SAU Community

R33 Auto Performance Vs R34 Manual

Hi guys,

I just bought myself an R34 GTT in manual and I am trying to figure out when / what stages the boost comes on. I am new to driving manual skylines having just upgraded from an auto R33 GTST.

Now, in the R33, you plant your foot down and boost comes on quick and it 'plants' you into the seat with how much get up and go it has. Similarly with just driving around, you want to overtake someone, plant your foot down, the auto transmission seems to downshift and the boost comes and quick and hard.

Now driving my new 34 GTT, not alot of boost builds in first gear (if any) which is fine - i don't expect the manuals to take off like an auto (especially with me still learning the gear box). But now in second gear, I plant my foot down, I see the stock boost gauge come to life, but the boost still seems quite linear and it doesn't have that 'forces you into the seat' type of feeling..it sort of builds up slowly..

Hard to explain, but I am hoping someone can just enlighten me with the manual R34. Both cars are stock, with the exception that the R33 has a custom 3 inch exhaust, while the R34 is still stock.

What RPM's and in what gear, should I be expecting the boost to come on hard?

Thanks guys!

dex

This is not going to end well man.... The question is one of those "how long is a piece of string" type things........

For example, you cans say they are both stock if one has a 3" exhaust, that is going to make a difference.

It sounds like driving style has a little to do with it too, learn the car and do some basic mods if you want more power, NO stock car will really "plant" you to anything...........

The turbo should be alive in any gear with the small stock unit! learn the car!

Thanks for the reply R34 - I didn't mean to sound ignorant, just wanted to know if anyone experienced the same thing going from an Auto to a manual. The new 34 will have it's exhaust system changed in the coming weeks, so hopefully that helps a bit, and of course, keep learning the car!

Thanks for the reply though :)

dex

No worries, and had no intention of sounding blunt.... They are an awesome car! I have had mine for years now!!

If you do the full exhaust from turbo back etc it should come alive a little, there is a few basic mods you can do to get it going, use the search function for the mod guide.

You will learn the car and learn to enjoy! If you have any questions try the search option first, if you can find what you want then either PM me or start a thread, the guys on SAU are awesome but if you ask the same thing that has been covered many times they tend to get a bit cheeky and you will get flamed :P

Have fun!

Mat

The 34 boost comes on 5lb @ 3200 roughly

And 8lb about 4500 or so , 34 also has a serious traction control that yanks the power out big time

If you fang it even a bit It will start coming on to stop wheels spinning madly , the 34 can spin the tires in three gears with even simple stock boost mods on 265 rears and a lite fuel load , without tcs on its tail happy

When you do mod it a little do the dump pipe it makes a big difference on stock everything else engine wise

In the seat of the pants it becomes much more drivable around town doesnt chug at 60kph in 5th

it really springs to life around 200kw @ wheels and light flywheel but on wet roads and bumps snd no tcs its a mongrel and demands attention or it will fling you into the trees

I had a auto r33 gtst it was sluggish to me ? And it was modded more

I think if your on stock tailpipe on the 34 it looses that growl of speed and a dirty airfilter would feel poor as well or heat soaked pod

The torque and hp is higher on the 34 but gear ratio isnt the best for australian speed limits

The 34 boost comes on 5lb @ 3200 roughly

And 8lb about 4500 or so , 34 also has a serious traction control that yanks the power out big time

If you fang it even a bit It will start coming on to stop wheels spinning madly , the 34 can spin the tires in three gears with even simple stock boost mods on 265 rears and a lite fuel load , without tcs on its tail happy

When you do mod it a little do the dump pipe it makes a big difference on stock everything else engine wise

In the seat of the pants it becomes much more drivable around town doesnt chug at 60kph in 5th

it really springs to life around 200kw @ wheels and light flywheel but on wet roads and bumps snd no tcs its a mongrel and demands attention or it will fling you into the trees

I had a auto r33 gtst it was sluggish to me ? And it was modded more

I think if your on stock tailpipe on the 34 it looses that growl of speed and a dirty airfilter would feel poor as well or heat soaked pod

The torque and hp is higher on the 34 but gear ratio isnt the best for australian speed limits

Thanks alot for the informative post Carbon. I totally forgot the 34 had traction control (what I get for owning the car a few days)..i will do a little bit of experimenting on vacant industrial roads this weekend to check it out. Will also check the airfilter and change the exhaust system next week or so. :)

5psi at 3200? i get 1bar before that with a GT30! I would have expected that closer to 2000rpm with a stock turbo lol.

factory it has 5 about 3000-3200 but also

Has 206ps and 363 nm stock , on the dyno mine pulled near 200kw /503nm stock on series 2 5spd on 8psi , a few mods and it shot way up and made it way more fun and driveable ( i dont bypass the tcs most of the time ) my narrow roads are to bumpy at 100kph and rain is often deep puddles .Lots of trucks and trees to hit !!

The power level its just spins the tires if you get on it and burning my tires is pointless and hard on the car boucing under power , my nismo diff hooks up a lot more already and gets violent when bounced in a dip or hole under power

The tcs is a monster a clutch dump and the car will damn near stall it yanks the throttle closed to no more then 2000rpm ( mine failed once and it sucks bad !!)

Sideways is fun but best left on the track

please dont fang your car on the street and end up bringing more attention to hooning , go to a skidpan day or track event to learn, or driving school day out with your own car

5psi at 3200? i get 1bar before that with a GT30! I would have expected that closer to 2000rpm with a stock turbo lol.

Isnt the low boost at low revs on 34GTTs due to the dual stage boost controller?

Isnt the low boost at low revs on 34GTTs due to the dual stage boost controller?

Yes it is , (factory )you can just leave it on high with 20c part

Or rb20 actuator brings it to 10psi a engine safe daily with supporting mods and stock look

It really brings it to life no low boost just 10psi all the time just off 3000rpm till 7000 its still at 9psi

Op6 series 2 garret turbo

Edited by Carbon 34

• 4 weeks later...