SAU Community

Conversion Question!

Fanta pants...

Hey everyone.. I have deffiently searched and found a fair bit of useful information.. I am looking to do a rb26 conversion on my r32 gtst "I can't afford a gtr, and I can't part with my gtst".. I would like to clarify a few things before I go ahead with the conversion!

Can I use a r33 gtr motor?? People only seem to be using r32 rb26's in the r32 gtst, I thought all rb26 motor where basically the same or am I missing something?

Apart from it being a lot easier to change the turbo's when the motor is out of the car is there any other reason to change the turbo's? I did read something about if the motors sit for awhile the turbos tend to give up not long after being put into service again!

While the motor is out I will be replaceing the following:

Timing belt and seals

Water pump

Oil pump??

Inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets

Rocker cover gaskets

Thermostat

Rear main

All other typical serviceable parts

Baffeld sump

Any thing I miss??

Thanks for your help guys

The only real difference between the 33 and 32 engine is the heater hose size and a few plugs are in a different spot. But apart from that they are the same

You will need to cut the front diff off of the sump and have all the holes welded up

Hey chris, Having nearly complete an RB26 conversion in my GTS4, which i think would be alot more staight forward then a RWD car like your.

I can tell you right now, IF you cant afford a GTR, you will not be able to afford this conversion, Unless ofcouse you are doing all the work yourself, then you will save a a few thousand, bu tin my case it was all workshop done.

Yes you can use any Rb26, But while its all apart, You should do everything at once, IE Build motor, fix oil issues. Turbos ect ect.

For a solid set up, you will be looking around the $13k mark, and thats whith some used parts, then labour and consumables ontop of that, There are always little annoying things that pop up, Break and are not through of, Now were talking over 20k + already,

you have no intention of AWD i take it? you will need to get a RWD sump and swap them over.

Dont forget this basics which all add up like, R34 gtr dump pipes, Front pipe, New exhaust?. ECU, PS pump, clutch, catch can, airbox, FMIC, and custom piping