SAU Community

R33 Series 1 Motor Running A Series 2 Power Fc. Not Working!

filo_a31

I bought a power fc which came out of a series 2 r33, plugged it in. But it doesnt power up (hand controller doesnt turn on, fuel pump doesnt prime, no injector pulse etc). Plugged the standard computer back in, and it works fine.

The reason why I bought this power fc is because the majority of people say that series one and two both run the same computers.

Today i got my power fc checked by a profesional to see if it shit itself, but he said it's sweet.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllppppppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

That's the next step i reckon. Don't know if i trust the guy who checked it out, even if he is a "professional".

Got a guy at work that has a series 2 motor in his VL, and a mate with a series 1 r33. So i'll probably just give them a go. I dont reckon my wiring is wrong because the standard computer works fine, so it has to be computer related it would seem

What's your serial number? If it starts with ECR010 then it's series 2, or RB25 for series 1.

There is no s1 or s2 power FC, the one model suits both s1 and s2.

The ECR and RB25 codes simply determine whether it's an older model or newer (still old) model power fc.

Test in another car to make sure it's not stuffed, if it works then have a look at your wiring, check voltage at everything that should have 12v and make sure the earths are good. You could have a dodgy wire somewhere that's supplying enough power/earth for a standard ecu but not enough for the FC, they do draw slightly more power.

Oh, you may have one of the relays near the ecu missing.

Its strange but the standard ecu doesnt require this particular relay, but the pfc does. From memory I thinks theres supposed to be 2?

Its the eccs relay that u guys are talking about.

The ecu requires battery backup power and ignition power to 1 pin. Then the eccs relay is teased via a negative pin which inturn powers the eccs relay powering the next 2 power inputs into the ecu turning it on.

The reason for this is so when the ignition key is turned off the ecu can hold the eccs relay on to keep the ecu powered for 1 second to allow it to save data to NVRAM. This isnt detrimental to the stock ecu however with a power fc it wont store any changes in the tune without this happening.

Op try the ecu on a mates car first. If it doesnt work on that then it may be a faulty ecu.

I have just had this happen to me recently and a warranty claim has been started for the power fc

***UPDATE****

Power fc works perfectly on my mates VL with rb25det series 2.

I think you guys may be right about that relay. makes perfect sense.

I'll let you's know how i go

• 1 month later...

Compare these two diagrams i got from this website. Pin 17 is one of them. Ignore the fact that it says R32. Apparently r32 and r33 series one are the same, And R33 series 2 are the same as R34 series one.

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Pinouts

RB20_ECU_Pinouts.jpg

RB25DET_ECU_Pinouts.jpg

My auto electrician did it so I'm not exactly sure, but i just checked the diagrams to make sure he wasn't bullshitting me to get some extra cash. Pretty sure he said there were 2 wires that needed swapping around