weight’s and asked my 12-year old daughter to start a journey with me.

I hoped this would ultimately lead to a powerlifting competition for both of us, most likely late-2013 and beyond. Regrettably, she's already fallen by the wayside, however, I'm keen-as-ever. The O/50 Unequipped Division is where I'm at from now onwards.!

Mate, that’s awesome news, congratulations on slowing down on the booze.

I’m glad to hear you are coming back to lifting!

How will you structure your training? Anything like the old days?

Cheers for the positive comments.!

Yep, my training will be (essentially....) same-same as the 'old days'.

Ed Coan's program worked a treat back then; it'll work just fine in 2013, albeit slightly lighter weights’.

Just doing lots of light sets with granny weights for the remainder of 2012; but I will step-up the pace a little after the New Year. I figure I'll be about ready by August 2013

I'm figuring a 200kg sq., 200kg bench & 300 dl (same as the 2003 Nationals where I'd turned 41...). If anything differs, so-be-it.

Awesome to hear Adam, and that’s the perfect attitude mate.

To all the new, eager lifters coming through today, what tips and advice could you offer them in regards to training, comps and progression?

Don't be in a hurry.! Took me nearly 15 years of considerable mental & physical exertion to break-into the upper-echelon of Australian elite lifting, & I consider it a job only partially-done :) . Left unfinished business on the platform I'll now never be able to complete. For both genders & all ages; set yourself SENSIBLE goals (sorry to keep using this word...), train sensibly, ALWAYS remain positive, focused & ALWAYS maintain a true belief in yourself. Rome wasn't built in a day.!!

Furthermore, competitions (when a novice or beginner....) shouldn't be tackled on ones' own. Enlist the help of a trusted gym friend, training partner or coach. Too often we see lifters unable to complete opening attempts, leaving them floundering in the warm-up room. Watch, listen, observe & LEARN.!

Adam, Thanks once again for your time today, we all appreciate it!

Got a question for ya Markos...

Why is it that for some lifters, the deadlift is their biggest lift...whilst others get a bigger number from their squat? From what I've seen/noticed, novice lifters usually have a stronger deadlift...but when it comes to extremely strong guys (e.g. Paul Anderson), the squat seems to take over.

I'll take a guess at the "simple" answer being that legs have more lifting potential than the back muscles, but this is not reached until you're really crunching huge numbers?

November of 1993 I went 360 Sq., 245 Bench & 355 Deadlift to do the 960kg total at 99kg, breaking the GREAT Ray Rigby's immortal 950kg total which he did in the super heavy weight division.

Can you tell me a little about the day?

Sure. Training lifts indicated a probable total of around 980-985kg. The other guys I trained with were expecting me to come back with numbers around this figure.

I opened with a 322.5kg squat which wasn't really that easy. A disgusting miss with 362.5kg on the second put me in a state of REAL anger. Called for the 370kg on a third & JUST got it (two whites, one red..). I tell ya, if I'd have missed THAT squat, you'd still be hearing about it now.

On the bench I went ok; broke Rod Sylvia's 242.5kg with a limit-lift of 245kg.

I opened with 315kg on the deadlift, 345kg on a second (which gave me the 960kg total record...) & MISSED a 360kg on the final lift...ARGHHH..!!! If this had gone, 975kg total, close-to our prediction. Disappointing indeed.!

Confused...

Which numbers are correct?

I assume the first quote which would be new records for each lift AND total.

great read thanks Markos

Birds: I think your on the right track plus probably easier to support very heavy weights on your back as opposed to holding them in your hands

so I got my soft suite yesterday (a Metal one)... I tried it on and my wife almost died laughing at me... I look like a bear stuffed into a 1920's swimsuit...

Adam missed 362.5kg on his second squat, made 370kg on his third, he benched 245kg

On the deadlift he made 345kg on his second, then 360kg slipped out of his hands on his 3rd, he was gutted

So his lifts were Squat 370/Bench 245/Deadlift 345 for - 960kg@99kg

I have the video footage of this comp

Got a question for ya Markos...

Why is it that for some lifters, the deadlift is their biggest lift...whilst others get a bigger number from their squat? From what I've seen/noticed, novice lifters usually have a stronger deadlift...but when it comes to extremely strong guys (e.g. Paul Anderson), the squat seems to take over.

I'll take a guess at the "simple" answer being that legs have more lifting potential than the back muscles, but this is not reached until you're really crunching huge numbers?

I believe that most lifters have not trained the squat hard enough. The elite lifters squat more than they deadlift, not all, but most, Ed Coan, Malanichev, Hatfield, Efferding, Howlett, Coe.

What will surprise most is the 1000lb barrier was first squatted, then benched and only recently deadlifted

Novices usually pick things up off the floor before they ever train, so the deadlift weights are easier.

Its not unusual for a first time lifter to deadlift 140kg in my gym, but I dont recall anyone ever doing a 140kg squat first time

Levers also play a role

In my gym, Jack squats and pulls 300kg, Max squats and pulls 250kg, a couple of others pull 10kg more than they squat. The worst though is Brent who competed last novice comp with Nick.

He squatted 140kg and deadlifted 255kg

yeah do it.

doesn't make much difference but it does tug at you differently to when you just lift in shorts and a tshirt.

I went an lifted at PTC Brisbane on 2 different occasions about 10 days before comps.

both times I went there in the full get up as if lifting on the day.

just to get my openers etc.

Ghosty was lifting there both times.

He was doing squats while I was deadlifting.

On both occasions, the f**ker went outside mid set and vomited. lol

First time was due to redbull and second time was too much water or something..

we had a laugh.. was just an awesome coincidence.

PS - every lifter has to wear them.. even those bigger/fatter/hairier than you.