SAU Community

Guard Rubbing In 34 Gtr. Offset Or Tyre Profile Problem?

Iron Mike

Hi guys, just bought a set of 275/35R19 tyres and had them fitted to my rims 19x10 + 20. I am getting some fairly significant rub on full lock and at any time the car bounces while driving (oh yeah aso have adjustable coilovers). Would you guys say it's because of the 35 profile on the tyres or the +20 offset of the rims? Do you think if I went to a lower profile tyre (30) it would alleviate this problem?

What tyre sizes (and rim size with offset) are you guys running on your GTRs and do you get any rub? Cheers

ps. I am aware there is a similar thread already running, however I thought this would be easier for the 34 GTR owners rather than sifting through pages of forums, with this thread also specifically being about tyre rubbing :)

Edited by Iron Mike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i haven't got a gtr, the 30 profile will only help in the same way as raising the car slightly, assuming the guards are rolled already, you could try a stretched tyre, raising it up, more camber or more offset depending on where it's rubbing on full lock

This ^

Raise the car until it doesn't scrub or roll guards

Just for ur interest I've got 18x10 + 18 with ku36 265/35 all around and these tyres are chunky with no stretch

Raised the car afew millimeters and no rubbing

This is on 32 gtr, ur 34 has bigger guards

Dunno if you guys have seen it, but i used the miata tyre calculater to check the tyre sizes. I had stretched 245/45-18 on my last rims, which were 18x9.5 + 12, and with the new tyres, the diameter/radius of the whole wheel is almost identical, which leads me to believe that it probably isn't the profile of the new tyres causing the rubbing and may just be the wider tyres or the higher offset with the current rims (+20 as opposed to +12 on the 18")...

Yep 19x10 with a 275/35 - what do you expect?

You can fit 18x10.5 with a 285/30, still have a little rubbing if it's too low - this is all the same stuff we went over in your other threads anyway.

this. You asked if it would scrub, we said yes, you didnt listen

Yep 19x10 with a 275/35 - what do you expect?

You can fit 18x10.5 with a 285/30, still have a little rubbing if it's too low - this is all the same stuff we went over in your other threads anyway.

What tyre/offset combos in 19" do you think would minimise this problem or is it inevitable? I remember guys with GTRs running 19s with no rub, just cant remember what tyres and offset :/

First of all a 275/35 is a dumb size, there is no other way to put it. It's so wrong it's not funny...

Anyway you need a 275/30 - then you get an extra ~1cm to play with. It's MUCH closer to stock diameter which will stop your speedo being "too" far out. With a 35 profile tyre it'd be so far out it'd be ridiculous.

Either way you cannot have both (10" rim and a 275/35) if you want it remotely close to lowered.

You want lower you have to go with a 275/30.

OR

Going back to a 265/30 on a 9.5 and it's over 1cm and almost the same diameter as factory - which is what most people do

Only reason I didn't go for the 30 profile was that many people were saying it's really bad for the rim if you hit a pot hole, but I dont know seriously how much difference going up to a 35 profile would make anyway. Secondly the diameter of the wheels im running now are almost identical (only 2 mm larger) to the diameter I had when I was on 245 18s with a 45 profile...

You'll end up rubbing on the inner guard would be my guess.

As i said a 18x10.5 & 285/30 combo will rub with a moderately lowered 34GTR on the inner guards. Going 19s isn't going to make it any less likely even going a 275 which is only marginally smaller

Hey Anthony, can you please send me pictures of your wheels and where it rubs. I'm looking at getting the same wheels but with +12 offset and dont know if its only going to compound my problem. What made you go for the 35 profile also?