SAU Community

Xo2 Exhaust With Magnaflow X Pipe

Heck no. The argument was that these replicas use materials of similar qualities. In brakes, suspension, wheels where pressure is constantly being applied, you would want the assurance that they aren't going to fail. In an exhaust system, this factor isbt as significant as they aren't load bearing items. The argument wasn't about design, it was about safety in build quality.

Thank you for saving me posting the same thing :P

Not arguing the merits of "safety" as it is largely irrelevant with V35 exhausts, just put up a different perspective as to why a "real" exhaust should be considered instead of the "but I'll save some money" cheapo rip offs.

Just a different perspective guys, but feel free to use it as an excuse to get all lovey-duvy :P

Not arguing the merits of "safety" as it is largely irrelevant with V35 exhausts, just put up a different perspective as to why a "real" exhaust should be considered instead of the "but I'll save some money" cheapo rip offs.

Just a different perspective guys, but feel free to use it as an excuse to get all lovey-duvy :P

Completely understand where you're coming from mate. If people continue to buy replicas, then the real companies won't have enough to spend on R&D. I'm a brand wh0re though - Car parts, suits, shoes, everything. Supporting R&D divisions (and single mums ;)) whole heartedly. :)

I should probably add to the original vs knock off debate to say that the fitment on my XO2 exhaust was way off. Not just the tips mind you but both of the pipes had to be cut and welded to make it fit. Set me back $650 just for the rectification works...

moral of the story there would be, as i mentioned before, avoid knock off and crap brands (XO2/HKSreplica/BC/D2/JunBL/Nankang/ebay special/etc etc etc), pay a little bit extra and you get a product thats guaranteed to fit,look,sound and perform as expected. not only that but half the time by the time you pay to have the knockoff junk modified to fit you have spent as much as if you just got the proper stuff in the first place.

'do it once, do it right' springs to mind.

moral of the story there would be, as i mentioned before, avoid knock off and crap brands (XO2/HKSreplica/BC/D2/JunBL/Nankang/ebay special/etc etc etc), pay a little bit extra and you get a product thats guaranteed to fit,look,sound and perform as expected. not only that but half the time by the time you pay to have the knockoff junk modified to fit you have spent as much as if you just got the proper stuff in the first place.

'do it once, do it right' springs to mind.

Not always.. Motordyne Shockwave TDX V2 with ART pipes costs close to $2500 delivered and it has fitment issues (so i've heard from 2 blokes that have it) but i do get where you're coming from. Also i guess in the social side of things it would be better to tell your mates you have a "real HKS" exhaust or real anything for that matter. But in reality, it doesn't matter. Knock off's and genuine exhausts are that similar it's not worth paying double the money. I personally wouldn't give a f*ck telling people "yeah i've got a top speed HKS rep exhaust with a magnaflow x pipe" (for example) when that exhaust sounds SICK.

Motordyne is also American. Their version of 'bolt-on' requires cutting and welding equipment, and it doesn't matter what part you are talking about.

I believe the point that Iamhe77 was talking about was that the quality Japanese brand 'bolt-on' equipment is just that, bolts straight in with no modification required and the gains are there as the R & D has been done.

I can not tell you how much profanities came out from under my car when Iamhe77 & I fitted the Stillen exhaust to my V35.

Never to be forgotten mate and is why I would never put a US made exhaust on my car.

On another note and related to this, I looked into the Pathfinder cooling mod.

The pipe connection looks different in the ad so I asked if it was "bolt on with no modification required" as the ad said.

The reply from the US seller? "It does bolt straight on to the engine, but you will need to cut and weld the pipe".

Not quite the same as when the Japanese version of "bolt on".

(end result was we did our own. If any of you guys are interested, talk to Scotty-nm35 as he has made up a kit which works very, very well)

any time you do mods, you need to be prepared to be disappointed with some part of it. doesnt matter what car it is or how much youve paid for the luxury..

and other peoples perception of "perfect" may not be same as yours. exhausts for example, some people call loud ones perfect, others (eg: me) prefer quiet ones with a very slight note.

Edited by Deep Dish V35

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to my original post. Got the Magnaflow x-pipe installed a couple of days ago. I expected the exhaust guys to remove the XO2 H pipe and reweld the Magnaflow x-pipe in its place but instead they kept my H pipe and replaced the 350GT extensions with the x-pipe instead. So, the system now runs as follows: headers > cats > y pipe> h pipe> resonators > x pipe> mufflers.

Not sure if it would have been any different but I can safely say that the 90% of the drone has been eliminated. The low notes have been preserved and if anything, have been refined by the x-pipe. So Sean, spot on as advised by your Facebook buddies.

Will be aiming to get a decent sound recording soon. Will post it up once that's done.

Cheers guys.

Edited by thinktea

• 7 months later...

Just an update to my original post. Got the Magnaflow x-pipe installed a couple of days ago. I expected the exhaust guys to remove the XO2 H pipe and reweld the Magnaflow x-pipe in its place but instead they kept my H pipe and replaced the 350GT extensions with the x-pipe instead. So, the system now runs as follows: headers > cats > y pipe> h pipe> resonators > x pipe> mufflers.

Not sure if it would have been any different but I can safely say that the 90% of the drone has been eliminated. The low notes have been preserved and if anything, have been refined by the x-pipe. So Sean, spot on as advised by your Facebook buddies.

Will be aiming to get a decent sound recording soon. Will post it up once that's done.

Cheers guys.

Hi mate, where did you get this done? Revzone?